Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Boating on a calm lake

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rbhatt

Approx. 4 hours of OP work on a 9×12 inches white construction paper (from dollar tree). Surface is rather smooth. Mostly Cray-Pas Expressionist OPs with some highlighted areas done by white Sennelier.

Comments are appreciated.

Raj

R-B
        Williamsburg, VA
        My Instagram Page

rbhatt

Here are the two images that were used as references to create this painting.

Raj

R-B
            Williamsburg, VA
            My Instagram Page

Beautiful! I like your combination of the 2 references. The scene is tranquil making me want to be there.
            Have another look at your values in the trees and their reflections using a black and white version of your painting. I’d bring in just a little bit more contrast.

Christel

Rich A

Very nice Raj. I really like the details and the way you rendered the boat and guy. Sky looks great and water is so calm. Very peaceful scene.

rbhatt

Rich- I really appreciate your feedback.
                    Christel- I agree with your comment about the contrast adjustment. I tried to improve a bit by darkening some portion but it didn’t work that great as the paper is too smooth to take any more OP. While drawing from the reference image, I messed up with the shoreline on left side, which is straight in my painting. The reference picture has it bent so there is more shade in the left side. I also added some texture over water where trees’ reflections occur using horizontal strokes to enhance the presence of water. I didn’t want to put too much details of foliage in the reflection like in the camera picture, I thought that would distract the viewers from the boat and the guy rowing the boat, which is the center of interest. Here is how it looks now.

Raj

R-B
                    Williamsburg, VA
                    My Instagram Page

rbhatt

One more revision. I darkened under the tree areas on left and applied some lighter value highlights using a palette knife to trees to create more contrast.

The painting looks little bit warmer in this picture because of room light.
                        Raj

R-B
                        Williamsburg, VA
                        My Instagram Page

I like your adjustments. Beautiful!

Christel

talinka

Very nice drawing! I like the reflections in the water and the little details are excellent. Nice work with the construction paper, I worked with it in the past and found it very difficult.
                            If you can, I’d work a bit on the right side of the contour of the lake. I understand you were trying to depict the turn, but it stands out. I would straighten the contour and use the trees and the colors of the trees (darker for closer, lighter for the distant) to show the curve.

Tali

Trier

A very nice, likable painting.

Each one of your adjustments hit it’s mark in improving the picture and I think I can see what talinka is referring to.

Regards,
                                Trier

rbhatt

Christel- Thank you for liking it.
                                    Tali and Trier- I agree I could have done a better job with the contour and distant trees. But I find it little challenging to fix it now, specially because of the smoothness of the paper. So I am going to leave it as it is. I really appreciate your feedbacks.

Raj

R-B
                                    Williamsburg, VA
                                    My Instagram Page

talinka

Hi Raj,
                                        I hear what you say about the support. I think you achieved excellent results with construction paper which is very difficult to work with. Choosing your support is very important and can impact the end result quite a bit. The best support for me is a rather simple Daler -Rowney black sketchbook. the black pages are 180g and have a medium texture. I’m working on a drawing which I started with a really bad sketch and had to do a lot of adjustments, and so far it’s been very complaint. When I’m done with it, I’ll post WIP images so you can see hoe much I’ve changed it.

Tali

rbhatt

Tali,
                                            I totally agree with you on choosing a right support for the painting work. That construction paper was the left over piece from my son’s family tree project for school and I just wanted to try how the OPs work on it. What I liked about it is due to its smoothness, the OP spreads very easily. But yes, when it comes to corrections, it is little difficult. I look forward to see WIP pictures of your project using Daler -Rowney black sketchbook.

Raj

R-B
                                            Williamsburg, VA
                                            My Instagram Page

terriks

Hey Raj! I think this turned out very well. Your sky is so realistic, just lovely to look at. The details of the boat and the figure are fantastic! Did you use colored pencils here?

Great job.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

rbhatt

Terri- Thank you for your feedback. You are correct, I forgot to mention that I used black and brown colored pencils for creating the edges of the boat, pedals and figure.

Raj

R-B
                                                    Williamsburg, VA
                                                    My Instagram Page

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.