Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ttest47

I have been using cobalt drier with my painting medium, and even if I use just a few drops with 2 ounces of medium, it tacks up almost immediately and just turns the paint into a very difficult consistency to work with. Since my base medium has damar varnish in it (1 part damar, 1 part stand oil, 1 part turps) I can not use alkyds since they don’t mix. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quick drying medium not using alkyds or a better way to use cobalt drier? thanks!

ronsu18

hi,
            this subforum is for discussing copying the master painters’ paintings.
            if you ask again in oil painting > technical forum, you’ll have a lively repartee going in no time. here:
            https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=491

C&C welcome

Humbaba

If you want a quick drying medium, why are you using stand oil in your recipe?

1 part Dammar
                1 part Linseed oil
                2 parts turpentine

Another possible combination is :

1 part Retouch varnish
                1 part linseed oil

1 part dammar
                2 parts turpentine

Gigalot

One part of sun bleached oil + one part of Artists’ White spirit.
                    (a horizontally oriented PET bottle with 1/4 linseed oil into it, exposed 2 moths on sun light illuminated place. Bottle’s neck was sealed with cotton ball to prevent dust penetration)
                    Dries overnight if used as a grinding oil.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.