WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Illustrations for a kids book

Hi, I have been asked to do illustrations for a kids alphabet book series. That means I have to do 26 booklets with 12 sides in each (including the cover and back). Each book is different to the other (theme, colors, and character).

I have a few questions:

1. How much should I charge for each booklet? I know it varies, but I'm just looking for a base price. I have never done this before.

2. The author wants me to design the book too. That means I have to first do the sketches and then design the book using something like Adobe InDesign, is it? Is book designing even done by the artist?

3. If I have to design the book, I thought I will charge separately for that. Is that reasonable?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Nirdesha : 10-22-2019 at 01:56 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Illustrations for a kids book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirdesha
Hi, I have been asked to do illustrations for a kids alphabet book series. That means I have to do 26 booklets with 12 sides in each (including the cover and back). Each book is different to the other (theme, colors, and character). .........
2. The author wants me to design the book too. That means I have to first do the sketches and then design the book using something like Adobe InDesign, is it?
So the "author" is coming up with the alphabet, and you have to do the rest?

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
So the "author" is coming up with the alphabet, and you have to do the rest?

She has written a story for letter A with a character starting with letter A. There is a story that character goes through. There is a similar story for letter B and so on. That is why there is a booklet for each letter in the alphabet.

I have never really done illustrations for books. I have sold paintings but this project is completely different so, I have no clue how to charge her.

Any help?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I suppose it depends on the complexity of each illustration. Take an average time for each page and use that to calculate your charge. Is the client doing the layout, text etc?

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Lord of the Arts

If you are being asked to to do the book design I would consider that a separate job to doing the illustrations and charge for it according. Do not feel at all bad if designing the book is outside of your comfort zone and you want to tell the author to hire a book designer or layout person for that part of the job.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
I suppose it depends on the complexity of each illustration. Take an average time for each page and use that to calculate your charge. Is the client doing the layout, text etc?

Doug

Nope. Looks like she wants me to do everything from illustrations to book designing. I think I will charge separately for them as it is not necessarily my job to design the book.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

That's quite a task.

Doug
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
That's quite a task.

Doug

Yea. I will ask her to get a graphics person to design the book if she can. I will be able to do that but I think it will be much faster and easier for her to hire a graphics designer for that. I should focus on what I am best at- painting.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Here's some information I dug up:

A child's illustrated book is, typically, 32 pages.

Freelance illustrators charge from hundreds of dollars up to $5K per book (including cover art), which may or may not include royalty rights. The wide range in prices probably has something to do with experience as well as success of past projects.

There are lots of websites out there that offer help and/or complete illustration and book design services.

If the author has an agent, the agent can hook them up with a designer. If the author has an offer from a publisher, the publisher usually takes care of book and cover design.

If the book will be an indie - Amazon's Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Lulu, etc. - each platform has their own requirements for book and cover design.

Some resources:
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Is she self-publishing these books?

It sounds as though she is. Then make sure you charge a fair price, and get paid! You could check the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing and Ethical Guidelines, which is a great resource.

If she intends, however, to approach a children's book publisher with everything completed — as a fait accompli — she's not likely to be successful. Editors work with their own illustrators, and like to choose the people whose style they feel would best work with the book (assuming they want to publish the book). Also — there's a lot of competition for alphabet books, and they're less likely to get published. If you and she go ahead with it, make sure she pays you!

(I'm not a children's book author/illustrator, but I took an enlightening and informative workshop on it way back from someone who is, and who was very successful — that's the source of my info.)

Hoping this is helpful,
Karen