Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture “Montie” the bondo sculpture

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yax

This sculpture is entitled “Montie”, and now stands at the end of my driveway. It is done using bondo (auto body filler). I first made a solid structure of wood and metal braces. Then I layered the entire piece with small mesh steel wire. Next the whole sculpture was covered with fibreglass. The next process was to apply the bondo. This step took some doing as it dries very fast, and you can only apply a small amount at a time. After I applied a section of the bondo, I then shaped that area. I continued working an area at a time until the whole sculpture was shaped and sanded. The last thing was to paint and varnish it. The finished sculpture has been featured in a Montana and Hawaiian news papers.

Yax

This is a full view of Montie. It is life size, and even I get startled when I come around the house and there he is.

Hi Yax,
            Welcome to Wetcanvas. Montie has alot of good detail work on him. I’ve heard of sculpting with Bondo but haven’t tried it.
            Frank

Yax

Thanks Frank, My suggestion to you if you ever consider doing a bondo piece, start with a small piece first. I had no experience working with bondo before I started this project, and just dove into it. It certainly has it’s up-sides, i.e. it sands and paints up nice. The down-side is, it is a chemical, and you must use precautions in working with the stuff. Yax

Yax, that’s great!
                It would spook me to have something like Montie outside my house, too… but that would be part of the fun.

What did you use to paint him, do you feel it’ll be durable? Did you have to seal it afterwards to protect against wind and weather, do you think you’ll ever have to repaint, etc?

I’m sure bondo is pretty durable stuff, which is why I end up wondering about the paint instead.

-=- Jen “Montie. That’s great.” de la Cruz

Yax

Hi Jen, Yes it is fun. Almost everyone who comes up to the house has positive comments about the sculpture. As far as this being durable, I think it should hold up for a long time, and if ever it fades I can just touch it up. It certainly is structurally sound, and I took a great effort to put a good finish on it. I first applied several coats of autobody primmer, and then used artist acrylic paint. The final job was 3 coats of satin marine spa varnish. Yax

Gary B

Yax…

This is great!

I’ve long wanted to to a life-size tyranasaurus in the same technique for the area in front of my studio. A bit ambitious, time-wise, but maybe, someday. And then there’s the 18 ft replica of the Santa Maria I want also (18 inch model made). I wish there were four of me.

I did, however finish my functional 8 ft tall Penny-Farthing (antique big wheel bike) and have it in my studio entrance. It screams “antique”. I’ll get it on here soon.

Love your sculpture

Gary

——————
                        It’s just a matter of time.

"First you get you a pen and a ink."
                        Yax

Thanks for the kind words. I don’t know if I’ll do another large sculpture using bondo. There are other ways that are less time consuming. I have got an idea floating around in my head for a large kinetic piece. We have some good winds here, and I would like to harness that energy. I haven’t decided on the materials yet. Gary I checked out your web site and you are doing some great things, and moving in so many directions. Yax

This is soooo cool… I love the face on the man.. do people like this and stop to see???
                            Rox

——————
                            everywhere I see art!
                            my pages..brag..brag..brag
                            http://members.nbci.com/slyasthecat/Index.htm
                            http://members.nbci.com/c_hikers/Index.htm

Everwhere I go I see art!
                            view my photos at:
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/clem35yeahhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/carolinas_hikers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.