Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting AP II Companion

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shannon Expat

I see that the Alla Prima II Companion is now available on Richard Schmid’s website.

Has anyone gotten a copy yet and care to share a review?

Shannon Expat

Nobody?

Ah well, I am going to take the plunge and just order one then. I have also been eyeing the landscape book too.

Anonymous

Nobody?

Ah well, I am going to take the plunge and just order one then. I have also been eyeing the landscape book too.

Shannon, is this the book, in this thread that you are asking about?

Shannon Expat

No, it is a studio companion to that book. The cover says that it covers materials, tools and techniques. Here is the link.

https://www.richardschmid.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SKUAPC#

Shannon Expat

I received this book this week, and have to say from my brief flip through, it appears to be a very good addition to the Alla Prima II book. While certainly not encyclopedic, it covers in good detail the nuts and bolts of how Richard Schmid sets up his studio, the tools he uses, how he prepares canvases etc. There is a section on brushes and brushwork that I am looking forward to reading through. The section on photographing paintings also looks really good.

All considered, I am pleased to have added this to my library of art instruction books.

cb3

Does it give plans on how to build the portable painting studio painting table he uses?

Shannon Expat

There is a section on the box, with photographs and things to consider, sizing of the box in the pictures, but there are no woodworking drawings to follow to build your own. From the sounds of things, this is not something he provides his students, just the guidance for what to consider.

Shannon Expat

I should mention that the author of this book is Katie Swatland, she writes it as a student of Richard Schmid, some things are directly Richards, such as his preferred pallet, and some things are based on her learnings from him, under his guidance. The painting box is an example of that…it shows pictures of her painting box, which she designed with help from Richard. So I guess this book is a student’s eye view, what you would learn if you too were a student of R.S.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • The topic ‘AP II Companion’ is closed to new replies.