Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Art Supply Addicts Anonymous – 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    robertsloan2

Time for a new year! Also time to go for those lovely End of Year Clearance Events online or in the stores. Post here if you got new supplies, unearthed something wonderful from the bottom of a drawer, just want to gloat on your collection. Online or offline, art supplies are a lot of fun to collect and use! And of course using something up is just reason to shop again!

And if you write a review of any of your supplies, please link to it in your post. I blog on mine, know there are reviewers I follow on YouTube and would be happy to see your videos and posts too!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

SnapV

I haven’t written in the previous years threads but I’m just so happy of the gift I got yesterday for New Year’s from my father so here I am :D

It’s the full 84 set of the Neocolor II crayons! Those and the Neocolor I are pretty much my favourite art supplies ever so this is a very big deal for me :)

I can’t wait to use them!

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

robertsloan2

Oooh that is so luscious! I love the Neocolor II crayons, think they are perhaps the most versatile art supply I own. Gorgeous colors and rich intense pigment load, with or without water they’re fantastic. Get a photo of them! Your dad gave you a fantastic gift there!

I treat them like oil pastels. They handle like oil pastels, but watersoluble and they are among the sweetest of them. If technically they’re crayons or something instead, so sue me, they handle like oil pastels and they rock.

Gifts are awesome!

I just made my first order of 2018… about $100 for a list of only 4 items. Of which about a fifth was necessities for a class I’m teaching on the 20th, 15 calligraphy markers. Also got some new Speedball nibs, 3 each of size 5 and size 6 which are smaller than the ones I already have – thought they only had those down to sizes 3 and 4 which are still pretty big. Yay for small letter sizes! That’s for my calligraphy stuff. Biggest extravagance, 30 color tin of Caran d’Ache Supracolor Soft watersoluble colored pencils. I had just one of those in a handful of samples and loved it, loved how it handled, how rich the color was, how darn soft and opaque it handled dry. It felt exactly like a Pablo but was watersoluble. So one step cooler than expensive Pablos.

Well, now will have a field kit of them in a little roll up case that I got last year, bought a bunch of them and found I still had an empty so didn’t order a new case for them. Roll up holds 36 so I can tuck in a few other related tools, white gel pen, calligraphy marker, etc. stuff. Will get a photo when the box arrives.

But from a previous order…

Sissy the Fluff Girl in her Blick box. She always enjoys my art supply orders, this is why!

She’ll have fun with this next box too.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

robertsloan2

I forgot to post these and review them when I first got them off Etsy at Adventurous Art Supply. I found the shop from a review by Karen Margulis. Mini Watercolor Palettes are a little pricy at $25 but not so bad for a metal palette – versus plastic.

They are literally the size of business card holders.

Mini Palette Closed

Mini Palette Open

I have two of them, this one with QoR watercolors and the silver one with tube gouache in it so I could try messing with tube gouache. The palettes are great. Super handy and if you like miniaturizing kit, this is the second smallest watercolor palette I have and has a lot more colors than the tiny Richeson 8 color one I replaced the kid watercolors in. The pans inside are magnetic and can be switched around. She included a few extras so I could choose whether to have lots of the half pan size ones or a big 1″ x 2″ at the end or two 1″ square ones at the end. I went with that to get all the colors in, but could have done smaller pans there too.

I should review these on my blog too, probably will some time this month now that I have pictures.

SnapV

Oh wow this is such a cool mini palette Robert! I favourited the Etsy listing so I can get myself one one day :P

I also really like the Supracolor they are an awesome pencil and I have a few of them too.

Here is the picture of my new Neocolor II set! I can’t wait to have the time to do something with them now XD

P.S. Your cat is adorable!

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

Hey all im Spike and im an art supplies addict and this holiday season and these past few weeks have been very good to me. Ive gotten alot of art supplies as gifts, bought a lot of stuff on clearance in art stores, stocked up the stufio and got a ton of new supplies on a new art supply site i have found with really good prices .

I will posts pics later but recently i have got a full set of prismacolor premier colored pencils, a full set of art stix and prismacolor watercolor pencils, some colorless blenders.

On the new site i found called Arteza (im not affiliated or anything just psyched to find new supplies) i got a set of 24 woodless colored pencils (actually recieved two sets of these because originally one pencil came broken i called them up about it and free of charge they sent a whole new set talk about good customer service!!) the set was only 10$ and claims to be lightfast too along with all their other supplies i asked a million questions to customer service and got quick replies in emails. A set of 72 fineliners that can be watersoluble for 20$ 48 watercolor brush markers made of brush hairs instead of the typical brush nib only 30$ two pads of markwr paper, and 6 waterbrushes for 9$

At michaels they had a clearance on grumbacher pretested oils so i grabbed a ton at 3 and 4$ And woodless ebony penicils to sketch with and canvases for commisions i just revieved

At blick i got a 8 round watercolor brush some new blick pastels and spare nupastels to add to my collection, just got a big strathmore cp pad, a set of some cheap loew cornell white nylon gesso brushes i love for acrylic painting and some pastelbords to sell some work and blick studio acrylics that i love to use to work big and some of their artist acrylics and utrecht acrylics as well as an xl watercolor pad 7*10 that ive been using to make studies for paintings and water media sketching in and some metal sharpeners and a black big pitt pen

And lastly amazons great too and i got some big sargent art beushes for murals a full aet of derwent graphic pencils, a tin set of derwent watersoluble pencils and i think thats all for now art supply addiction was in full on fever this last month ill post pics later

robertsloan2

Wow, you totally cleaned up there! Love it! You’re kitted for so m any different mediums, it’s beautiful. Definitely looking forward to the photos!

I lucked and picked up a full set of Prismacolor Premier on sale on the Blick holiday catalog, it was really low and so I got one for myself and one for my daughter, who loves it. Those 24 woodless pencil sets are lightfast, they’re very good quality and low price. It’s strange but they are that excellent. I use them in colored pencils painting when I want to cover very large areas because woodless ones wear down much slower and nothing’s wasted, then nuance them with the numerous Prismacolors over a base coat. Otherwise I wind up wearing down all the Prismacolors really fast.

Blick will do that with a broken pencil too, it’s one of the good things about ordering stuff online. If there’s ever a problem I wind up with free stuff. One time I ordered velour boards and they sent two the wrong color. So I got the two wrong color boards free when they replaced them with the color I ordered. It was awesome.

My package is now out on the truck for delivery, love it that Blick is so fast with shipping. I went ahead and paid for home delivery so it turned up in literally two days, blows me away when they do that.

Be sure to let me know about the Sargent Art nylon brushes. I’ve had problems with some other Sargent Art products in the past, particularly their children’s colored pencils which had crooked cores, were really hard and didn’t lay down much color at all. But they may have good nylon brushes, so now I’m curious. I know they’re a low price brand like Loew Cornell.

Nylon or taklon brushes, any synthetic is much better with acrylic than natural bristle. I found out the hard way what happens to bristle if it’s rinsed in water. The hairs soak it up and splay out until what I have is a sort of Old Broom style brush, suitable for texturing and not much else.

I have been drooling at the Blick Studio Acrylics set of 48 for a good long time now, all those different pigments and hues in one handy place. Might have to indulge eventually. They are so tempting!

More later, I’ll get a photo when the stuff arrives!

I love the blick studio acrylics theyre pretty good quality i think slightly better than the liquitex basics and when i want to stretch them out more i add some matte medium . And at 4.75 for a 8 oz tube its perfect. From what i tested the waterbrushes are awesome so ate the derwent watersoluble, arteza woodless watercolor pencils!

robertsloan2

Interesting. I have Koh-I-Noor Progresso woodless colored pencils, have also had a set of 72 Cretacolor woodless watercolor pencils. I liked those. They last a long time, they’re reasonably soft, very good pencils – the Cretacolor ones make a good kit if I only bring one set of pencils anywhere because of that. I didn’t know Derwent had any woodless ones, or do you mean Arteza has its own brand of woodless watercolor pencils? Oh right, Derwent had those really great woodless ones in a 24 color range. I used to have those and loved them. Then I couldn’t get them any more.

Got my package in!

The two little plastic bags above the pencils have 3 each of size 5 and size 6 Speedball C nibs for dip pens. Chisel tip nibs, actually small enough to do good calligraphy at a reasonably small size. There’s also 15 of the Elegant Writer Calligraphy pen markers, three of them for me and my grandkids, a dozen for my upcoming calligraphy class. They are 2mm chisel tip ones.

Center and brightest thing in the order, 30 Supracolor Soft watersoluble colored pencils! I love these. I had just one to sample them and wanted some for ages ever since, hadn’t gotten around to getting any till now. Here’s a photo of the tin wide open:

Love the colors on these!

The range of 30 is good enough for anything I’d want to do on the fly. There’s all the important hues plus some nice extras like Bluish Pale and both a red cast violet and a blue violet.

Interesting. I have Koh-I-Noor Progresso woodless colored pencils, have also had a set of 72 Cretacolor woodless watercolor pencils. I liked those. They last a long time, they’re reasonably soft, very good pencils – the Cretacolor ones make a good kit if I only bring one set of pencils anywhere because of that. I didn’t know Derwent had any woodless ones, or do you mean Arteza has its own brand of woodless watercolor pencils? Oh right, Derwent had those really great woodless ones in a 24 color range. I used to have those and loved them. Then I couldn’t get them any more.

Got my package in!

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Jan-2018/70184-1-6-2018_Pens_and_Pencils.jpg[/IMG]
                                The two little plastic bags above the pencils have 3 each of size 5 and size 6 Speedball C nibs for dip pens. Chisel tip nibs, actually small enough to do good calligraphy at a reasonably small size. There’s also 15 of the Elegant Writer Calligraphy pen markers, three of them for me and my grandkids, a dozen for my upcoming calligraphy class. They are 2mm chisel tip ones.

Center and brightest thing in the order, 30 Supracolor Soft watersoluble colored pencils! I love these. I had just one to sample them and wanted some for ages ever since, hadn’t gotten around to getting any till now. Here’s a photo of the tin wide open:

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/06-Jan-2018/70184-1-6-2018_Pencils_Open.jpg[/IMG]
                                Love the colors on these!

The range of 30 is good enough for anything I’d want to do on the fly. There’s all the important hues plus some nice extras like Bluish Pale and both a red cast violet and a blue violet.

So sorry bad with grammer and typing, arteza has their own line of woodless watercolor pencils which are so cool. Arteza is slowly becoming one of my fave brands for their prices and unique supplies. They also have woodless regular color pencils. Their colored pencils are very similar to the progressos pencils. The arteza woodless watercolor pencils are much softer than their own line of woodless colored pencils and much softer than the progressos as well im thinking a similar softness to the prismas perhaps.

I also have derwent watersoluble sketching graphite pencils in a small tin set of 6 didnt specify properly sorry; which i love i made some sketches with thise while out at museums and use the waterbrushes over. I also under a acrylic painting am gonna try it out.

Another thing i forgot was a 72 set of watercolor pencils by arteza which was an impulse buy online as i wanted free shipping so i loaded it all up in the cart and didnt want to pay for shipping on multiple orders. 72 watercolor pencils which claim lightfastness and have ratings on each pencil. Ill have to take pics i just got off from work, its been a long day and few days with catching sick ess and the snowstorms and shoveling.

robertsloan2

Those sound really great. Is Arteza available in the USA? What country are you in? I’m curious now because of what supplies you have available that I might not. Arteza sounds really good on a number of things.

I tested out the Supracolor Soft set on a quick, bright sketch of some flowers, it’s posted in Watermedia and in my Art Journals thread if anyone’s curious. These are wonderful, as good as I remembered the sample was.

Its an online only site and yes im in the US in New York wouldnt want it any ither way :) . Their shipping is a bit much but if you look or google search their can be discount codes or free shipping codes. So far with Arteza if theres been any problems in my three orders they fix it and they reply very fast over email and answer almost any questions ive had. I think they might be a new company or something because every few weeks or so it looks like they add a new range of supplies to their line and theyve emailed me saying they plan on adding more. Ill send you some links. I really hope my taste in supplies is a good one.

Those supracolor soft pencils look amazing. I love soft colored pencils , I have just noticed im getting a big preference towards soft

There is a downside that they dont have openstock on their products or at least not yet. But they definitely seem to have some supplies ive never seen until them or at prices i cant resist . Wish the pencils came in better cases .
                                    https://arteza.com

https://arteza.com/collections/markers/products/arteza-real-brush-watercolor-pens

https://arteza.com/collections/pencils/products/arteza-woodless-watercolor-pencils-set-of-24

https://arteza.com/collections/artist-brushes/products/arteza-water-brush-pens-6
                                    Hoping at work they fix my paycheck so then I can get some new papers, colorfix primer , and mount visions which i used to want for a while but now blick has them for 2.50 so my inner art supplies addict cant resist. I was wondering what colors I should get should i get colors i already have as theyre a different softness than my other pastels? Should i get some of their greys which look awesome or some lighter tones for finishing and bright vibrant colors as i like those most when i paint?

stock up on acrylics

almost all these oils were at a local michaels for between 3.29 and 5$!!! Never tried them out yet lmk if you guys have yet

the arteza woodless cps and woodless watercolor cps , both look identical and they have the same
                                    Color range as eachother but youll know by softness which is which and initial packaging says. They got cool review videos on their sites thats what dragged me into them ughhh art addiction.

amazon had this palette knife set for 4$!
                                    fineliners not overly thrilled about these but i didnt have drawing pens so i had to for 17$
                                    waterbrush set various sizes very convenient for sketching on the go it seems, theyre the first waterbrushes ive tried so dont take my word here
                                    watercolor brish markers took a few practice scribbles to get used to but man these are intense and fun https://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php# sargent brushes loew cornell abd a clearanced Simmons

So sorry if I posted too much i got more pics but thats all its letting me for now hope i didnt break any rules:(

the full set of prismacolors :angel: they look almost too nice to touch i cant wait to get to it

prisma wc cps
                                    some open stock pastels at blick to help fill up my range gottttta get more never enough color
                                    gonna be using these today ill post that in the acrylics forum and here if wanted
                                    carbothellos!! They changed the eraser that came with their set from when i got my initial set a few years back which was my fave eraser ever, however these are still great and for now come with a free set of stabillo pens at blick online
                                    derwent watersoluble sketch tin on amazon , comes with 2 of each darkness? Light wash medium wash and dark, the mesium and dark are very close, and the light can build up to medium dark washes, also works well on canvas, the pencil sharpener in the set came shattered so i replaced it with my usual metal maped 79 center from blick
                                    derwent graphics, been wanting these for a whipe and always wanted a full range of graphite pencils,and at amazon theyre under a dollar a piece in this set
                                    the arteza wc pencils these also are on amazon but a bit more expensive there still lower cost than anything ive seen that claims lightfastness, the ratings arent on all sides of the pencils and they do have a bit of a wood scent to them and they have odd names for some colorsbut once i go past them and tried it out i noticed their lines dissolve wonderfully with not much initial line lft over from when i put it down , way cool medium hardness id say art stix!! These will be a match made in heaven for me in cp work as imm most comfortable in pastel but i like woeking large thesell save my pencils alot in theory, too bad they dont have all the colors in these anyway sorry for all the posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.