WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Selangor

Hails from Malaysia
What is Flemish technique?

Hi guys...I need some help here...I have heard a lot and know some basic things about flemish painting technique...
But I still don't really get it...I listed some of the question regarding this and I hope you guys can provide me with some answers..

1. What is the purpose of this type of painting.
2. Is this the best way to paint still life and portrait.
3. Can anybody explain about the layers.

I have never been to any art classes and most of the information I find through internet. If you guys can provide me with good web site which have all this information it will be very helpful as well.

Thank you in advance.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: What is Flemish technique?

Sanker, here's the website you're looking for: http://www.artpapa.com/

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
There are many prior threads that touch on this here in Oil Painting that'll answer many, if not all, of the basic questions; just do a search confined to the forum (use Search This Forum at the top of the thread list) for the word Flemish and you're sure to find all of them.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Palm Springs, CA

Re: What is Flemish technique?

While some of the information at artpapa.com is useful, let's get it right ... there is historically no such thing as the 7-layer Flemish technique. Layers painting, as we usually think of it, is a derivation of Venetian technique.

For a through explanation of the difference, see this article by Virgil Elliott.

There is really no limit to the number of layers you can use. You do not need to layer all parts of a painting. There are several tutorials available right here on WC ... check out Bill Martin's Glazing "Tutty Fruity"