WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States
Not Afraid #11 + 12

This shot of #11 is wip and I can't get a finished version right now bc it's hanging in a show. Will try to update sometime this week.

Just finished #12 - of a shot of the Mojave desert - done in about 2 hours and on a new ground - gessoed hardboard. Tried several ways to get the color balance right on the photo - the blue is still overpowering it, but it's close I guess. Turns out Joshua trees are hard to do.

Looking at this now that it's loaded - really a lot of reflection off the wet paint so the lights are reading much brighter than IRL. Probably should wait to post, but as long as I've gone this far, may as well.
Anyway, would love to hear what you think works, and what doesn't. Thanks!

Last edited by tuzigoot : 03-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Re: Not Afraid #11 + 12

Linda, the first one is breathtaking! Stunning textures, and I love that rusting tin roof. I hope you'll post the finished version, as I already love this as is! The second one is very majestic! Excellent sky! I'm really enjoying your painting challenge. Keep it up!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Tuzi!.. Nice paintings.. Like Jenna, I very much like the buildings in the first one. At first I was drawn to the red barn.. but then the little white house grew on me.. reminds me of a few places I've been to.

The second one has a great dramatic sky.. love the colors and brushwork in the sky.
you never said the size of these paintings, just curious.

woody

Last edited by Tonalist : 03-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States

Woody and Jenna ! Thanks so much - encouragement is good! Woody - they're both 9x12. I absolutely hate whining about photo quality, but I can not get #12 right. Just tried again w ambient AM light but no go - lights are still washed out and not enough grey in the sky. Also noticed last might that the intersection of the big mtn on the right and the other one on the left is preCISEly in the center of the painting. It's worth fixing I guess, so back to the easel!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hey Linda,

Love that white house and laundry hanging...
My trick to seeing if a painting is working is always to look at it in black and white. Because if something is wrong, it is usually first a problem with values.
I think it might be helpful here too, so here's the Desert one in grayscale.

The first thing that I noticed was that the ground is as dark as the mountains. It could probably come up a few notches in value.
And, if you look closely, you can see that the values in the background mountains are in some places as dark as the values in the Joshua tree and other foreground areas. Typically as things recede into the distance, the values get lighter, and the value changes get smaller
Anyway, you might consider creating some more contrast in the foreground area and the tree to bring them forward more....
hope that helps.
deb
my blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Catherine1

I am enjoying your journey.. You will only get better and better!!
Deb has a great point.. I think the most helpful thing anyone ever taught me with landscapes is foliage can never be more #3 value in sun if you use a 1-5 value scale. So it is a good gauge on where to start with your value shifts.
Also you may want to stick to the same ground, media, brushes etc. You will get better quicker if you don't keep adding new things on top of what your trying to accomplish already.

I like the transition and colors you have with the first one.. The tin roof is really well done.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Nice Linda - I like the first one as well. ~Don

CLICK HERE to visit my Image GalleryCLICK HERE to visit my Website
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona

Hails from United States

Linda..the grey scale thing does help to see values and values are a big key to the success of the painting. I know the journey you are on (I'm on it too, and it never comes easily). But your no fear attitude will overcome all hurdles..keep at it girl.

Max
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States

Hi all - and thanks for weighing in. Deb you are right about the values, and I have to say that it really isn't that bad IRL. I really messed w the photo trying to get the color balance right and ended up changing contrast and brightness too. The desert floor is a bit dark, but this is right after sunset when the available light is mainly a general glow from the clouds. If I were to do this again, I would surely take your advice, but I doubt I'll redo it unless I decide to fix that tree. For the 3rd or 4th time...
I may try to photograph it again w the nikon after it dries so you can see what it actually looks like - sky and light on the mtns are pretty cool. Now about that foreground tho...

Thanks again!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States

Just got back from the gallery and got this quick photo of the final version of the kudzu laundry house. Not a lot of changes - some sky holes, tweaked the light in the fg, added soime puddles to the path.

Thanks!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Very nice finish on this, Linda! I really like that there's more definition in the foreground. Great puddles! I like the other changes as well. Great work!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

I sure enjoy these. And enjoy following your progress. Lovely paintings and your determination is inspiring.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States

Ron, Jenna, I appreciate your interest in all this. Only another painter could care! Glad to hear you think that progress is actually being made; if you could see the disaster currently lurking on my easel you might take back those words, Ron. I'm very close to wiping the whole thing off. Getting really curious to find out the results for that show the kudzu laundry piece (also Old Taos Church) is in. Gallery reception is Saturday - flip flops and shorts mandatory.