Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Golden QoR Watercolors?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Devoted 2Art

:wave: Saw this & it took me by surprise. http://www.merriartist.com/Golden_QoR_Watercolors_s/1594.htm

Thought Golden only makes acrylics. I’m curious to get a real review of these. The introductory set of 12 seems reasonable (Not that I need anymore paints.)
        -John

Cyntada

I’d like to hear more about them too. They’re a bit spendy, so I wonder if the Aquazol makes some huge difference or if i’s just another binder. Disappointing that they don’t list pigments. The swatches look true to single-pigment formulas on my monitor, but I really don’t expect that one paint to be genuine Manganese Blue! If it’s not a hue, I’d be snapping that up post-haste!

Here’s the skinny on Aquazol[/URL], if you want the geeky chemical stuff. Now I want to try very hard to use “compatibilizer” in a sentence this week :lol:

CK =)
            I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
            DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
            opainter

“Coming in May 2014” according to the page at the link you gave. I found this page[/URL] at the blog of Angela Fehr, who was asked to review these paints. Since you were interested in a review, you should certainly check out that page! It includes a painting Angela did with the paints. Golden is expanding into the artist marker market (April 2014, I think), and now it appears that they are also expanding into watercolors. (Golden already owns the Williamsburg line of oil colors.)

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

opainter

@ Cyntada – Yeah, they looked a little pricey to me, too. Their oil paints are also pricey. Their acrylics are competitively priced, about the same as Liquitex, and less than Winsor & Newton. I guess that as long as they keep their core product more affordable, they don’t need to be as concerned about fluctuating levels of demand for their additional product lines, so they can charge more for them. I’ll be interested in what price they set for their acrylic markers (which use their fluid or airbrush acrylics).

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                    :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                    :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

indianagreg

Yes, “pricey.” And the tubes are only 11ml each, although they claim their paints are ”five times stronger” than Company A’s and Company B’s paints. Personally, I’ve never tried either of those paint brands….

Another link[/URL].

Official Website?[/URL]

Greg

Undergoose

The claim of 5x is pretty exuberant, I think. Not sure what watercolors they’re comparing it to, but I’m very doubtful. Laying heavy applictions of M. Graham, Holbein, Schmincke, Daniel Smith, Da Vinci, Shinhan, etc. already results in economical opaque colors.

Judging from that picture and the review, that binder looks kinda goopy; using a polymer smacks of having an acrylic like behavior, regardless of whether or not it can be reconstituted when dry. Maybe their 5x claim results from something like, “you can only thin it to 5x as thick as normal watercolor”. Or maybe the washes actually have some structural strength. What’s next, Gorilla Brand Watercolors? :p

I love all of the Golden stuff I’ve ever worked with, so of course I’ll try them, but I won’t be doing anything other than the starter set. At that ridiculous per-tube price point, I don’t care how ‘strong’ they are. I already have trouble grabbing light amounts of the heavily pigmented brands we currently use. Pigment load has no value if you’re just washing it out into your water jug all the time.

I hope Golden isn’t falling into the marketing garbage that so many companies do. Regardless of strength, if that poly binder behaves like I suspect, they’re not going to work like real watercolors. Who knows, though. Maybe on yupo paper, we’ll see the next generation of watermedia products. Time will tell.

Karl

"Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat." ~Steven Wright

hblenkle

“The colour dries very true to the wet colour, which is often a problem in watercolour, but the texture and response is different than I am used to. I’m not seeing the blending and reactions that I am used to in traditional watercolour paints, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I have used Golden liquid acrylics before and the QoR watercolour paints are very similar.”

Above is from the Angela Fehr blog. She says she will say more later after using them more.

indianagreg

The “Quote” button doesn’t seem to be working….

Anyway, Karl, I had the same thought when you said, “I already have trouble grabbing light amounts of the heavily pigmented brands we currently use….”

One more artist is trying them out: Cathy Johnson at Artists’ Journal Workshop.

Greg

Undergoose

…Anyway, Karl, I had the same thought when you said, “I already have trouble grabbing light amounts of the heavily pigmented brands we currently use….”

Right?! I swear, half the time I say the magic word and just barely wave my brush over the paint, and I still have to blot 85% of it into my paper towel before I can paint with it. Either that or I end up with giant puddles on my palette when I try to thin it. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the next review! With that binder, I’m getting visions of a stringy mess when trying to mix a light wash. I’m looking forward to May, though! It’s always a gas to try new toys. :D

Karl

"Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat." ~Steven Wright

hblenkle

“AND I was pleased with the paints, which are strongly pigmented and re-wet nicely.”

Cathy Johnson’s comment in her Artist’s Journal Workshop concerning Golden QoR Watercolors.

Undergoose

Wow, she made those colors look great! That starter set is looking promising :)

Karl

indraneel

I have to say that one of my pigment suppliers sells acrylic (building exterior paint), and has offered me both acrylic binders and pigment pastes (pigment powder, water, dispersant, preservative). These pastes are the raw material for acrylic pigments, and every acrylic manufacturer has access to it. Could be less fun than wearing dust masks and pounding a pestle.

Found some info about Aquazol
                                                    http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/aquazol/water-soluble-resins
                                                    http://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/mediums–binders-und-glues/water-soluble-binders/mediums-und-natural-gums/aquazol-200-63902:.html

I’ve used synthetic office paste, and it works (sometimes better), even though it is more fluid. That might also explain the greater pigment load.

We live in interesting times!

Hoplite

http://www.qorcolors.com

If you click (well, tap for me since I’m doing this simultaneously with my iPad for viewing their site) on a color, it brings up the particulars. For example, Aureolin Modern (they couldn’t use “hue”?) the pigments are PW6 and PY150, pigment names, common names for the pigments, ASTM rating, opacity, and staining. Not all the colors have a clickable swatch yet.

Edit in: And I guess the message is don’t do this on your iPad, because all the color swatches seem to be there when using my computer. I couldn’t see their Burnt Sienna on my iPad for instance, but on the computer it’s all there.

Burnt Sienna (Natural)
                                                        Series : 1
                                                        CI Name : Pbr7
                                                        Pigment Name : Calcined Natural Iron Oxide
                                                        Common Name : N/A
                                                        ASTM Lightfastness : I
                                                        Opacity : SO
                                                        Staining : Semi-staining
                                                        Content Binding : Aquazol®
                                                        Size : 5ml, 11ml

I was curious if it was going to be PBr7 – I have the W&N PR101, and was thinking of trying a PBr7 version, so this would be an excuse to try both that and Qor at the same time for me.

Pars

I have some dot samples from Golden of the new QoR and tried them out for colour only, and really liked them on the new Pentalic watercolour journal. They are amazingly transparent.

I’ll be pleased to hear what folks think when the tubes are more available.

Correction, no I tested them on the sample watercolour paper that came with the dots. I’ll test them on the journal this weekend.

Zoe

Harold Roth

I actually veered off into using acrylic inks and liquid acrylics with watercolor methods recently, and IMO Golden has more info about their pigments than anyone else. I think if they are indeed 5 x stronger, it is because the pigment particles are milled very fine. I could really see this difference contrasting the acrylic colors with the watercolor pigments I use. BUT one of the problems I had with the acrylics was precisely what Undergoose mentions–having to use very little of a pigment because it was so intense.

The other thing was that because (IMO this is the reason:) the pigments are so finely milled, they lack that character that is so (also IMO) lovable about watercolor–that texture. And I even don’t use granulated colors much; I prefer transparents such as WN focuses on. But even so, despite the intensity of the acrylic pigments, I felt they did not have the richness of texture of a watercolor pigment. I think they would be good for people who want to do very modern or fresh and striking images. I’m sure I will try some of them. But even looking at the samples, I see the homogeneity of the particles, which results, IMO, in a patch of color that does not have much depth. Some people might prefer that. Personally, I found that lack of depth/texture/character was problematic for me using acrylics as watercolors, even though most other things about them are great–like the cheapness, how quickly they dry, you can do jillions of clear glazes on any kind of paper at all, and so forth.

I meant to post a link to their pigment page for their liquid acrylics so you can see how much info they give:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/color/fluid/fldcht1.php

Click on a swatch to see what I mean.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.