Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Exist a darkblack aluminium powder pigment?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mal3

Hi,

Exist there a dark/black aluminium powdered pigment?
        I have some Aluminium Tubes with color index PM1. Exists there changed darker one too?

Not that I’m aware of. I wouldn’t have thought it could be made very dark. Who makes it as an oil paint?

insert pithy comment here.

Richard P

PBk19 – Slate Black

Williamsburg have it:
            https://www.dickblick.com/items/01571-2633/%5B/URL%5D

PBk19 – Slate Black

Williamsburg have it:
            [URL=https://www.dickblick.com/items/01571-2633/]https://www.dickblick.com/items/01571-2633/[/URL]

It’s darker, but it’s not aluminium.

However if Slate grey does the trick then Williamsburg make more than one shade. Winsor and Newton also makes it. Another one to look into might be Williamsburg Graphite grey.

insert pithy comment here.

Richard P

Well it’s classed as ‘hydrated aluminum silicate’.. :D

WFMartin

Not that I truly care much regarding your reasons, but with all the excellent, tubed Blacks that are available, just why would you feel the need for such an item?

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Antonin

Hi,

Exist there a dark/black aluminium powdered pigment?
                        I have some Aluminium Tubes with color index PM1. Exists there changed darker one too?

Why not just add a transparent black paint to the PM1 aluminum paint that you already have to darken it?

Mal3

Hi, the problem is that aluminium have a great effect in the paint. But when I add some dark transparent pigments, then the effect lose. Great is it, when the effect is darker and not silver.

Gigalot

I often use Aluminum powder with Phthalo blue and Phthalo green oil paint. It gives fine metallic effect. I also use it with other paints as a strong opacity agent. It lose metallic properties but it makes paint much more opaque.

tidal

Am as well currently have aluminium powder and was going to mix with spinel black pigment but now read this and fear the aluminium will be lost in the mix and waste fine pigment which is opaque had in mind it would produce an intense back with the nice shimmer the aluminium produces .Am thinking maybe you could do a purely black opaque base and then use your aluminium in a transparent glaze over the top or something? but would have to use small amount as aluminium powder in a transparent carrier can still turn out somewhat opaque over another layer and cover it.Don’t think you were after that..think Antonin may be on the right track make sure you adding a transparent black not an already opaque one due to the alluminium

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.