WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: *Watermedia Sketch Thread* August 2010

What a colorful conure Robert! I love those guys....
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! I like painting from video sometimes, it's a challenge almost like working from life if I don't pause it. Of course sometimes I do pause, but most of the time I at least try to get the subject without stopping to look at a still picture. They showed these cherry-headed conures so often during the movie that I was able to check and correct the body proportions pretty well.

I may do some more parrots and other birds again, it's fun doing birds. Like doing flowers or fruit, I can use all the bold bright full intensity colors and still be true to nature. That always rocks.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Oh my, so MANY great additions to the sketch thread.

Helen, your journal pages are charming, with your text right over the painting.

Robert, you just continue to explore and create. And all that you write is great to read, thoughtful feedback -- it extends my thinking and appreciation of what others are doing.

Quote:
I feel I shouldn't waste time on making bad art and get cross with my seemingly futile efforts, but I have to tell myself that I love and enjoy painting when I'm actually doing it, and not to worry too much about the result.

Ah, Xina, I can relate but think you are on the right track to just keep producing. Your yellow card experiment is particularly striking.As is the figures in the waiting room -- with the black. That WORKS!

While driving to Colorado and back, I did a series of quick sketches from the car when I wasn't needed to drive. Mainly watercolor graphite and pencil, with a bit of ink and watercolor crayon.

A doodle. partly begun while on the subway in SF.

Crossing Nevada

Hwy 70, Utah, between Salina and Green River -- the San Rafael Swell

Hwy 70, after the Eisenhower Tunnel bound for Denver. Stuck in TERRIBLE traffic.

University of Colorado Engineering College orientation. I was bored....

On the road north of Boulder to Ft. Collins

Moab Utah, going out with a jeep guide. Though the depth was not well caught, this jeep is coming up a VERY steep sandstone (slickrock) crack.

View from the top of the slickrock ridge, looking down onto the very red and muddy Colorado River. The rain on the previous day turned the river into molten terra cotta.

Our guide's jeep -- we had done this with him, and he went back up for a photo opp.

Early morning light - Dead Horse Point.

Sketching quickly as we drove, I never did get color in this, just a bit of water washed over the graphite. But I like the crisp line art style.

Two separate images, but which I could blend into one scene: juniper tree at the top of the mesa, and then looking down on the goose neck bend of the Colorado River.

The rich colors of the red rock country and the wonderfully abstract shapes of the cliffs are a pleasure to sketch.

Jen
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Linda ~
I got one of the Strathmore books last time I went to the art supply store. What I really like is that after you remove the paper cover, there is a fabulous textured hard cover on it. I bought the watercolor version in about 5" by 7" size. Haven't tried it yet.

Carole
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Carole- that is great to know! I hope to get some with the next Jerry's order!

Jen- those are all marvelous sketches!! I love the really colorful ones that remind me of the roots of your neighborhood! But all the rocks really ROCK!