WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States
Deleting Account

Where is the account delete button?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Deleting Account

It is against wetcanvas policy to delete accounts, especially for members with a large number of posts.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

As other websites seem to understand, the decision to stay or go should be with the account holder, in this case me, irregardless of how many messages I've left to encourage others, etc.

Every other site where I have to sign in has an account delete option. If a person deletes their own account, but then changes their mind during the next 30 days, all they have to do is sign in again, and the account is reactivated with all information, etc., intact. Thus the website administrators don't have to deal with the changes of mind and regrets that come with such a difficult decision.

Perhaps Wet Canvas is behind the times, as your words indicate that there no option, and no flexibility.

In my opinion, that tough line is unreasonable.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Why do you want to delete your posts and threads? Deleted posts can ruin threads which have contributions form other members. Why not just stop posting?

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

I did NOT ask for posts and threads to be deleted.

I asked for the right to decide whether or not to close my account, which is an entirely different thing.

Every other website where I have to sign in has a non-destructive account delete option. A person may delete their own account, which should certainly be their right, without disrupting existing threads.

As mentioned, if there is a change of mind or heart during the next 30 days, all the account holder has to do is sign in again, and their account is reactivated again with all their settings, etc., intact.

The decision to stay or go should be with the account holder, in this case me, irregardless of how many messages they've left to encourage others, etc.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 PM
quartzite, AZ

Hails from United Nations

I agree with the OP. A user should have the right to decide whether he or she stays or goes. The decision and power to execute that decision should remain with the user and not with the organization. The statement "against policy" creates a shroud of vagueness and distrust. Why exactly is it "against policy"? It's not against policy to walk out of a store, a church, a subway station, etc. I haven't visited in years and have minimal intention of doing so in the future. Nothing personal, interests change. My guess is that the web property has an incentive to report higher than actual membership to the shareholders of troubled F+W.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Simply deleting the account will tag all posts as. "guest" posts. My error.

If you wish for your membership cancelled, contact your moderator.

Doug
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgesSeurat
I agree with the OP. A user should have the right to decide whether he or she stays or goes. The decision and power to execute that decision should remain with the user and not with the organization. The statement "against policy" creates a shroud of vagueness and distrust. Why exactly is it "against policy"? It's not against policy to walk out of a store, a church, a subway station, etc. I haven't visited in years and have minimal intention of doing so in the future. Nothing personal, interests change. My guess is that the web property has an incentive to report higher than actual membership to the shareholders of troubled F+W.

The deletion of account rule was established well before the ownership by F+W so your guess is incorrect.
I note you last posted ten years ago.

Yorky already explained why it is policy, but I will reiterate: Removing posts from a thread can make the entire thread meaningless so the actions of one member can ruin multiple threads for all members.

You raise a good point regarding policies on a web site and it is good to remember this when joining any site- read the terms of service before joining.

You do retain the right to leave and no longer participate. A member desiring to leave the site may do so and never post again. The account will go dormant and all the posts will slowly fade into the background as new threads drive them off the front pages and as those pages become history they are closed to further comments.

I hope this helps answer your questions.