Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Landscape Challenge for October 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Welcome to the October 2019 Landscape Challenge.

I’m posting this a bit early because I am currently travelling, and never sure when I have time to sit at a computer.

This is an activity thread for artists of all experience levels, and who work in any medium, including digital. Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, no-pressure atmosphere. No critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent is to have fun, try new things, and experiment.

Choose an image (as many as you like) and paint, draw, sculpt, sew, or whatever to produce your work of art. Feel free to crop, flip, add things, leave things out, and generally have fun using your own “artistic license”.

Then scan or photograph the result and post it in this thread. Tell us the size and medium, any support utilized, plus anything else you’d like to share.

Please find time to comment on the contributions. Comments are appreciated by the artists, and quite often useful ideas arise out of the suggestions.

We are always looking for volunteers to host our monthly challenges. You can use your own photos or choose some from our Reference Image Library. Please consider offering your services through the following link:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show….php?t=1443238

These images are all my own. My little netbook monitor shows very blue, so I hope the colors are accurate enough.
    Baden, Switzerland

barn and bales

grassy meadows

Lake Lucerne, Switzerland

backlit trees in Le Chable, Switzerland

lobster boats and sheds

a nocturne I just noticed something must have dripped onto my phone, top right, sorry about that

Victoria-By-The-Sea, Prince Edward Island It’s hard to tell, but between the yellow field and distant hill is water

That’s it; I hope you find something you like.
    I will try to get in and comment as much as possible, but will be very busy for the next 2 weeks.

Wendy C&C always welcome
    Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Thank you for hosting October, Wendy.

I will be very busy this month, so I don’t know if I can contribute.
    But I will try to check and comment and maybe there will be a little unexpected time slot.

Esther

Good ones, Wendy, I hope to be able to although the month is very busy with InkTober thrown in the mix, too.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

individuo

Hello everybody, I think this is my first time over here (I mean landscapes forum).

Wendy, thank you very much for hosting and for the great references.

Lots and lots of mistakes, some of them are happy accidents, but mostly just mistakes. Anyway I didn’t expect doing much better at this point (in fact, I expected worse, I kind of like the right half). I have learned a lot with this one, or so I hope :angel:
        Van Gogh watercolors on an A5 sheet of Canson Imagine Mix Media paper (200g/m2 or 120lb)

C&C are welcome as well as any corrections on my English.

Hello everybody, I think this is my first time over here (I mean landscapes forum).

Welcome to the forum! Do stick around!
        Watercolour is an unforgiving medium and you’ve acquitted yourself well with this. I agree that the right side is the star of the show, with value shapes, colour and simplification.

Wendy C&C always welcome
        Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Welcome here individuo,
        you did your watercolor in a fresh not overworked way.
        But with inapt paper you make it much harder for yourself than it has to bee.
        I really recommend using professional watercolor paper (e.g. Arches), not a thin mixed media paper. It really makes a difference. Good paper is more important than good paint or brush.
        Often beginners think it does not matter and they want to start with cheap paper. Then things are not going well, because of the paper and then they think it is their fault and they are not satisfied and give up.
        (Getting of the soap box)

Wendy, one hour after you took the Lake Lucerne photo it stopped raining, the clouds started to lift and someone tied his boat. :)

Watercolors on Arches paper (30×40 cm)

C&C always welcome

Esther

Bizzibee

Individou well done. I don’t do watercolours but it looks good. It has a sense of whimsy to me.

Esther there you go again, producing another lovely work. Inspired additions and I absolutely love those mountains! Excellent.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

individuo

Thank you Wendy, Esther and Bizzibee.

Esther, wonderful scene!! Thank you very much for the advise as well. I value it and wholeheartedly agree with you. In fact, I dislike this paper (for watercolors), but it is so cheap (I pay 6 euros for a A4 pad with 50 sheets). I have good papers:
                -an unopened block of Arches
                -an unused sheet of Langton 100%cotton
                -some sheets of Guarro (240gr/m2 and 60%cotton), I have tried this one, once, in a small format, and yes, it is much easier and forgiving.
                -and some other pads of cellulose paper (such as Canson XXL watercolor) that behave better than the Canson Imagine.
                I am trying to convince myself to use the Guarro, it is not very expensive, 2.5 euros for a 50x70cm sheet. And I will use it often, but I don’t see myself dropping the Canson Imagine just yet, there are psychological factors involve and I know myself, ….,well,… a little:lol:
                Well, sorry for extending so much, just let you know that I appreciate your advise and, if you don’t see me following it in the near future, it’s because of economical and psychological reasons. But I really agree with it.

C&C are welcome as well as any corrections on my English.

patrikeev

Paper – “Goznak” , 200 g/m2
                    Size – A4 (297x210mm)
                    Watercolor paint – “White Nights”

C&C welcome

Great you joined Alexandr.
                    You created nearly an abstract with bold colors and the light yellow/white patch as a good coi.

Individuo, I don’t know Langton or Guarro paper, but I really understand economical reasons.
                    The cheapest way for me are single sheets of cold pressed 185 g/m (90 lb) Arches paper, which costs between 3 and 3.50 Euro here, depending on the art supplier. I cut the sheet to quarters and stretch and mount them to a board. This is necessary as thin paper buckles during wet washes if it isn’t stretched. This way paper for one painting costs less than an Euro.
                    I still recommend not to use the mixed media paper for the real paintings, maybe for notans, that should be done as a preparation for every painting anyway.

Bizzibee and individua, thank you for your comments.

Esther

Mayfly

individuo – a well composed painting. I like all of the greens in it. Nice colors.

Esther – I want to know what you are eating or drinking that is giving you the watercolor “POW” factor. Nice feel to this. Awesome, again. I am learning more and more that good paper is a plus. Also, I have been trying out various very limited palettes as well.

Alexandr – Nice, I like the colors and depth in yours. Nice blues and dark colors

Hope to have one here soon. Cheers

Carl

Carls, thanks for your comment.
                        The question is wrong, it should be what am I reading.
                        And I am reading currently https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html
                        and especially this section https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html about all the available pigments and colors made by the main brands.
                        Really valuable stuff.
                        The difficulty about watercolors is, that you have to know much more about the supplies you use than in every other technique I have seen or tried. That means paper and colors and brush. Only when you know what will behave the way you want/need in your painting, you can choose the right stuff.
                        Another thing I do before I start a painting is to choose my main colors. Mostly two colors that mix in a beautiful way and fit to the mood I want to achieve. Here it was cerulean blue and transparent orange. And both colors are easily lift-able which is good for haze.
                        They are mixed in everywhere in this painting.
                        Adding a bit ultramarine blue and indian red for darker parts of the mountains and a little bit of serpentine green from Daniel Smith, I really fell in love with, for foliage and that’s it.

Esther

Mayfly

Esther – Good advice. Yes I go to Handprint often, a great site. Lots to read and learn. Some goes way over my head though. I will try those colors of yours. I am currently using what is titled a Traditional WC Pallette (New Gamboge (I am fascinated by this color), Cad Red Light, and Ultramarine Blue). Amazing what you can come up with using just those colors. Cheers

Carl

LENGERT

Thanks for hosting Wendy. These beautiful photos definitely caught my eye.
                                Individuo-lovely fresh look. I think you did very well with this scene.
                                Esther-WOW, what a beauty. You are obviously a well seasoned landscape painter.
                                Patikeev-beautiful colours and contrasts.

sanlynn

LENGERT

Here is my attempt at the Lobster boats and sheds. I tried to keep it simple but as usual got carried away. I used the three primary colours of gouache for the first time with this one. Please be gentle as landscape painting is not my strength but it is why I got interested in painting in the first place. Practise, practise, practise!

Gouache on watercolour paper about 7X9″.

sanlynn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.