WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States
CP removal with "make-up" pad?

Some post I read here in the last couple of weeks -- (post may have been older) mentioned using make-up pads or make-up cleaning pads for "erasing" CP. However that was not the subject of the post and the search function on my wet canvas does not work -- except when I try to go somewhere-- then it says " no match found" grrrrr--

Anyway if anyone knows about this removal tip -- and is able to suggest a brand name,, could you please post here -- It would be very much appreciated by this newbie!
Thanks!

Clair

Last edited by clairmilanovich : 08-19-2019 at 01:22 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Mississippi

Hails from United States
Re: CP removal with "make-up" pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairmilanovich
Some post I read here in the last couple of weeks -- (post may have been older) mentioned using make-up pads or make-up cleaning pads for "erasing" CP. However that was not the subject of the post and the search function on my wet canvas does not work -- except when I try to go somewhere-- then it says " no match found" grrrrr--

Anyway if anyone knows about this removal tip -- and is able to suggest a brand name,, could you please post here -- It would be very much appreciated by this newbie!
Thanks!

Clair

Are these make-up pads fused with a cleaner/solvent? Are you referring to a particular type? I have some plain make-up pads that I bought at Walmart but rarely use them. I haven’t ever observed anything about these particular pads that would erase CP, graphite etc. I have noticed with a very light CP layer that they smear and take away from the depth/vibrancy as it blends with the non layered parts of the paper.

I am curious, though. So maybe someone can chime in and let us both know.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

I haven't seen that post, but could it have referred to nail varnish remover pads? The stuff on those is pretty strong, and I imagine it would disolve/remove CP (though I'd also imagine it would damage the paper as well).
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Know absolutely nothing about the onses mentioned in the post --but it was a definite act of removal using the pads -- that was mybe 2 weeks ago that I saw the post and then about 3 or 4 days ago I saw someone on youtube actually do it -- but alas they did not list the name of the pad and I can't remember the video name -- but it sure worked -- it was the kind of mark you make accidentally when you are sketching and the pencil slips -- one wipe and the mark was gone.

I have been crawling over my history anc I try again -- if I find the video I will post a link here.
Thanks for joining in...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:31 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairmilanovich

Thanks!

Clair

By chance I read a very old thread (from 2008 (!)) where this is mentioned - it's the 6th post down, from TessDB, though it doesn't go into detail about brands etc, it just says 'use the rough side' - from the way TessDB puts it, though, I get the impression that brand isn't really important.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Thanks Jane -- and I also have an update -- seeing that the make-up pads are expensive and figuring that the ones that would work had to have some chemical in them, I invested in a pack of Huggies ("simply clean" and "fragrance free") --

They don't remove anything completely - but they did severely lighten a dark mass -- however, unless it was on really good paper, serious efforts a removal would damage the paper only to get the color to "severely lighter".

BUT I was amazed to see how well the Huggie sheet blended colors with just a very light swipe- no wetting of the paper-- tests were done with Derwent Artist WC Pencils (my Favorite) and Inktense pencils. Also, if you wrap the huggie thingy around a dull point or a pencil head, you can get a nice effect just swiping across a single layer of lay-down. Also, don't have to wait for anything to dry.

BUT the huggie does diddly-squat with Prismacolors and Lyra Polycolors (and I assume other non-WC pencils).