Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Partner: Blick Art Materials Acrylic alternatives applicators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ribeyedsmile

What do you guys think of this.

I have been buying silicone baking spatulas and basting brushes. Acrylic paint that dries on them just peels off. I stretch the brushes like a rubber band and the acrylic just comes off. They are far cheaper than catylist. They are sold in acmoore. They are sold in grocery stores. I even cut them up for cheap custom shapes.

Much cheaper than the catalyst stuff and other “solid brushes.

[FONT=Arial]Michael Sherman

oramasha

Funny that you mention this, because this has been on my mind, too.

I basically need something to substitute as a markmaking tool in place of a marker. I’m going to look in Bed, Bath, Beyond and see what I can find.

I do have 2 catalyst wedges, a contour, and a larger tool. . . the large handled tool that I bought, the teeth are too close together and paint clogs it and it is a pain to clean and deal with.

The other wedge tools are much easier, and the paint wipes clean easily as you mentioned. Thanks for the affirmation to shop the kitchen section!

I’m going to try it, too! (for more textural effects)

oramasha

What do you guys think of this.

I have been buying silicone baking spatulas and basting brushes. Acrylic paint that dries on them just peels off. I stretch the brushes like a rubber band and the acrylic just comes off. They are far cheaper than catylist. They are sold in acmoore. They are sold in grocery stores. I even cut them up for cheap custom shapes.

Much cheaper than the catalyst stuff and other “solid brushes.

Also, I’d love to see a photo of your cut-up shapes if you’d like to share them!

Great idea, Michael!

While there may be certain advantages to the silicone blade tools sold for Artist’s use, if you find those features are something you can do without, the kitchen tools might be a great value for you.

Thanks for sharing!

- your friends at Blick Art Materials

ribeyedsmile

[FONT=Arial]Michael Sherman

My favorite acrylic tool

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.