Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Photoetching Intaglio with a desktop laser cutter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    skinnerm

Is a good result possible when “photo-etching” a metal or perspex plate with a home/desktop laser cutter – for the end purpose of inking it up and printing it in medium/small editions.

Surely possible considering the low dpi required with standard photoetching?

Seeing some good impersonations of intaglio line work/typography and relief work but not straight up photo-etching.

Essentially looking for A4 to A3 non-toxic options options that don’t require exposure units/image on/sun plates, etc.

Thanks

Matthew

ALSilva

Hi – Around 3 years ago, I tried to “perfect” laser-etching on plexi acrylic sheets at TechShop San Francisco using an Epilog Laser etching machine. Then I had to retire and move abroad so I only have test plates & prints and would have to find my notes somewhere. I do think it’s possible and you would have to google more recent developments. I did a lot of testing just to try to get enough etched depth to hold ink properly. I inked and printed intaglio.

skinnerm- I did a considerable number of tests using lasers to cut printing blocks. You can find my results on the Briar Press website.

The long and short is that plastic is not the best material for lasers since it doesn’t burn clean. It tends to melt, and/or produce a ragged line. It does work…. it’s just not the best.

The best material I found was hardwood, especially cherry or maple. ( Poplar and cedar also works, but doesn’t hold up as well in a press. ) The beauty of wood is that is a renewable resource, burns cleanly, and is available almost anywhere.

If you look up my Briar Press postings, there is a picture of 6pt type that I cut….. which printed perfectly for several thousand impressions.

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

skinnerm

Thanks man. Appreciate the ground work and the tips

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.