Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Storing your colored pencils

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ReZilientInk

Hello,

I was just wondering how some of you store your colored pencils. I have a case that holds 120 which is great when taking them on the go somewhere, however, it is a pain at home as the pencils are difficult to get out of the tight straps. I have considered just taking them out of the case and putting them in a small drawer, and just using the case when needed to travel with. My concern though is breakage issues as about 85% of my colored pencils are the mexican made prismacolors. Just curious how some of you store yours?

ocmd123

Can We See Your Pencils will give you some ideas. There are two earlier threads in the CP Library. Mine live in a pencil roll. When I am working on a piece, I pull the pencils I will be using, and they live in mugs until the piece is finished. A very fancy system. :D

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
            Instagram

Save

clydeine

I took crystal light containers, cut them off and store my prismas by color in these containers on a lazy susan. They are on a little table next to my art table. The ones that I am using, I keep on my art table next to the piece I am working on. I have yet to find a system I like better though occasionally one will roll off onto the floor.. not good. I have tried putting those I am using in another container, but it makes it harder to find the exact pencil I need since I frequently use colors that are similar. I have had as many as 60 pencils out at one time. I have currently 15 pencils out. I am cheap what can I say. Now my Faber-Castell’s stay in their tin.

Mado

Hi Clydeine,
                    To prevent the pencils you are using from rolling, try a piece of corrugated cardboard like number 2 on the photo below.
                    Cheap and handy ;)

My blog : click

kendell

I like to store my cp’s flat, as I think it helps me see them better. I tried the booklet storage, but it was a pain getting them in and out of the elastic binders. So I got shallow black jewelry boxes that nest/stack. You can find them online. Then pick up nubbly drawer liner at Wal Mart, and cut to fit in each tray so the pencils don’t slide around. A little strip of this does the trick to lay beside your board for your ‘active’ pencils too. I think I read about this on Alonya’s site. Also, on Ester Roi’s site for Icarus, she details her storage system, which I like even better, but it takes quite a bit of handy work to assemble. Sort by color.

My pencils stay in their tins, I keep the ‘active’ ones in a honey pot and a plastic desk tidy (5 plastic tubes) but mostly I end up with a handful as I work. The corrugated card is a great idea!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly.... on a broomstick, we're flexible like that. :lol:
                        Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/debstanleyart
                        Instagram debstanleyart

cindyv4

:wave: I am unable to post a pic of what I do. I have a wicker basket with liner. I have taken the old crystal light containers and cut them in half as well as foil tubes, paper towel tubes and tp tubes.

I have placed these in the basket and sort my pencils in them standing up according to color. I also store the portable sharpener and erasers in there as well, and any blending material needed.

They are secure and readily available when I get the whim. I can carry the basket and all supplies easily from room to room as well.:heart:

Set your soul free...create.

[SIZE=1]Life without laughter is meaningless.[/SIZE]

Cindyv4

Kiwi Girl

I use Japanese tea mugs (straight up and down with no handles) and sort by colour groups. I use grip mats to secure the mugs as my table slopes a little.

campeche

I was lucky enough (the vendor wasn’t however) to find an art supply store that was going out of business – I found an acrylic pencil that had 36 cubbies for pencils – I have divided into color groups – I would LOVE to find another one or two for my other brands of pencils. This cubby has been soooooooooo handy that I have been approaching different drug store cosmetic departments to have them alert me to the changing of displays – all of these displays end up in a land fill and they are amazing for artists. I also use those sticky drawer liners on my art table – they keep those extra pencils from rolling off of the table. Best of luck!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]~Patty[FONT=Book Antiqua]~
                                    http://pattyspaints.blogspot.com/
                                    http://patty-poole.artistwebsites.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Storing your colored pencils’ is closed to new replies.