Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink P&I Forum Challenge – September 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Welcome to our forum challenge for SEPTEMBER in which we continue our encouragement to Draw from Life!

The aim is to capture our own personal and individual moments and share them here on this thread!

All suggestions/subjects/themes come from those who participate!:lol:

** As you post your own drawing in this thread, please then also suggest ONE subject/topic for next month. One entry = One suggestion for the following month …. another entry? – another suggestion!:)

By the end of the month we should have a range of ideas from which you can choose – and please do feel free to discuss any of the suggestions raised: who knows, you may even start keeping your own private list for future ideas!**

One important ruleEntries must be at least 75% pen and ink[/SIZE] in any colour – and wash or colour may be added.[/COLOR]

Your topics for this month are …..

something environmentally friendly.

a sunrise.

sandals

smaller outdoor structure, i.e. greenhouse, shed, chicken coop, pergola?

building(s)

a toy.

Favorite activity from elementary school (perhaps a self portrait reading or drawing?) …….. A mirror or…. a mirror IN a microwave

an animal.

Autumn themed (like pumpkins or acorns or autumn leaves)

Something special on your desk.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

rosta

Hey! I’m first again this month! It’s a “Twofer”, a toy and Sanlynn’s “something special on your desk” (Maureen you missed this :lol: ).

The toy is a tinplate pull-back-and-go given to me when I sold my motorbike. :crying: Its no substitute but it sits there on my desk….

….. getting in training for Inktober. :thumbsup:

Ron

C & C always welcome

LENGERT

Great drawing Ron. I like the story behind it too.

sanlynn

rosta

Thanks Sanlynn. I still miss my motorbike……. although my family don’t.

Maureen – my suggestion for next month is: a houseplant.

…….and just 23 days to Inktober :clap:

Ron

C & C always welcome

Sorry Ron, and thank you … Sanlynn’s suggestion now added!

What a lovely toy to sit on your desk! Very nice drawing too…. nice rendering of different textures.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

skipkeyser

“Napa Sunrise” 6-1/4″ x 9″ (~16 x 23 cm) done with Sakura Pigma Micron 005 (light brown/sepia and black) and Sharpie extra fine (green, yellow, brown and mocha) pens on 55#/110 gsm acid-free tinted bristol:

For October: a backyard (or park, or…) water feature (pond, fountain, etc.).

Skip Keyser
                    skipkeyserart.blogspot.com

You live in the Napa Valley Skip? – wow, all that wine!!!;);)

Really like this drawing – beautifully controlled, as this style needs to be I think!:)

Cheers, Maureen

skipkeyser

“…all that wine…”

Indeed, there is a bit of wine produced in Napa Valley and my wife and I are fortunate to live in the unincorporated area on the valley floor just south of the small town of Yountville, surrounded by vineyards (Krug to the north-west, V. Sattui to the south-west, Clos du Val to the east) with a new winery being built about 2 miles away (bleh!; in 1975 there were 25 wineries in Napa Valley, today there are over 475, with an increasing trend of event-centered and food-serving wineries that have had an adverse impact on restaurants and other venues). However, as with any heavily agricultural area, there are “issues,” not the least of which is the fact that the valley has developed into a mono-culture, subject to changes in taste and – more directly – vine pests. And recently there is the specter of cannabis farming and whether it is allowed/afforded protection in the agricultural preserve (land use designation originally intended to ensure land outside the various city limits stayed available for grape production).

And then there is the fact that visitors to the Napa Valley have a distinct preference for vineyard- and wine-related art (I belong to the Art Association of Napa Valley’s cooperative art gallery) which can be a double-edged sword (particularly if you do non-representational art).

Finally, the severe impact of land and labor costs, coupled with increased housing demand, has driven the cost of housing beyond the reach of most young families (and a lot of older couples too). Consequently, our teachers, fire and police personnel and most others live elsewhere and commute to Napa for work, exacerbating the traffic situation and adversely impacting such things as school enrollment (I sit on two Napa Valley Unified School District commissions dealing with school construction and school closure) such that we have experienced declining school enrollment for several years and are now faced with closing two or more elementary schools while canceling the planned second middle school for American Canyon (an incorporated city in the south of Napa County).

Well, all of this has little to do with art, much less pen-&-ink, but (despite the fact that California, about 3/4ths the size of France, accounts for nearly 90 percent of American wine production) it does illustrate some of the difficult choices faced not only by Napa Valley but – I suspect – many (if not most) of the more populous regions in North America and around the world.

But it’s a great place to draw and paint…

Skip Keyser
                        skipkeyserart.blogspot.com

Not art, but interesting all the same!
                        So many of the effects and problems you outline could equally well relate to our country too……..
                        …… and I think you’ll just have to start making still life works of bottles ….. and bottles ….. and maybe the occasional glass thrown in!!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Anonymous

Hold on a minute Skip, would the above drawing not make a perfect label for a bottle of wine ?
                            Mike

Of course it would! Free wine next?:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Skip, we have much the same problems here but it’s all about the corn and soybeans here.

I like your style and the use of varying colors is so appealing too.

Ron, nice motorbike toy, looks like it’s ready to zoomzoom. I have a three wheeler Spyder which my son says makes me old but it’s very comfortable and has lots of room and places for my purse and plein air stuff.

I’m hoping to do Inktober, time permitting. I just bought some new dip pens. I like the microns but I do prefer the dip pen.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                            Find me on Instagram
                            Find me on Facebook

Potterspink

Great drawing Ron, my Dad’s motorbike outfit was just like that, I can smell the leather helmet and gauntlets just looking at it.
                                Skip I think your think your drawing is absolutely beautiful.
                                Potters

LENGERT

Skip, I agree that your drawing would make a great wine label. I was wondering how someone would portray a sunrise in pen and ink and you showed us how. Thanks for that.

sanlynn

LENGERT

This is a huge maple leaf we picked up on one of our walks along the Vedder River near our home. I tried to show all the curls from drying out. Orange paper, white gel pen 8 X 5 1/2″ done very quickly.
                                        Sketch pad paper, various Staedtler coloured pens, 12 1/2 X 9″.

Thanks for looking.
                                        October suggestion: seashells.

sanlynn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.