Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Grey Squirrel

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    katwalk

Here is the 3rd drawing I have finished in the past couple of weeks. This one probably took the longest to do and was started prior to the other two. I was struggling with it a bit so kept putting it aside. In the end I am fairly pleased with how it came out.

Grey Squirrel in tree, from a photo I made several years back. Size is 6 x 6 inches on Stonehenge paper, pencils – various Derwents and Polychromos and as I recall some Luminance for the top layers.

I find flowers much easier to draw, fur/feathers/skin and the colors of it can be a challenge. I don’t find trees all that easy either. :lol:

ManedWolf

A cute li’l critter in the style of early-to-mid-1900s illustrations. Perhaps needing a bit more contrast?

Heikki

katwalk

Hmm, thanks Heikki but I don’t see how I could have done much more in the way of contrast. I don’t usually use black. Lights and darks are pretty much how my reference looked. More to the point the drawing has been sprayed with fixative, non-workable, so it is done, with all its flaws.

I am not looking for photo realism here, if I wanted a photo I would just print the original and I have done some simplification of forms and background.

huanghehe

It looks really nice! I like the moment you captured!

katwalk

Thanks huanghehe, I made this photo in Boston, MA in Feb 2016, we had had several weeks that winter with at least one snow storm a week so the ground was covered with a couple feet of snow (and yes I do mean feet) I was in the park area along the Charles River, the squirrels there (as in all Boston Parks) are habituated to people (they get fed) so I am fairly sure this one was looking for a hand out. :) But they make good photo subjects, esp compared to squirrels in more wild locations.

Delofasht

I agree with the idea of not wanting to create a copy of the photograph, the work I like tends to be designed in a such a way where the patterns of light and darks are designed in an appealing way. Your work captures that airy, outdoor, overcast, ambient light situation, where shadows just can’t get very dark because there is so much light bouncing around everywhere. There may have been slightly more occlusion shadow under the squirrel, but I can only guess that based on at least some sky light showing through.

Really great work here though, thanks for sharing!

- Delo Delofasht
                            KarenESP
                                Lorrainejoy

I like it and think you are doing a great job so far.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Lorraine Foster:wave:

katwalk

Delo

It was a bright sunny day in Feb. when I made the photo, light is bouncing around because the ground was covered in a couple feet of snow, so it was reflected up from the ground, also I lightened the photo a bit in Photoshop so I could get details rather than just draw a black area. My last problem was that the paper reached a point where it didn’t want to accept much more pencil, so some areas aren’t quite as dark as I would have preferred. Something for me to keep in mind on my next drawing.

If you are curious here is my reference:

Delofasht

Ah yes, there was more contrast in the reference. Not an issue with having changed it though, as it makes the mood much more attractive to me how you did it.

Keep up the good work. :)

- Delo Delofasht
                                            ocmd123

I love this. I really like the style. And the contrast of the squirrel against the blue sky. Well done!

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                                Instagram

Save

Boafamily

Cute little guy.

frida

My first response on seeing your drawing was that it was an illustration, and that is a well worthy style!!! What makes it more like an illustration could be the outline on the body, but again, it may be part of a style. :thumbsup:

You have done a great job with the tree bark, usually quite demanding. Also eliminating unnecessary details in the open space, which gives the eye more opportunity to pay attention to your furry creature…

Very well done! :clap:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

katwalk

Thanks everyone for the kind comments . Raquel, yes I consider these drawings as illustrations, though there is no story involved, just me choosing subjects that appeal to me. The ink outlines give me guides for the color, and I like the results. I could leave them out, but the results wouldn’t be what I am looking for.

Just finished a butterfly, which I will try to post tomorrow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.