Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Oleogel vs Neo Megilp!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    neilpriceart

Hi, I was wondering the differences between these two mediums. Gamblin do Neo Megilp which i think is based on Alkyd. Oleogel is linseed and Silica. They are both thixotropic.
        I have Neo Megilp and its lovely to use. How does Oleogel compare? is it glossier? is it thicker more like Old Masters Maroger?
        Love to know your thoughts.

neilpriceart

so many views, zero replies :(

Humbaba

Perhaps nobody knows the answer to your question. I have never used any of them.

Mythrill

Hi, I was wondering the differences between these two mediums. Gamblin do Neo Megilp which i think is based on Alkyd. Oleogel is linseed and Silica. They are both thixotropic.
                    I have Neo Megilp and its lovely to use. How does Oleogel compare? is it glossier? is it thicker more like Old Masters Maroger?
                    Love to know your thoughts.

I don’t know how Oleogel compares to Neo Megilp, but it is glossy. The biggest advantage over traditional media is that oleogel can be mixed to any percentage paint – the only limit being the lightfastness of the paint it is mixed to (large amounts will make the paint more transparent and more prone to fading if it is vulnerable to do so).

contumacious

I found a quote talking about Gamblin Solvent Free Gel vs Oleo Gel. I do have some Gamblin SFG and their NeoMegilp The SFG has a more firm body to it and it dries more glossy than the Neo which Gamblin says imparts a satin sheen. The Neo will slosh around in the jar if shaken. The SFG is about the same consistency of some oil paints. I will pay more attention the next time I use them on the sheen and may post future observations. Gamblin says no more than 25% of SFG to paint.

http://debkart.com/blog/118372/my-favorite-paint-brands

Hi Vicki! I feel there is no difference when I use oleo gel vs Gamblin Solvent free medium. The reason I prefer Gamblin is it is non yellowing over time. They are otherwise equally suited for glazing and impasto in my humble opinion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • The topic ‘Oleogel vs Neo Megilp!’ is closed to new replies.