Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2019: optional plein air theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, interiors, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. This month I’m suggesting an optional “plein air” (outdoor) theme. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” sub-forum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting one or more paintings this month!

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Grotius

The weather is cooling off, so I hope to be getting outside more this month. I hope some of you can do the same!

@ntl: I enjoyed your painting of the toy car. If you’d like, you could repost it here, as not everyone saw it before the month expired, and the old thread will soon be archived. Your car deserves an audience!

- Geoff.

moscatel

Painted in the garden while spending time with my cat outside. I saw this decoration apple bush near my place and cut a branch for model purpose. Apples are very small in real. Painting size:16″x22″, oil on Belgian linen.

This painting is a wip. I should continue it at least to cover the old drawing (tint) of the bottle that is still visible.
                I was originally after unfinished look.

Grotius

That’s coming along very nicely, Moscatel! A nice large size for you, too. I’m going to work a little larger myself this month.

If you do work on it more, I hope you post the updated version. I’m enjoying this one a lot.

- Geoff.

ntl

Toy car: 5×7 oil on Fredrix canvas pad. Dug through another box and found old toys. This racer was one. (originally posted in August 2019)

ntl

oil on 6.5 x 7″ paperboard Sunday’s plein air. Knife mostly, some brush work. Clouds again. Really active sky today. Not necessarily to continue the water theme, we are in our rainy season, so it may still rain tonight. I cut off the bottom inch or so, so you don’t get to see all the weeds! The brown on the V Right is the paperboard.

ntl

Moscatel, Great start, it will be a beauty when finished!

ntl

I finished painting the cloudy sky about 3 PM. About 8:30 PM we had thunder, lightening, and rain!

moscatel

ntl, is the rain & thunder caused by the approaching hurricane?
                                        You found perfect and interesting model to paint. Well done with the racing car. Also wonderful clouds on your Sunday’s plein air. Thank you for your comments on mine. I think I leave the painting the way it looks except fixing some areas. I need to move forward.

ntl

Moscatel, probably not. We are in one of our rainy seasons, this is expected–hoped for–weather.
                                            I think your painting is beautiful as is, and I’m sure whatever adjustments you make will make it more so.

ntl

This is two in a row!
                                                4 x 5″, oil on watercolor paper. Sorry it’s so blurry…

moscatel

I think your painting is beautiful as is, and I’m sure whatever adjustments you make will make it more so.

:) I hope so .. :crossfingers:
                                                    Rain feels so good. We have had very dry summer. I didn’t even cut lawn in the garden this summer, imagine that! Normal summers I cut every other week.

Your latest painting is good practice :crossfingers: but, yes, photo very blur. Glad to see your painting a lot. I’m trying but am twice a week in an atelier doing charcoal cast. Have ups and downs with that!:evil:

Grotius

ntl, your productivity is an inspiration for us all! Good work. :)

I’ve started a painting of our shiny dining room table, which until recently we had kept covered up with boring tablecloths. Hope to work on it later in the week. Alas, real life keeping me away from the easel more than usual.

- Geoff.

ntl

6×9 oil on canvas paper plein air. The green on the lower trees was made with
                                                            cad yellow med + thalo blue (+ white) and cad yellow light + thalo blue (+white).
                                                            Will put finishing touches on this later. We may get rain again tonight.

ntl

:) I hope so .. :crossfingers:
                                                                Rain feels so good. We have had very dry summer. I didn’t even cut lawn in the garden this summer, imagine that! Normal summers I cut every other week.

Your latest painting is good practice :crossfingers: but, yes, photo very blur. Glad to see your painting a lot. I’m trying but am twice a week in an atelier doing charcoal cast. Have ups and downs with that!:evil:

I’m in the desert, so no lawn. I have to keep weeds gone or under control.

Trying to paint more, but I have to get faster or stop at 60 minutes–I can’t spend hours every day on these studies. At the same time, I want to do more interesting skies…:confused:

I envy you your atelier! How long have you been a student there? Best wishes with your studies.
                                                                A few days ago I got out my graphite drawing stuff and started on the “eye” plate. I got the horizontal and vertical lines drawn, one eye started. I have a copy of all the plates, but in a notebook size. Then life happened, so it sits there patiently waiting…while I paint instead, even though I know the drawing will help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.