Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Favorite supports for egg tempera

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    JamieWG

What are your favorite supports for egg tempera? Let’s create a reference thread for archival supports that members buy or make for this traditional medium. I know nothing about egg tempera, so I need all the info I can get!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
        [/url]
        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

spellbreaker

The best supports for egg tempera are wood or masonite, because egg tempera turns very hard, like stone, with time. If you put egg tempera over a canvas, the painting will crack in time with the movement or rolling of the canvas.

JamieWG

Spellbreaker, welcome to Wetcanvas, and thank you for your input! Can it also be used with canvas glued to wood or masonite? Can it be primed with either oil based gesso or acrylic primer, as if for oil painting?

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                [/url]
                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Probably any support which is archival for tempera would also be good for casein, since it gets brittle as it cures.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                Richard

spellbreaker

Thank you for your welcome. It can be used with canvas glued to wood or masonite, but it must be primed with traditional thin gesso, without any kind of oil. You can experiment it too with an acrylic primer, but my experience is that is not better result that the one with traditional thin gesso.

deadsam

I use masonite (no oil in it) and rabbit skin glue with marble chalk as a gesso heated up and painted and sanded, never had an issue with this.

~Sam ~
                        to dream is great, to create the dream is better, to live your dream is best
                        my website

spellbreaker

I use too rabbit skin glue or grenetina, with titanium oxide and calcium carbonate, is an exellent gesso for all techniques

Grenetina? That’s a gelatine, isn’t it?

David Blaine Clemons
                            ----------------
                            My Website
                            My Blog

spellbreaker

Yes, It is. 70grms. of gelatine or rabbit skin glue hidrated in one liter of water 24 hours before heat it in order to disolve the gelatine. Then disolved and heated without letting it boil, add one portion of titanium oxide and revolve, then a portion of calcium carbonate and revolve, and on and on until it seems like comertial vynil painting for walls. Then put it on the wood or the masonite with a brush.

Starrpoint

Where would you get this rabbit glue and such? I have heard others talk of the rabbit skin glue and marble dust but have no Idea of where to get it.

Starrpoint*

2006-2007 Dick Blick Catalog p. 96 –

Gamblin Rabbit Skin Glue, 1 lb. – $15.79.
                                    Fredrix Powdered Marble Dust, 4 lb. – $4.59.

C&C is welcome.
                                    Richard

richlll

I use masonite (no oil in it) and rabbit skin glue with marble chalk as a gesso heated up and painted and sanded, never had an issue with this.

This is exactly right, btw, never use acrylic gesso with egg tempera.

See:
                                        http://www.eggtempera.com/supports.html
                                        “Acrylic primer is considered not compatable with egg tempera.”

RS Glue, french chalk and zinc or titanium white is a perfectly smooth and slightly velvety ground for egg tempera, I’ve also tempered 140+ lb. watercolor paper with alum and painted on it for some quick work.

…I’ve also tempered 140+ lb. watercolor paper with alum and painted on it for some quick work.

Unless it’s a trade secret, how do you temper the paper with alum? Thanks.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                                        Richard

richlll

Unless it’s a trade secret, how do you temper the paper with alum? Thanks.

Richard

Hi Richard: No secrets here, usually size made from hide glue is a 10% solution, for sizing paper use a 3% solution, for a quart of this add a 1/4 tsp. of alum, use the solution as a bath for the paper and hang on a clip to dry, I saturate the paper. If you get some buckling I would press it between a couple sheets of newsprint when it is still damp, not dripping but damp in that you can feel it is cool with the back of your hand. I am just getting into all of these old ways of doing things and have become obsessed with seeing what works.

Get this book and you will lose days of sleep: Formulas for Painters by Robert Massey.

Rich

Hi Richard: No secrets here, usually size made from hide glue is a 10% solution, for sizing paper use a 3% solution, for a quart of this add a 1/4 tsp. of alum, use the solution as a bath for the paper and hang on a clip to dry, I saturate the paper.

Thanks, Rich! I’ll get the Massey book.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                                            Richard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.