Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Stay Wet Palette Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bunford

I am looking for some recommendations.

I have a Frisk stay wet palette that works fine, however it is only A4 size. I say “only” because I am a messy mixer and use lots of room so want something substantial in size, probably about A3+ in size. The more affordable the better too!

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Feel free to browse my website here

justdoit

I use the acryla-miser. All of the little paint trays can be removed and it has a separate palette that goes on top for the paint you are using. You can save your mixes on the small trays. I really like it. Here is more info.
            http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/painting-supplies/palettes/air-tight-palettes/acryl-a-miser-air-tight-palette-system.htm

bunford

Looks good but from a quick Google search it appears to only be available in the US (I am in UK).

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Andrew

I use the Masterson palette keeper and the Masterson Sta-Wet palette. In the latter case I toss the sponge and palette paper (can’t stand the stuff). I drop a piece of plate glass (gently) into the bottom of each and lay out my paints on a damp paper towel or cloth placed along the edge.

I have kept paints workable for as long as 3 months or so this way. Mixes are a bit more problematic, but as long as I keep them scraped up in good piles and spritzed they stay workable for several days. I also have used the little dixie cups with lids (like ketchup used to come in at restaurants) for mixes too, but found that harder to work with than the benefit it provided keeping my mixes workable.

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
                    - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

Davkin

I use the Masterson palette keeper and the Masterson Sta-Wet palette. In the latter case I toss the sponge and palette paper (can’t stand the stuff). I drop a piece of plate glass (gently) into the bottom of each and lay out my paints on a damp paper towel or cloth placed along the edge.

Andrew

Ditto

David

Joanne_N

I just recently started painting with acrylics and I use the Masterson Sta-Wet Premiere palette, it’s 12″ x 16″. It’s great for dragging paint back and forth to classes and workshops and using the sponge & palette paper, I’ve kept paint in it for as long as 8 weeks just fine.

I have recently been intrigued by the idea of using glass for a palette, and never even thought about using the Masterson box to hold it. What an awesome idea! Thanks Andrew!! :clap:

Babs2

Mine is home made and works wonderfully. My past attempts with sponges have dried out too soon mostly because I didn’t notice when they needed water. I have a container with a lid meant to hold 8.5″ x 11″ paper from Michaels craft store and it’s only a little over an inch a high. I put some water in it. I have a plastic piece – well it was packaging from a kids toy but think of something like a piece of wood that has some height to keep it above the water. I wrap old t-shirt material around it so it touches the bottom and can wick up the water. I put parchment paper over the t-shirt. I can adjust the moisture by how much water is in it. (Usually enough to see some extra water is about right for me.) I can put the lid on and it lasts for weeks. I have a little extra room in front so I can put a tiny container of water for thinning.

See here for making your own.

Air tight container in a size of choice is basically all you need plus paper towel and mister ……. baking parchment is good for putting the paint on in little (or big) piles.

Autoslip made a good suggestion which I use – laminate an A4 piece of paper to use for mixing – easy-clean, easy to replace when necessary.

Incidentally, I use an A5 size mixing area and just clean off when dry – don’t need more!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

PattiLou

I use the small Masterson with glass in the bottom (with a piece of gray paper under the glass) but not the sponge. To keep the paint moist I mist it while paInting and just before closing the lid I place a piece of wet kitchen sponge in the corner. It lasts quite a long time.

Patti

bunford

I have seen this for cheap in my local store. In terms of size, it is perfect. It has 20 wells to separate colours to keep them clean as well as a well sized removable mixing palette. It also has an air tight seal on the lid.

I am just wondering what would be the best way to keep paints wet in this? Would I need to put the sponge and wax paper layers in each well, or would keep a wet sponge in one of the well keep enough moisture in the box to keep all the paints wet?

http://www.saa.co.uk/premier-palette-box.html

http://www.saa.co.uk/premier-palette-box.html

I suppose all you can really do is try it!
                                        It looks more for w/colours than acrylics – but maybe it depends how log you’ll want to keep the paints workable.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

PattiLou

A piece of sponge in the box keeps all my paint piles wet. I don’t worry about having one near each pile. I tried using a palette with wells but did not like cleaning them… too hard a time consuming. Easier to just scrape the glass after misting the leftover paint, it softens up and comes off real easy. Hope that helps.

Patti

DMSS

How thick a piece of glass? 1/4 inch?

--David

PattiLou

The glass I use was a piece out of an old frame… not very thick, around 1/4″ or less. The edges can be sharp but you can use sand paper to smooth them down, especially if you use the glass on your desk top without the palette. Give it a try to see if you like it. Cheeper than buying lots of different palettes! :lol:

Patti

asmith38

Masking tape around the edges can make it a little safer.

I use some old sushi trays. They have lids. When I have some dry paint built-up, I can just peel it off.

Ann-Yes
                                                        From the Florida Keys... where your paint never dries ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Stay Wet Palette Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.