Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art April Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Monthly Challenge and Chat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    talisman

[FONT=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,&quot][FONT=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,&quot]April 2018

[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]GUIDELINES:
        On the first of each month a subject, concept or idea will be posted in a thread entitled Fantasy Science Fiction Monthly Challenge and Chat.

All entries must be new original artworks for this challenge in any style or genre of Fantasy or Science Fiction done in any medium, 2D or 3D.
        Join in the discussion about the project – it’s friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images! Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere such as the Reference Image Library or best of all your own wonderful imagination!
        A ‘reveal’ date for all is 21th of the month – that gives us a little over 3 weeks to make the work, plus few extra days for latecomers, feel free to post till the end of the month, then a new Challenge will be posted.

Please post the finished artwork on this thread at that time.

[/FONT][/COLOR] The Challenge this month is “Historical Monsters”

This Challenge idea was suggested by Virginia (vmrs).

So create a fantastic creature of myth, legend or lore!

[/SIZE]

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
        C and C always welcome.
        My DeviantArt Gallery

Oo! thank you, I love history.

I was just at the Lincoln Museum in Springfield on Friday. They had a lot of very realistic looking mannequins, was creeping my husband out.

I was the Hoover Library, a couple weeks ago (my husband is on a sightseeing thing).

This is going to be interesting!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

SusietheModel

A clarification, please. History is my hobby, and when I think of historical monsters, I think of Caligula, Nero, Attila, Hitler, etc. Would a human monster be acceptable, or just fabulous monsters? Bill wants me to do the Lernean hydra, which would be easy, but I want to be sure.

[FONT=hinted-Graphik, Helvetica, Arial]" A woman's reach should exceed her grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
            WoodyWelch

Now THIS is a challenge I can sink my teeth into. :clap:

Attalus

A clarification, please. History is my hobby, and when I think of historical monsters, I think of Caligula, Nero, Attila, Hitler, etc. Would a human monster be acceptable, or just fabulous monsters? Bill wants me to do the Lernean hydra, which would be easy, but I want to be sure.

Well, if YOU don’t want the Lernean Hydra, there may be those who do :angel:

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

talisman

Susie, funny Bill made this very same comment in the challenge idea thread at the end of last year.
                        So for clarification, Creatures, of myth, legend and lore….
                        not real human monsters.

C and C always welcome.
                        My DeviantArt Gallery

SusietheModel

Well, he sure didn’t know the answer when I asked him. :( He’s had a drink or two since then, as he likes to say. Okay, I will take the hydra.

[FONT=hinted-Graphik, Helvetica, Arial]" A woman's reach should exceed her grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
                            WoodyWelch

So for clarification, Creatures, of myth, legend and lore….
                                not real human monsters.

Oh, OK. I was going to do DRACULA, standing over Lucy as she lies in bed. I figured that he was the most famous “monster” in history….Bram Stoker based him on Vlad Dracul, The Impaler.

But since he looks human (and my second choice was Elizabeth Bathory….same problem….) I’ll go for the beastial monsters of ancient lore as prompted.

Oh I GOT IT!!!! :clap: A few years ago I was doing some artwork on ancient Japanese monster myths and I did a few like THE WET WOMAN below….but there is one heinous frightful Asian folklore creature of horror that I haven’t done and that will be my contribution for this month.

Hm, I’ll have to think about this one for a while. Not really into scary things these days. Maybe Cerberus at nap time?

I just googled mythological monsters for some inspiration. Woody, I hope you’re not painting a shrime. :lol:

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                Every painting is a new adventure.

talisman

Many Creatures are half human and half …something else.
                                    Those all work.
                                    Also any old school movie monsters work too!
                                    Woody Universal made a ton of great old monster movies and Dracula will be fine.
                                    Michelle cute monsters are fine also, whatever works for you.
                                    Bill and Susie I will be doing “Historical Figures” with a twist as a later Challenge that’s why the clarification on this.

C and C always welcome.
                                    My DeviantArt Gallery

talisman

Woody great “Wet Woman”!
                                        She has your trade mark beautiful, creepy and fantastic combination!

C and C always welcome.
                                        My DeviantArt Gallery

WoodyWelch

Woody great “Wet Woman”!
                                            She has your trade mark beautiful, creepy and fantastic combination!

THANKS…I GET A KICK OUT OF PUTTING MY OWN AESTHETICS ONTO CLASSIC MYTHS :)

WoodyWelch

just googled mythological monsters for some inspiration. Woody, I hope you’re not painting a shrime.

I don’t know what a shrime is, Michelle, but I have settled on the Japanese mythological creature known as THE SPIDER WHORE…..but my take on it. :)

Attalus

[I]just googled mythological monsters for some inspiration. Woody, I hope you’re not painting a shrime.[/I]

I don’t know what a shrime is, Michelle, but I have settled on the Japanese mythological creature known as THE SPIDER WHORE…..but my take on it. :)

How about a Sirène? I just killed a bunch of them in Baldur’s Gate, and they are tough! (They cast Dire Charm and then shoot you with poison arrows) :clear:

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

SusietheModel

Those are Lightning Arrows, silly.

Okay, got started this afternoon. I doodled a sketch on copy paper at work, and have transferred it to poster board. It’s gonna be awesome. :smug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 221 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.