Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk New WN colors!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FriendCarol

Went to a Cheap Joe’s “Customer Appreciation Day” yesterday, which was great. Met up with a guy (from Cincinnati, Ohio, I think!) who does demos and stuff for W/Newton. They now offer a quinacridone violet much more vibrant than dioxazine (Winsor violet), and they have a whole range of replacements for cadmium colors–same handling characteristics (such as opacity), and not distinguishable in color from the cadmium versions. :clap:

The violet is not yet widely in stock… hope to pick it up in their main store when I visit Boone, North Carolina later this fall.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
        Robert Genn[/I]

calvin_0

these color came out a few months ago… not really new in general… it appears that alot of people dont like the new cadmium hue because they are hiding the pigment information..

the other like quin violet, transparent orange and smalt are a returning color.. they are used to be limited edition paint.

so far these is the only video review that I can find on these paint… even after so long…

Swatching 12 New Winsor & Newton Colors! (Part 1 of 2)

Swatching 12 New Winsor & Newton Colors! (Part 2 of 2)

FriendCarol

these color came out a few months ago… not really new in general… it appears that alot of people dont like the new cadmium hue because they are hiding the pigment information..

The fellow I spoke to said they were trying to keep a trade secret related to something (the medium or an additive?) re the cadmium replacements. Perhaps that was translated into hiding “pigment” information?

The colors are not available widely yet, perhaps they have been in English or continental stores for a few months? In the U.S., it is still hard to get them.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
                Robert Genn[/I]

Violet Lake

I haven’t tried the violet yet (I have the same pigment from Daniel Smith and don’t reach for it much, for me a dioxazine violet is much more useful), but I’m smitten with their new orange. Totally transparent and the perfect mid-orange hue, not too red or too yellow. Just perfect. :heart: So far the only other new color I’ve bought is smalt, just out of curiosity, but I haven’t quite figured out what to use it for and it’s a bit neglected in my palette.

The fellow I spoke to said they were trying to keep a trade secret related to something (the medium or an additive?) re the cadmium replacements. Perhaps that was translated into hiding “pigment” information?

People want to know what combination of pigments they used to make the hues and W&N has refused to tell. Normally I’d be right there with them, but I personally don’t see why it matters here. The point of knowing pigment information is to understand the behavior of the pigments in your paint, but in this case, that’s already spelled out in the concept as they’ve been designed to mimic the behavior of cadmiums. I think if someone is still doubtful of a brand’s claims re: things like lightfastness, etc., all a person can do is test the product themselves or choose not to buy it.

calvin_0

People want to know what combination of pigments they used to make the hues and W&N has refused to tell. Normally I’d be right there with them, but I personally don’t see why it matters here. The point of knowing pigment information is to understand the behavior of the pigments in your paint, but in this case, that’s already spelled out in the concept as they’ve been designed to mimic the behavior of cadmiums. I think if someone is still doubtful of a brand’s claims re: things like lightfastness, etc., all a person can do is test the product themselves or choose not to buy it.

I think some people just prefer to know what they are actually using… by hiding the pigment information, you dont even know if it’s a single pigment or multi pigment paint, so the behaviors of these paint is widely unknown other then what winsor and newton told you…

plus these paint doesnt seem to have a target market in watercolor… those who want to use cadmium paint, dont see the point of getting a cadmium hue and those who dont use cadmium paint, doesnt see the point of using a cadmium hue..

Violet Lake

I think some people just prefer to know what they are actually using… by hiding the pigment information, you dont even know if it’s a single pigment or multi pigment paint, so the behaviors of these paint is widely unknown other then what winsor and newton told you…

plus these paint doesnt seem to have a target market in watercolor… those who want to use cadmium paint, dont see the point of getting a cadmium hue and those who dont use cadmium paint, doesnt see the point of using a cadmium hue..

I’d be surprised if they weren’t made from multiple pigments, but I just don’t see what difference it makes where the cadmium-free colors are concerned. Multiple pigments can be muddy or create mud when mixed because of the combination of pigments used, like the outrage over Mission Gold’s original burnt sienna that made murky green instead of neutral gray when mixed with ultramarine blue, so knowing your “burnt sienna” has a yellow pigment in it means you can avoid messes like that in your work. But the point of these hues is to match cadmiums as closely as possible, so they’ve ostensibly been tested to mix and perform the same and you should theoretically know what to expect from them if you’re familiar with cadmium pigments. No other brand of watercolors has approximated the unique properties of cadmium in their hues, only the color, so if W&N really has managed to accomplish that like they claim then I understand why they’d want to keep that innovation to themselves, even though the lack of pigment information will be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

As far as who they’re for, I’ve read that the primary audience for these is in the art education arena as schools are supposedly becoming more concerned about toxicity. There are definitely painters out there who want to avoid toxic pigments, even if those concerns are unfounded or overstated from some points of view, and probably also a good deal of painters who don’t know or care about pigment information and will gravitate towards a hue if the tube makes it sound safer to use.

FriendCarol

I’d be surprised if they weren’t made from multiple pigments, but I just don’t see what difference it makes where the cadmium-free colors are concerned….
                                … But the point of these hues is to match cadmiums as closely as possible, so they’ve ostensibly been tested to mix and perform the same and you should theoretically know what to expect from them if you’re familiar with cadmium pigments. No other brand of watercolors has approximated the unique properties of cadmium in their hues, only the color, so if W&N really has managed to accomplish that like they claim then I understand why they’d want to keep that innovation to themselves, even though the lack of pigment information will be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

As far as who they’re for, I’ve read that the primary audience for these is in the art education arena as schools are supposedly becoming more concerned about toxicity.

The man I saw representing the new colors had painted two watercolors, still life fruits, one with the cadmium colors and one with the replacements. He didn’t know which was which–W/N sent them to him in tubes labelled “A” “B” or “C”. The quality (opacity especially) was the same. The colors were identical except for the lemon, which was a little more “lemony” (more towards green, though not green). He said he just hadn’t matched the colors precisely (running out of time).

I don’t have an orange, just mix New Gamboge and Quinacridone Red as I need them. But it was a nice-looking orange.

I have two cadmium colors on my palettes (I’m not sure I’ve ever actually used them!), just in case I should want opacity someday. I won’t be buying their replacements, but it’s great that schoolchildren will have these safer colors. :)

Robert Genn[/I]

Pesto126

but it’s great that schoolchildren will have these safer colors. :)

Pretty sure schoolchildren are getting more exposure to “bad things” from drinking PFAS in their water, breathing carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes from running engines during school pickup/dropoff and from lead/heavy metals in the soil/sand in their playgrounds.

Cadmium in watercolors paint is very very very far down the list… unless you are eating it directly from the tube. :clear:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.