WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Beginner Color - how do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHand
everything in your question can be mastered by mastering two skills:

1. color matching (look at the photo or scene)

2. color mixing, paint mixing (make the paint to match the color you see in the photo)

but that does nothing to explain why an artist might select something other than the color observed in the photo. that can be a much more in depth topic. it is also worth noting that staring into the sun is not something that can be reproduced with selecting a hue and value from a tube of paint. fluorescent colors convert ultra-violet light energy into visible light energy thus increasing brightness beyond the limits of the daylight being observed. an artist with mastery and understanding of many things is not limited to painting only what is actually observed. they can do anything they desire for any reason. colored light and the illusion of darkness can drastically change the actual colors of paint used to imply the perception of natural spaces, lights, scenes, objects etc..don't worry about this at first. it is right there in the books you will read when you become an advanced student of oil colors.

Good points!

That is the reason a real artist needs to familiarize him/herself with the limitations of photographs, in order to be able to correct those typical photographic aberrations during the painting process.

Such items as the correct color of a cast shadow in a sunset-type of scene, comes to mind. Such a color won't show in a photograph, but it should be included in the painting.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

I think the Burnt Umber/Burnt Sienna addition to the primaries makes it much easier to create darker values (Ultramarine Blue + Burnt Umber makes a black) and more natural earthy tones.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard P
I think the Burnt Umber/Burnt Sienna addition to the primaries makes it much easier to create darker values (Ultramarine Blue + Burnt Umber makes a black) and more natural earthy tones.

Yes, I use that combination all the time.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Awesome points everyone, I am learning so much!

I am working on training my eye to see colors instead of things. So prior to me wanting to paint/draw, when I looked at the world I saw things: a rock with a shadow on grass. But now I look and that shadow is a darker, slightly less saturated green-yellow color with a specific shape. I'm... deconstructing what I see into shapes, edges, and colors. My wife has started looking at me funny while I stare blankly into the distance - she probably thinks I am going senile, when what I am trying to do is see the world in a different way.

And... the more I do that, the more realistic my art is becoming. I feel like I've started to understand the "secret" to making art.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenFaltor

I am working on training my eye to see colors instead of things. So prior to me wanting to paint/draw, when I looked at the world I saw things: a rock with a shadow on grass. But now I look and that shadow is a darker, slightly less saturated green-yellow color with a specific shape. I'm... deconstructing what I see into shapes, edges, and colors. My wife has started looking at me funny while I stare blankly into the distance - she probably thinks I am going senile, when what I am trying to do is see the world in a different way.

And... the more I do that, the more realistic my art is becoming. I feel like I've started to understand the "secret" to making art.

the best tip I can give you for when you are walking outside looking at things is to note the color of the sunshine sunrise sunset cloudy skies etc.. they are all different colors of ambient light. non-artists will adjust automatically and see the grass as the same exact green in all lighting conditions.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 01:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:

You surely HAVE! You are beginning to see, and to think like an artist (painter).

Every day I view the desert mountains in the distance from my home in Glendale, AZ, I take note of their color, how they compare to the color of the sky, and I mentally decide what specific colors on my palette I'd select to mix those exact colors. Wanna' see "purple mountains"? Yep, they really ARE!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:

just do not forget that gesture and structure and value still come before COLOR in the path of creating a visually pleasing work. See how the forms flow and blend, how the colors flow and blend.. how the forms create structure and how the color create structure.

Then you can decide when to suppress or enhance color changes.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:28 PM

I too have struggled with the mystery of color mixing.

I recall my first painting classes with mixed emotions. Struggling to mix a color until it was my turn for the teacher to look at my efforts. He would look at my paints and get a perfect match with a few swirls of the brush. He would share a few words of wisdom and I'd be ok until I needed to mix the next color...

I decided to look deeper into the mystery of color mixing and see if it can be solved by computation. As expected I found there was science to the mystery and I identified an algorithm that could select colors to mix another color.

Using this knowledge I have written an app that goes some way to solving the mystery. It can select colors from your own paint collection to mix your target color. Indeed it can find up to 10 different mix solutions depending on the range of colors available to choose from.

The Palette Composer - An artists aid to color mixing will choose the colors to mix to get the best matches it can find for a required color.

In addition, if you mix a solution on your palette board you can temporarily add the mixed color to your palette allowing the Palette Composer to use it to mix other colors.

I don't suppose I'll ever make wizard status but using this app has certainly improved my color mixing skills and I'm sure its saved me a lot of wasted paint!

If you take a look at the web page (http://gujomo.weebly.com) it explains the app in more detail and gives an example mix solution and how to mix it.
Currently it is available through the Play Store on Android devices and Chrome books.

I hope this helps you too! If you do try it, I would appreciate any feedback about your experience with it and any ideas to enhance it.

Happy color mixing, and I hope you make it to wizard status some day!

Last edited by JMG170 : 10-10-2019 at 02:37 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG170
Currently it is available through the Play Store on Android devices and Chrome books.
It seems like your APP is really helpful & fun! Have you tried making it available at the Microsoft Store?