Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil First colored pencil on drafting film

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sportpony

The last few things I’ve done have been on drafting film and the more I work on it, the better I like it. Very versatile. This is a small colored pencil piece I’ve done for a local art show in May in Kentucky. Started out longer, but cropped it back for better balance.

This is the 3rd I’ve done on drafting film and the 2nd in colored pencil … also the first ‘landscape’ type thing I’ve done.

Pingpongfan

Love the bee and the blossoms looks so soft and fresh. They fit in well with your landscape background. I bought a sheet of drafting film, but haven’t tried it or anything for that matter for a couple of years. I looked at your Facebook page and your dogs and horses are so well done. I wish you lots of interest and sales at the show.
            Vena

sportpony

Thank you. I think the show will be an education. Kentucky is very definitely craft oriented rather than hang on the wall fine art oriented and this will be the first art show I’ve done for 20 years, since I left MT. Very different market, if there is much market at all but looking forward to it.

marksmomagain

I love drafting vellum and have two small horse and a large landscape work on it now. I use predominately graphite combined with cp on it.

I also like the bee and the blossoms. Very Spring-gy.:)

sportpony

I really like the way graphite works on the drafting film and I’ve found that the Goldfaber colored pencils by Faber-Castell seem to work better on the film than any of the other colored pencils I have (mostly Prismacolors). The art supply stores I usually order from don’t seem to carry them in open stock, but Hobby Lobby does and I’ve found a couple of small used sets on eBay.

KaySilver

That’s a charming piece. Very fresh looking. I hope it’s a hit at the art show!

I’ve never used drafting film and am rather intimidated by the idea of it. I bought some a while ago but it seemed so flimsy – I couldn’t imagine it standing up to all my layering and erasing. It’s still sitting in a cupboard.

I’d be very interested to hear what the advantages are from those who are preferring it. Also, any tips for using it.

sportpony

Most of my work has been done in graphite and that’s what I started with on drafting film. It has enough tooth to hold the graphite well, you can get wonderful detail with it, though it does require a very light hand, doesn’t do a lot of layers.

Color has been trial and error for me as I’m still learning how to use both colored pencil and pastels effectively. So far, like it, though.

What I like most about it is the depth you can get when you use both sides of the film as well as the effects you can get with layering. The photo I’ve posted is a WIP that shows one of the ways I use the layering, foreground done on drafting film, laid over a graphite sketch on Bristol for the background.

What I’ve had to learn is a much lighter touch and the fact that it doesn’t accept many layers. It does erase quite well and I’ve used a knife blade to scrape off an area for a total re-work. Both tend to flatten what tooth is there and I’ve been experimenting with covering everything except the exact area I need to rework and spraying lightly with a textured spray. That seems to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.