WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 AM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland
abstract landscape

Hi painting friends just been working on my latest abstract landscape. It is 16 x 12 inches, I do have a frame for it hence why the measurement is quite exact. I am going to do a few this size hoping I can find some more canvases in the art room!! This is a location in the Grampian mountains, no houses, boats or anything else that you may think you are seeing! There is still room for improvement but am keeping going with these and will not destroy this one, sadly my Robert Hardy inspiration works I threw away. I think I was still missing my misty smooth paintings but in truth I can't paint that way anymore, I have to accept that and move onto pastures new. Always good to hear your comments, many thanks Caroline
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Re: abstract landscape

This is very interesting. I am wondering, since you are doing a "landscape", do the thoughts one normally has about landscapes, such as cool colors in depth and warm colors in foreground, filter through your mind as you are creating things like this?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Well Caroline, you are following your destiny, which is to produce these beautiful abstracts! What amazes me is that you always come up with something new. You keep them fresh and interesting and the colours are always different. Needless to say this is yet another winner, and please don't throw any away. Nothing you do deserves the bin!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Awesome color in what to my eyes appears to be a mountain in the far distance & a very colorful valley beneath it - truely a piece of fine art in the abstract - wonderful work.
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 06:03 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hello oldnmartist, I have been a painter all my life and my mother was also an artist. I also tutor art but not in abstract art! But I did look at an interesting article about abstract landscape art and it does inform the artist to follow the same guidelines as when painting a non abstract landscape. More than being aware of warm and cool colours I am aware of where I have to place my shapes to draw the eye around the canvas, also how to use colour. Tonal values and design is very important, as important as using colour! But I am still learning as abstract is very new to me, I am enjoying the challenge. Thank you for asking.

Thank you so much Bizzi you always write so nicely and encourage so much. I am constantly trying to bring some sort of interest into these works. For too long my works have been too horizontal, so my mission is to get shapes working within the landscape better than they have been! I do regret the ones that ended up in the bin, but never mind, I will not put this one in the bin nor future ones, as it is all a learning process.

Hi Richard, you have indeed seen the scene as I had hoped you would. Mountain and valley! Thank you so much for your encouraging words, much appreciated.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

I looked at the painting and thought the top half looks like clouds in mountains. It was mountains. Maybe not totally abstract. Gary
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 01:04 AM
A Local Legend
Denmark Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Caroline - A lovely integration of shapes, colors & value range. The overall textured effect works well & unifies the artwork nicely. Well Done !

Michael.

'EARTH' without 'ART' is just 'EH'!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Immortalized

I'm really loving your abstract landscapes Caroline - I love how you use color and shape in this piece - beautiful
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

It reads as mountains to me Caroline - looking down from a high point towards the continuing range. It has a bleakness, yet its quite uplifting with feeling that clarity is about to emerge. Beautiful.
Is it not that you cant do the smooth painting, but that you don't feel like expressing yourself like that at the moment?
Arnie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Scotland

I like this a lot. I get the feeling of clouds scudding over the muir.

From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Scotland

I like this a lot. I get the feeling of clouds scudding over the muir.

From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Wonderful abstract Caroline! It has weight at the bottom and airy space at the top - and everything in between is open for our interpretation. I have no idea how you pull this off but it's fascinating and I look forward to seeing more! I also like your recent September Morning piece and enjoy the visible waves of energy from your knife and brush that sweep over the skies and sea as well as the land. There are no static, boring places; every area is part of the drama!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hi Gary, it is an abstract landscape which means it has does convey some information to the viewer that is of something familiar to them.

Many thanks Ann, I am enjoying the series, never quite sure how they will turn out as I start a piece. Still a lot to learn as when I am finished I see how it could be improved when starting another painting.

Hello Arnie, thank you for your comment it is helpful to have your feedback on my painting, much appreciated. I don't get shoulder pain when working with the palette knife, so it looks as if this is a creative way forward for me.

Hello graphicali thank you for visiting me here and commenting on my abstract landscape attempt! It is an interesting journey and I am enjoying painting this series.

Hi Donna, rest assured I have no idea what I am doing but am enjoying the journey!! Many thanks for your lovely comments on both of my paintings
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Cleveland

Hails from United States

I love your abstract landscapes Caroline! Your new direction has been fun to view and learn from your creative process.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 02:33 AM

Hails from United States

I can see a landscape in your painting as well. To me, it looks like large oceanside cliffs shrouded in mostly in fog. Beautiful.

Rob