Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum is linseed more flexible than walnut?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    tidal

Hate asking these simple questions and I’m not lazy I’ve been all over internet and back ! Be great to get some straight answer Some paint companys state they put walnut ij there paints as it is more flexible…others say linseed etc can’t seem to get a straight answer and it is fairly important I know

many thanks :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Ellis Ammons

linseed is strongest. walnut yellows less.

Personally I think walnut on rigid support will make the best looking paint for the longest amount of time. There are many many variables so there is no right answer.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
            oil and acrylic paintings..

Anonymous

linseed is more flexible, walnut is more brittle, it is simple polymer chemistry.
                linseed has significantly more longer chain fatty acids that form a respectively longer, more complex, more sturdy and flexible polymer matrix. Stand oil is even better.

Some paint companys state

therein lies the issue of biased information.
                paint companies tend to state that they are the best, they use the best stuff, more stuff, less stuff, etc. ad nauseum, and that everyone else’s paint is inferior to their product.

tidal

Sidbledsoe ooh cheers for that :) that helps to know due to mixing oils/layering etc etc :) yes that’s it the companys allways harping on whatever is in it is better than what

Yes thanks Ellis many benefits to walnut thanks for informing me of it more brittle compared to linseed which again companys are conflicting about that as again they want there stuff to be apearing better and then you don’t get realy true information etc..am use it on linen covered mapel wood board so be fine

thankyou for answering :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Gigalot

Before being brittle, walnut oil need to dry. Unfortunatelly, walnut oil can dry forever with some poorly drying pigments, forever will be non-dried and nobody know it will hydrolize and decompose or being brittle…:confused: M.Graham advertise it as a most non-toxic oil between other non-toxic vegetable oils. Even more than even non. Some artists propose it as a “sticky” oiling out stuff. Stickness makes it good to paint over. So, use it with some care.

Humbaba

Linseed oil is the best choice for oil painting, this is not new, the topic has been studied, take a look at Ralph Mayer’s The Artist’s Handbook of Materials and Techniques.

Unfortunately Walnut oil is weak, and goes rancid in storage. It can be used though in the manufacturer of fine varnishes due to fact that can be bleached in sunlight quickly and completely.

Richard P

Walnut oil gives a slippery feeling I’ve not found with other oils.

The rancid thing puzzles me, I have a small bottle that’s now 1/4 full after a year and it’s not gone off yet..

contumacious

I wonder if a mix of Walnut and Linseed might be a good option….

Painting on a rigid surface is equally as important, if not more so, than the type of oil you use if your goal is a durable painting that is resistant to cracking. If you like painting on canvas, mount the canvas on a solid support, or prime it directly if you don’t want the look or feel of canvas.

Ellis Ammons

Walnut oil has more linoleic and oleic acid which makes it less prone to cracking and scratching.

Linseed has more linolenic acid which makes it stick to the ground and other layers more.

Basically neither of these things we have to worry about in our life times. It’s for conservationist 500 years from now. But I think walnut is the clear winner. Less cracks and brighter less yellow colors.

The only thing we should really be worried about is the handling properties like slipperiness or the drying time.

Ellis Ammons

I wonder if a mix of Walnut and Linseed might be a good option….

Painting on a rigid surface is equally as important, if not more so, than the type of oil you use if your goal is a durable painting that is resistant to cracking. If you like painting on canvas, mount the canvas on a solid support, or prime it directly if you don’t want the look or feel of canvas.

Just remeber slow over fast. So you would want to either keep it the same or add more walnut as you layer.

Ellis Ammons

Also I have a test canvas I just slap walnut based paint on with different mediums and color willy nilly for about 2 years. And none off that is cracked.

I use very little solvent in painting. I think solvent is the reason stuff cracks within a short amount of time. As long as you keep enough drying oil in your paint layers you should be fine. Of course this is all from my massive 3 years of experience. :)

contumacious

Just remeber slow over fast. So you would want to either keep it the same or add more walnut as you layer.

I meant walnut and linseed oils mixed together at whatever might be found to be the “ideal” fixed ratio, then used as a medium, not alternating between them.

Ellis Ammons

I meant walnut and linseed oils mixed together at whatever might be found to be the “ideal” fixed ratio, then used as a medium, not alternating between them.

I don’t think there really is such a thing. Linseed oil has varying amounts of acid in it so it really wouldn’t be an exact science. But maybe half n half. Personally I use half stand half walnut medium. But it’s mainly for the handling more so than making my painting last longer than my bones.

Humbaba

It would be more suitable to mix it with with Stand oil, but that would require to heat both oils separately, and finally cook them toguether for 10-15 minutes.

The only instance I use Walnut oil is when fused with 10% Amber resin, this way I take advantage of its transparency, cutting the drying time considerably.

Ellis Ammons

It would be more suitable to mix it with with Stand oil, but that would require to heat both oils separately, and finally cook them toguether for 10-15 minutes.

The only instance I use Walnut oil is when fused with 10% Amber resin, this way I take advantage of its transparency, cutting the drying time considerably.

What on earth are you talking about… Linseed, stand and walnut are fully compatible with each other. You don’t have to cook them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.