WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Saint Johns FL

Hails from United States
Re: The Question of the Day Wednesday 29th January 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldfare
Sorry I missed the title there

I've only ever used plastic, in fact I didn't know metal palettes were a thing until just now! Now that I think of it though, the inside of a tin is always metal and painted. I wouldn't personally want any paint to chip off while I am mixing, so for that reason alone I would stick to separate plastic palettes.

Nothing to be sorry about. It as all my fault anyway; I should have made the question clearer.

https://marshall-harrison.blogspot.com/
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

I prefer what ceramic does to the paint's consistency. I have several of the Richeson glossy porcelain palettes, and a few similar condiment dishes from the restaurant supply store. Somehow the ceramic surface just seems to be more knowledgeable about what the paint wants to do and what the watercolorist wants to know about the paint. I like clean glossy white porcelain surfaces for mixing. But ceramic is hard to carry around, breaks easily, heavier than other options, so I'm weaning myself and getting more accustomed to the tin innards of my travel half-pan boxes. I have heard that you can nicely coat any old tin cookie or mint box with a few layers of spray-paint enamel (choose semi-matte white or a truly neutral grey for best view while color mixing). I should probably try that out. Plastic has the problem of beading up, unless you know how to control the beads to the right degree (rub with toothpaste, they say?). All of the complaints about various palette types and surfaces are really moot, just tempests in teapots, though, relative to the other challenges that watercolor brings. In a pinch you can probably make-do with an old magazine cover to mix your washes!

Last edited by cliftonprince : 01-30-2020 at 10:13 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 03:32 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Plastic either beads up or stains. I prefer the stains to the beads and as I use the same colours in the same areas staining doesn't trouble me. It doesn't rust.

Doug
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 02:11 PM

Yorky, try The Master's Brush Cleaner to get rid of the palette stains. My plastic palettes look like new using that stuff. Also, a light sanding or repeated cleanings will take care of the beading.

In answer to the question of the day, my next palette purchase will be the Robax 15" - 24 sloping well palette (the one with the carousel, so it spins). I just know it would be the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Just look at it. It's glorious. I've got the serious wants for this thing. Louise De Masi did a nice review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z6L856PnNA

Last edited by Elliria : 01-31-2020 at 02:13 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 02:21 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for the tip.

Doug