WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: 2019 Christmas Card Trade!

Jeanne, congrats on finishing but it's a bit early to be sending them out yet!

Fire is just awful, hope your area is safe, Lawrence!

I did one more today.

How is the puppy liking the snow, Christine?
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 01:04 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Oh he likes it. Winter is his season like all Poms I know. Chihuahua, not so much!😉
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Clear Mountain, Queensland, Australia

Hails from New Zealand

Wow. I had better get going judging by some of the announcements. Cool. Settled on the media and made a few test runs all of which were terrible. Lol. Will make concerted effort in the upcoming week and have all my cards done by next weekend. Will verify then.

We aren't in immediate danger, Virginia. Sunny Coast is an area just north of us. That's where the immediate danger is. They've evacuated a few areas and are preventing locals returning as the situation remains both volatile and unpredictable. There is however only one emergency alert active at the moment last time I checked. But it constantly as the precarious situation unfolds and develops, as it does. Currently experiencing a very cool change but it is expected to heat up again come Wednesday. Friday was very hot. Was outside at around 9 am watering the newly installed flowers and my neck was burning from the direct sunlight. At least the butterflies and bees got to enjoy the sprinkling.

Some harrowing images from the devastation caused in northern and central NSW on the local tv station who have had continuous news coverage. There are fires north and south of us but where I live is not in any danger. Yet. So far, we are good. Wife's brother was a fire chief and once told us to just go should it hit us. Just collect your precious few things, our pets, and go.

Officially, over 100 homes destroyed so far. Loss of life sits at three, one of whom was a grandmother who stayed to save her animals. Several others are missing although authorities are seeking to confirm their actual status. Sorry for putting a downer at such a time like this. But talking of it helps in some way as it's constantly in the news.

And we get updated text alerts by the authorities regarding the crisis.

I do wish some of that delicious snowfall would drift over to our eastern seaboard and then west to WA which is also experiencing similiar condition.

The long-running drought has also contributed to extent and severity of these bushfires. There are just so many of them.
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

That's awful. I had a house fire years ago. It's strange how fire runs through house. The basement where it started was the worse part. ( I had an apartment down there and the tenant set his couch on fire with a cigarette). My laundry room was pretty bad, there was a big bin of basketballs, soccer balls and all sorts of sporting equipment which was all melted. But the washing machine not three feet away was fine. There was also a wall that was half gone and all charred but the bike that was leaning on the wall was perfectly fine. I guess that has to do with how hot spots and the air flow around a fire works. It was awful but interesting at the same time. My mind works in weird ways, I like to know why things do what they do even when I'm really upset.

Anyway, I'm glad you're in a safer zone! Talk away about it, it's always good to let that sort of concern out.

I love the text alerts, we get them here for the tornadoes. (I'm in the top part of the area referred to as Tornado Alley). The outdoor sirens are great but if you're indoors doing something noisy, vacuuming or listening to loud music and have your windows and air conditioning on, it can be hard to hear them. I have an indoor storm siren as well but the texts are great for those who don't or are in a car.

One time when the indoor siren went off, I was napping on the couch. It's right beside the couch and it was LOUD! I was so startled, I rolled right off onto the floor. What a way to wake up.

I'm still in a war with the woodpecker. I strung a bright metallic owl where it likes to peck on my house. It seems to be working for the moment. They said to move it around once a day so the woodpeckers don't get used to it. I also hung up some metallic looking ribbons which wave in the breeze. They dont' like that either, I guess. I don't know if this will work for very long but at least my house is starting to look pretty festive.
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Clear Mountain, Queensland, Australia

Hails from New Zealand

That sort of curiosity is not weird, Virginia. We get our forensic scientists and investigators that way. Situation here has eased with the temperature drop but it's just a respite, as stated in my previous post. Things are expected to deteriorate quickly early next week.

Projecting long-term, however, I wonder if future building regs will make it mandatory that a bushfire strategy is incorporated into such areas. A local expert in the field of bushfires was recently interviewed and he pointed out that people need to have a trigger point for departure: quite often our mindset delays escape, and that's when tragedy/disaster strikes because we don't recognise or have that trigger point that clearly states that it's time to leave." It is quite a good point. Even now I resist the thought of leaving my home when the chance is there because I believe that I might be able to do something to stem or prevent. But against a wall of fire, such a thought quickly perishes.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 03:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Stay safe Lawrence! I have been thinking of you there.
The poor wildlife.
I am always amazed seeing pictures in California, of people loading up the car in a cul de sac, with a wall of flames right behind their next door neighbours’s house. Literally higher than the houses in the back yard. Or just coming over the hill in the backyard. I always think they waited too long. I worry about them getting trapped there are on congested roads out. Apparently the wind can take the flames in different directions, so these fires can come on quickly.... That may be that waiting too long for a late trigger you have mentioned Lawrence.
7 cards done.
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 11-10-2019 at 03:12 PM.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I have six done, I did do one I meant for a Christmas card but my husband likes it so he's keeping it. I'm doing ones for family too.

It was nice out today, I cut the last of my garden herbs today, rosemary and lemon basil. I'll be drying them tomorrow so my house will smell so nice!
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

the fires are so devestating, think always of those in california and now australia, I wont complain about the early winter then.

got my cards done as well, will mail next week

I havd so much fun making these, I am also making more for an upcoming popup sale.

keep safe everyone

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .