Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing colors associated with copper and gold?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    warwulf

I have a book on mixing colors but nothing on the colors for copper and gold.
        Any suggestions?
        I’ve tried Italian reds, Mars red (comes close) and some raw siennas & yellow ochres but it’s still lacking that …..precise color. Same with the gold. ochers, siennas, pale cad yellows but it’s still lacking that real quality.

In- THANKS-advance :D

M

Mythrill

I have a book on mixing colors but nothing on the colors for copper and gold.
            Any suggestions?
            I’ve tried Italian reds, Mars red (comes close) and some raw siennas & yellow ochres but it’s still lacking that …..precise color. Same with the gold. ochers, siennas, pale cad yellows but it’s still lacking that real quality.

In- THANKS-advance :D

M

No regular color will be able to imitate copper and gold when laid opaquely. Instead, you must play with color a little, playing with colors that range from lemon yellow to orange.

Patrick1

I don’t think I’ve painted either copper or gold yet, but a few ideas:

For copper, Burnt Sienna should be a very good starting color, then modified as needed with white, and small amounts of yellow or red, maybe even black for the darkest parts.

For gold, your main color might be lemon yellow plus a touch of burnt sienna, lightened with white as needed. Nickel Azo Yellow might actually be the closest starting color, but not everyone has it.

There might be better colors to use but this is my first instinct about how I would try to achieve them. As always, you’ll have to play around to see which colors and proportions work best for your rendering…it will vary based on ambient lighting and surrounding colors and the overall color scheme you’re using.

deedeedaydee

Umm, you can buy gold and copper paints. Golden do a selection of them (in acrylic anyway).
                    I was amazed, because the crappy art kit I used at school didn’t even have non frayed brushes, let alone a colour not in the rainbow. It was lovely to paint with these new colours :)

Why mix what you can buy?

Patrick1

The original question seems to be asking how to mix colors to paint the colors you see in copper and gold – at least that’s how I interpreted it. Using metallic paints on their own won’t give the mirror-like reflections and contrast you see on metallic objects, they have to be painted in.

Anonymous

You certainly don’t need to use it, but I like to use Winsor Newton metallic gold paint for painting gold:

Here it is fading into burnt umber glazes.
                            I like the extra glow it can have.

Nickel

You certainly don’t need to use it, but I like to use Winsor Newton metallic gold paint for painting gold:

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/23-Nov-2015/112587-112587-IMG_0353.JPG[/IMG]

Here it is fading into burnt umber glazes.
                                I like the extra glow it can have.

Like :)

DaveCrow

Miniature wargames figure painters have a number of techniques for non-metalic metal painting.

In painting highlights and reflections can be a big part of getting metal surfaces to look metallic.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

oramasha

Gold is just shades of a brownish yellow in differing values, no? I think I’ve done it with cad yellows, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, tit white. I sort of recall making a brown and then having the yellows “pop” against it. I’m sure any yellows would work.

As Patrick said, I’d start with a burnt sienna or a transparent red oxide for copper and you’re going for a range of orangish browns.

Metals are reflective, obviously, so they will pick up colors that are reflected in it.

I’m sure all my art books would say to forget it is a “metal” and paint the colors that you see. i.e. If the “gold” looks blue, paint it blue. Paint what you see, not what you know, more or less.

opainter

Here’s all the ways that I know that a painter can get the color gold:

[*]Mix pretty much any yellow and brown paints in the right proportion.
                                              [*]Use “Quinacridone/Nickel Azo Gold” (from Golden) or some other pigment or combination named for the fact that it produces good golds.
                                              [*]Use “Metallic” paint that uses an additive to enhance its reflectivity.
                                              [*]Sell the house, the pets, and the children, so you can buy and use gold foil!

What is Sid using, you ask? Probably not gold foil! :lol:
                                            If I understand correctly, he is using a metallic paint.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                            :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                            :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Anonymous

using option 3 on that one, and holding at an angle to the light :D

fedetony

Metallic paints reflect the light on the surface depending on your environment, they make all the details fade…
                                                    This painting was made with metallic colors and the reflections make the details not to be noticeable:
                                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390589
                                                    It has metallic Blue, Metallic green and copper, wanted to use the gold for the yellow, but it looked bad. I suggest to use the highlights and surface reflections to give the appearance of metallic, rather than the “gold” paint itself.

Federico Garcia
                                                    My Blog
                                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Mythrill

It has metallic Blue, Metallic green and copper, wanted to use the gold for the yellow, but it looked bad. I suggest to use the highlights and surface reflections to give the appearance of metallic, rather than the “gold” paint itself.

Actual gold looks really beautiful on canvas (as you can see in Duhrer’s works), but good look trying to afford it. :eek:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘colors associated with copper and gold?’ is closed to new replies.