WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Frustrated

I recently opened a web page on DailyPaintworks and got great response..or so I thought. I had two different people contact me about purchasing paintings. I was thrilled! I have a PAYPAL button on my listings and do give the purchasers the option of using either credit card or they can mail me a check and when it clears, I will send out the paintings.

Both are local and asked if they could come by and pick up the work, rather than me sending it. I agreed, but stated that I would not take a check for the work on the day of pickup, that if they wanted to pay on pickup it would have to be credit card or cash.

One is okay with that. The other made arrangements to come to my home this past weekend to pick up two paintings she wanted. She never showed, or texted until almost 8 hours pas the pick up time.

She texted me saying that she still wants the pieces, but that she would have to give me a check when she comes to pick them up. I will not agree to that. I have had several bad experiences with this. I repeated my sales terms and she said she would have to think about it. How long before I can release these works and put them back up for sale? I love that people want my work in their homes, but I get frustrated with this whole sales thing. Maybe when I retire I will look into gallery representation so I don't have to deal with this.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Frustrated

read my post below.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM

Last edited by theBongolian : 09-30-2019 at 03:50 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativevintage
I recently opened a web page on DailyPaintworks and got great response..or so I thought. I had two different people contact me about purchasing paintings. I was thrilled! I have a PAYPAL button on my listings and do give the purchasers the option of using either credit card or they can mail me a check and when it clears, I will send out the paintings.

Both are local and asked if they could come by and pick up the work, rather than me sending it. I agreed, but stated that I would not take a check for the work on the day of pickup, that if they wanted to pay on pickup it would have to be credit card or cash.

One is okay with that. The other made arrangements to come to my home this past weekend to pick up two paintings she wanted. She never showed, or texted until almost 8 hours pas the pick up time.

She texted me saying that she still wants the pieces, but that she would have to give me a check when she comes to pick them up. I will not agree to that. I have had several bad experiences with this. I repeated my sales terms and she said she would have to think about it. How long before I can release these works and put them back up for sale? I love that people want my work in their homes, but I get frustrated with this whole sales thing. Maybe when I retire I will look into gallery representation so I don't have to deal with this.

To be overly nice send her an email. That states something like:

MRS....
Thank you for the interet in my work. I will reserve the painting "title" for you to purchase by cash or credit card until Oct.....

yours,

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

If she has an account at a local bank she can cash one of her checks there to get cash to pay you for the painting.

I agree with Bongo stick to your terms, which do not seem difficult. I would tell her that you will be resisting them, maybe give her a week if you feel generous.

If she cannot get you cash I would take that as a big red flag not to take a check from her.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

There is no good reason to not pay with cash when you're meeting up or with a credit card. I don't even OWN checks anymore. I can't remember the last time I used one. If you can transact credit cards, you can transact transact bank cards, so a paper check is not necessary.

There is also no good reason to let strangers come to your house to pick up. Meet up in a public place. I have done this many, many times, it's normal. You can tell them the truth, that your homeowners insurance is personal, not business and you can't transact there.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2019, 04:36 PM

I kind of know this woman, she is a friend of a friend. We made arrangements for her to come to my studio to pick up the two works she wanted and she did finally agree to pay cash, but she never showed up.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Send the potential buyer an email stating how long you will hold the painting for them and let them know it will be available again to the general public after that time frame. Definitely get cash or credit card. They don't seem too reliable.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2019, 08:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

She can use an e-check on PayPal.
http://www.blondheimartandstories.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2019, 03:51 PM

She did contact me and say she was in no hurry for these and could I put them aside for a month or two. (she said no to a deposit) I think I will just keep them for another week then tell her that if she truly wants them, she can use the paypal button and I will ship. At this point I don't want her coming to the studio to haggle. I have a feeling that is what will happen. She will want a lower price because she is buying both...I work full time, but as I get closer to retirement in a couple of years I will seriously look into gallery representation so that I don't have to deal with this sort of thing.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2019, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I would just tell her you'd love to be able to hold them for her but you can't. And I'd offer her a small discount if they are still available when she's ready and she buys both. That might get her off her butt.

But I definitely wouldn't hold for another minute.

I also would caution that every way of selling has its downsides, weird customers, challenges. Including galleries.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Agree with Robin. Don't hold them any longer. She's had plenty of chances. If she has checks, she also probably has access to an ATM. She's being a flake and that's not your fault.

Just chalk it up to a wacky no-sale and move on. We've all had plenty of them, (and as a warning) EVEN THROUGH GALLERIES! :-)

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2019, 12:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Off topic here...Keith, really like your Fishing Camp painting.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
Off topic here...Keith, really like your Fishing Camp painting.

Thanks, Robin!

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Customer hasn't been honest with you, so turnabout's fair play. Tell them a prospective buyer has expressed interest in the paintings. If she wants to provide the non-refundable deposit or pay outright she can have them. If not, you'll sell to other party in two business days.

If she bails, the only thing lost is the aggravation. You'll still have the paintings to sell to someone who isn't playing games.