WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States
What is abstraction?

Hi, all.

I'm brand new to art (well, new to making my own) and while looking at online images to get inspired, I found one I particularly like, namely Friedrich's 'The Monk by the Sea.' In reading about it, some consider this to be the first truly abstract painting. It was not well-received in its day because it was a radical departure from the Romantic style but in later decades it became very influential. Yet in looking at Friedrich's other works, it fits within his oeuvre.

Why is 'Monk by the Sea' considered abstract? Do you agree?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...rt_Project.jpg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:51 PM

Re: What is abstraction?

I would call it expressionist, minimalist and impressionist before I called it abstract at least compared to the far out abstract stuff today. Abstract does not attempt to convincingly reproduce any image or sight that exists and is often completely devoid of any representational form ie it's not supposed to be anything.

Friedrich's piece while minimal and bucking most trends of romanticism that tried to create the illusion of perspective it is still clearly something. A man, a beach, sky and water are all recognizable. IDK about fitting with his oeuvre. Many of his other paintings look to be solidly stylistically appropriate for the time. They may share some similarities in the skies but are generally busier with more going on and attempts at illusion of depth such as the lighter mountains in the distance in Chalk Cliffs of Rugen or focal points in 'Cemetary Entrance' where the large columns in the foreground help create depth with the obelisk and grave stones in the background.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

The word comes from something close to a concept or a noun that does not mean something concrete in the material world. For example, in math you have the abstraction of coordinate systems, or vectors. They are ideas that do not represent something concrete from our world, but their concepts themselves exist in our world (the math works in the real world).

Abstract in art derives a bit from that, you try to express something without relying in focusing on a subject with concrete status in the world.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

You might enjoy visiting the Abstract and Contemporary Forum for discussion.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2017, 05:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

abstraction is something, in the abstract… existing in thought or as an idea

Last edited by JohnEmmett : 06-14-2017 at 06:02 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2017, 05:55 PM

Hails from United States

Helen of Troy by John Emmett
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:31 AM
On my den 🐺

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PthaloGiblets
Hi, all.

I'm brand new to art (well, new to making my own) and while looking at online images to get inspired, I found one I particularly like, namely Friedrich's 'The Monk by the Sea.' In reading about it, some consider this to be the first truly abstract painting. It was not well-received in its day because it was a radical departure from the Romantic style but in later decades it became very influential. Yet in looking at Friedrich's other works, it fits within his oeuvre.

Why is 'Monk by the Sea' considered abstract? Do you agree?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...rt_Project.jpg

Abstraction was born from the break up of matter with the space. The reason that she declared a divorce to the space is to compose on her own will. There are feelings she want express on her own way and pace without regulations.

She does not want to follow any traditional rule. She wants to run free. Because of he truly love her, he proposes to remarry him, and promises her on being more flexible with her.

"My love, I let you grow on your own way under my love that will nurture you to unexpected horizons on all the forms or colors."

His word became gold. She started to grow along him without limitations. His generous heart made her to pour more from herself on her own pace and comfort. She was happy because she was able to put her own personality.

And they lived happily ever.

Sorry if my answer became more a prose. Hopefully, you may identify the keywords that I associate with abstraction.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Michael Markowski's Monk by the Sea evokes a similar feeling through the abstraction of sound.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

A true abstract work is one where nothing from our objective world (a world of objects, people, things, plants, animals, etc.) can be found. There are works that have an abstracted quality to them and yet have real-world features in them, but pure abstract should not have anything recognizable.

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:09 PM

I can see how this technique would be considered a true departure into the abstract for its time. I would not consider it the first "true" abstract. I appreciate the context though.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 04:32 PM

No absolutely not abstract - a departure from the norm of the time but not abstract.

laf-art.com | Prints | FB