Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Wet Panel Transporter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My 11 x 14 panel carrier.

This will carry 2 panels but you could carry on and put a cardboard plate in the second side if you wanted to lessen your load by the weight of one panel. I prefer to carry two because you don’t know when the moment will strike you.

Bought two $5.00 cheap wood frames at Wal-Mart

I turned them face to face and glued them together. The reason for this is simple. You drop your wet painting in and it is facing in. Neither of the paintings will kiss because you have at least a ½ inch spacing in the middle. The best part is, your painting is facing in and you can rub up against tall grass and shrubs and you will get no scratching in the paint .. it is protected; it is dang near a sealed unit. I have two little bendable pieces of metal that fold so I bend them down to hold the panel in the frame or just bend them up to remove it. I’m sure you have seen them .. little black folders that come on the back of frames that allow you to remove your painting and insert another.

I let the glue dry up for a day and then I furhter reinforced it by putting screws in the middle of 4 sides and one in each corner (1/2 inch from corner).

I had an old file holder that was ready for the G file so I removed the handle from it and then attached the handle to the holder. It’s too cool and it works for me so maybe it will work for you. It’s a lot cheaper than building a box or buying a box and today’s inflated prices. You can put the case in your knapsack or just carry it by the handle .. whatever is easier for you.

Later all .. the idea is my gift to anyone who wants to use it to build themselves a nice little carry case.

PS .. after I was finished I realized that I could have gotten away without using clamps. I could have drilled the holes, applied the glue, screwed them togeather and let the screws act as clamps.

Hi Wayne, Yes great idea, I see how it would work good that way. You could probably hold the panels in another way too, all kind of ways to do it. I have to think about it. I was thinking about making a panel holder myself. This is great as it’s very light weight too.

Tony

llis

Way cool… and a lot nicer than the pizza boxes I’ve been using. Stacking my pizza boxes in the car works okay…but sure doesn’t help getting them to the car when they have wet paintings inside… even if I use push pins to keep them from shifting from side to side, I still have to keep them flat, face-up, but with your carrier, transportation & storage is easy.

.:.
            Phyllis Franklin [/url]
            JamieWG

Wayne, I love this idea! Very ingenious. Would you consider publishing it as a WC Article so that it will always be available in the article archives?

I’ll have to go make one in every size. ;) I can never choose a size in advance! A 5X7 or 8X10 version would even fit in a small bag with my pochade box. Too cool!

16X20 panels have given me a really hard time in transporting back to my car when wet. At least stretched canvas you can hold by the stretchers. I bought a bunch of 16X20 frames for $7 each last year, and a 16X20 carrier like the one you show will be an ideal addition to my gear for larger paintings.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                [/url]
                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

JamieWG

Additional thought: Wayne, I think your carrier will even work with stretched canvases! I have barclips that snap across the stretchers and hold them into frames. They are available at ASW/Jerrys, etc. I don’t see why these wouldn’t work to use your carrier with two stretched canvases face to face!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                    [/url]
                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Where is the rest of it ?!?! :p ;)

Great idea :)

Marc Hanson

Wayne,

This is one of those…”why didn’t I think of that???”, ideas. When I think of all of the routing, sanding, clamping and glueing I’ve done making heavy overbuilt panel carriers over the years…. and then you come up with something that is so simple. Thanks for letting us have a look. :cool:

Ruth Cox

Hi Wayne,
                            Does this mean that you are going to do some plein air painting??!!! I hope so, can’t wait to see your style applied to painting on location.

Ruth

Comments, critiques, and questions welcome, and thanks for looking!

Larry Seiler

okay….so, professionals have just cause to rush to Walmart now!!! haha…

yep…I agree Marc, why didn’t I think of this. Ingenius Wayne!!! :clap:

Larry

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                                Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

llis

Wayne:

You know… this would work for pastels too, which is always a worry when having to transport very far. :) I take a stack of foamcore boards with my pastel paper already attached and use glassine to cover finished work until I can get it to the framer. With this transporter, I could just keep them safe in the transporter right to the framer if I wanted without using glassine. :)

Phyllis Franklin [/url]
                                    Sezzan

Thanks for the” gift”, Wayne.. I know that this will make my “plein air” life easier.

Take care,

Frank A.

Painting For Life / www.fedwards.blogspot.com

The Book-Landscapes From Life / [/COLOR]http:/fedwards.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

You people are very welcome .. it’s the least I can do. I must say that the only reason I am trying this again .. tried before and failed miserably .. is because of you people on this forum. If you all didin’t keep dropping such nice little gems in this forum I would not be so inclinded to walk my butt off looking for trouble. :D Thank you, because it’s very nice outside and once I get off the ground I am going to really enjoy this new adventure.

Thanks Wayne! I’m new to this and was just thinking of ways to handle those wet canvases.

Info on other carriers would also be appreciated too – for bigger stretched canvases too (I suppose bigger frames would work). I’ve been priming a bunch today, all different sizes, 16 x 20 are my babies. :D I don’t think I’d ever carry more than one at a time, but who knows?

Lorijo

cool idea Wayne! I like it. Lorijo

lorelou

Wayne….darn, why didn’t I think of that! I am so jealous! Hee…Hee… :D I’m gonna get ya and pull your toes! :evil:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.