Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Other Quinacridone Gold v Daniel Smith’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Monica1

How do other brands of quin gold compare to Daniel Smith?
        What other brand closely match DS that has the same handling qualities?

I need to order some paint from Blick, I order all my stuff from them, and I was going to get Raw sienna and gold ochre from Winsor, but then I’ve been seen a lot of people who substitute these earth tones by a Quin Gold, so I’m thinking of trying…

Monica

virgil carter

I use Quin Gold from American Journey or DaVinci. AJ’s description of Quin Gold is: “Quinacridone Gold, formerly Harvest Wheat, is formulated from a combination of Quinacridone Burnt Orange (PR206) and Iron Oxide (PY42)”.

Interestingly (or not), DaVinci does not have a description of their Quin Gold on Cheap’s site.

Post what you decide to do and why!
            Sling paint!
            virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

sashntash

Although I really do prefer single pigment colors… and most of the paints that I own are single pigment…. whether they are Daniel Smith, Winsor & Newton or Maimeri…..

I do make a few exceptions… and one of them is Winsor & Newton’s Quin Gold. I love love love the color… even though it is not a single pigment. I like it a lot better than the DS single pigment Quin Gold.

Just a personal preference….

ETA: and… W & N’s Quin Gold is one of my most favorite colors of all of the ones I have on my palette. I use it all the time. I don’t think I am capable of painting a painting without Quin Gold in it :D

Susan
                in beautiful North Carolina
                Retired and loving every minute of it !!!
                Time to play......

M.L. Schaefer

I have two versions on Quin Gold: Daniel Smith’s (which I recently “discovered” through a watercolor friend) and W/N Quin Gold. I would not do without the W/N, period. I do love D/S’s for a number of things. Both are nice. I believe D/S is the only manufacturer still making Quin Gold (PO49) and very few are still using PO48 (Quin Burnt Orange..etc.). Don’t know what D/S will do with their wide range of Quin’s based on PO49 (or PO48, for that matter) if they can’t get a supply of the pigment.

Kiwi

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                    Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Mayberry

I only have DS quin gold, and I love it. But I feel it is a very different pigment from raw sienna, and I use them for different purposes.

Quin gold (DS) has a clean, crisp, bright golden look that glazes so well on plants. My raw sienna (from Gamblin dry pigment) has a definite brown-red cast and looks earthier, creamier, more subdued. I’m guessing that if another brand’s quin gold has several pigments, or an earth pigment mixed in, then maybe it is more of a subdued color too.

JPQ

I have two versions on Quin Gold: Daniel Smith’s (which I recently “discovered” through a watercolor friend) and W/N Quin Gold. I would not do without the W/N, period. I do love D/S’s for a number of things. Both are nice. I believe D/S is the only manufacturer still making Quin Gold (PO49) and very few are still using PO48 (Quin Burnt Orange..etc.). Don’t know what D/S will do with their wide range of Quin’s based on PO49 (or PO48, for that matter) if they can’t get a supply of the pigment.

Kiwi

I think*po49 is discontinued which is reason why w&n used mix. and i understanded Daniel Smith buyed all what is available sometime ago… and discontinued in pigment manufacturing level.

Shirl Parker

Last I heard, DS bought the last supply of the Quin Gold pigment. Who knows how long it will last.

Shirl
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/shirlrparker/myart
                                “Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.” - The Puppy Zone

I have a tube of WN Quin Gold, PB 49, and another of
                                DS Quin Gold Deep, PO 49. It looks very close to the WN version. Both are transparent, single pigment colors.

I think JPQ and Shirl are right about DS buying up the last of the QG pigment, so their version should be close to the WN one.

Sylvia

sashntash

Sylvia – You must have an old tube of W&N Quin Gold if it is made with PO 49.

Winsor & Newton’s current Quin Gold should really be labeled Quin Gold Hue because it is a mix of:

PR206 – Quin Maroon
                                    PV10 – Quin Violet
                                    PY150 – Nickel Azo Yellow (a.k.a. W&N’s Transparent Yellow)

Despite it being a hue, it is a color that I MUST have … :-)

The current Quin Gold is transparent and lovely…

Susan
                                    Time to play......

janinco

I have Nickel Quinacridone Gold from M Graham that’s a nice transparent gold color. The pigments are PO48 and PY150. Dick Blick carries it.
                                        http://www.dickblick.com/items/01705-9090/#description

Jan

JPQ

Sylvia – You must have an old tube of W&N Quin Gold if it is made with PO 49.

Winsor & Newton’s current Quin Gold should really be labeled Quin Gold Hue because it is a mix of:

PR206 – Quin Maroon
                                            PV10 – Quin Violet
                                            PY150 – Nickel Azo Yellow (a.k.a. W&N’s Transparent Yellow)

Despite it being a hue, it is a color that I MUST have … :-)

The current Quin Gold is transparent and lovely…

true this hue thing,. when i go shop next time i must looke there is old one quin gold. and quin violet shouble i think pv19 and based w&n page is pv19.
                                            ps. and quinacridones what i know are transparent when other option is opague but they are no most transparent maybe.

sashntash

Sorry… there was a typo in my previous post……

“Winsor & Newton’s current Quin Gold should really be labeled Quin Gold Hue because it is a mix of:

PR206 – Quin Maroon
                                                PV10 – Quin Violet
                                                PY150 – Nickel Azo Yellow (a.k.a. W&N’s Transparent Yellow) ”

That should have been PV19 – Quin Violet as the 2nd color in the mix.

All three component colors are transparent…. hence the W&N Quin Gold is a lovely transparent color….

Susan
                                                Time to play......

PaintDoodles

Sorry… there was a typo in my previous post……

“Winsor & Newton’s current Quin Gold should really be labeled Quin Gold Hue because it is a mix of:

PR206 – Quin Maroon
                                                    PV10 – Quin Violet
                                                    PY150 – Nickel Azo Yellow (a.k.a. W&N’s Transparent Yellow) ”

That should have been PV19 – Quin Violet as the 2nd color in the mix.

All three component colors are transparent…. hence the W&N Quin Gold is a lovely transparent color….

So does this mean that a combination of pigments that are transparent = transparent when mixed together and not mud?

Susan,
                                                    I do have an old tube of WN Quin Gold that is PO 49 as well as a tube of DS Quin Gold Deep that is PO 49. I just checked the labels on both tubes.

I did buy them a year or so ago when I first heard that the PO 49 pigment was being phased out and would no longer be available one day soon in our watercolor paints. ;)

Sounds as if both DS and WN have changed their formulations of Quin Gold since I bought my tubes.

Sylvia

Sylvia, Daniel Smith is still using PO49 for their Quin Gold… it’s beautifully transparent with a very wide value range…

The Quinacridone Gold deep is a mixture of PO48 and PY150… I haven’t tried this hue… when D. Smith introduced it in one of their triads, it was a single pigment colour which (for some reason) they discontinued in favour of this mixture.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.