WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Two doors down from the igloo

Hails from Canada
Question from newbie.

Hi, I am new to cp and was wondering how I can prevent wax bloom when combining cp and acrylic? I heard that if you use a good fixative that will work well. If so, when should I apply the fixative......right away or wait a little while? I also wondered if you can add some acrylic on top of the cp without it lifting? I am currently just experimenting with prismacolor cps

Ian
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Question from newbie.

Welcome, I dont know if you have looked around any, but you will find the artist here a very friendly helpful group. PS.. I dont know the answer to your question, but I am sure someone does. You might look through the library. Again welcome!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Scotland

Hails from Canada

i've used cps over light washes of acrylic, and haven't had any problems with wax bloom. you can use acrylics over cps and not have the cp lift off but unless its light washes what is the point? you would just cover up what you have put down with cp.
people do tend to put the fixative on as soon as possible, but i haven't had any problems with waiting until later
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I use a fixative right away, but mostly so I won' t forget later, not because I'm in a rush to beat the bloom. Honestly, I've never had a problem with bloom, even on early work that I didn't fix. And mixing acrylic and cp shouldn't be a problem.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States

Definitely have some bloom issues with my lion fish, particularly where I put heavy layers of CP over acrylic paint. But then I always have wax bloom issues with my Prismacolor pencil pieces, I always wait until the finish before laying down the fixative.

Rob
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Ian, first off your portrait work is amazing!!!!! I use oil based pencils. I have used acylics and oils with no problem over my pencil work. The oils will blend
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback.
Thanks for the compliment "pencilmadness"

Ian
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Ian, I've never experienced wax bloom and dont know much about acrylics either, but I've always thought your work was absolutely stunning whenever I came across it, very intrigued to see what you come up with with cp's, what sort of piece are you doing??? (curious as hell )
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Piece is now posted "Lexycat"

Ian