WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
A Local Legend
Gatineau Quebec

Hails from Canada
Pebeo Gouache....any comments

Hi;
Having taken up a new interest in gouache after years of wc, I have read as many reviews concerning the properties , good and bad, of the many brands that are out there.
I'm not concerned about lightfastness and all those attributes that artists love to discuss.
Pebeo has put out a HUGH plastic tube that is 200ml in size and have a nice range of colours. In Canada, the price is $13.00.
I have tried gouache, and my main reaction was that compared to wc's, a lot more paint is used and 37ml does seem a bit small.
I suppose the correct answer would be ....try it, but perhaps some of you have...
Maybe I should be the 1st to try them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Pebeo Gouache....any comments

I'd be interested in knowing this, too, sounds like a good deal. I have been using the Richeson (Yarka) pots, which are very cheap, but in my set only the white has the right texture, the colours tend to be very runny. So I use a lot of white as a base, but can't replace it alone.

Where have you seen these paints, Brian? it looks like Curry's don't have them, and I am not close to any other suppliers.....anyplace online?

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Last edited by LynnM : 12-31-2010 at 05:41 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi Seedy,

Always best to research a product before you buy it.

I tried finding out the contents of the Pebeo Gouache and could only find one site that listed the "studio" gouache as an acrylic. There is a difference. If you go to blicks site and put in some of the gouache brands they will tell you exactly what you are buying. Here is the link to the info about the studio brand http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop-Pebeo...8994_8599.html

If anyone can find out info on their T7 extra fine gouache other than it's rich in organic and mineral pigment....please post if you can answer this. What is it? gouache or arylic gouache-there is a difference.

I have been working with Holbein and love it, also prefer Winsor Newton permanent white and buy that in the larger tubes, because you will use way more white than the other colors. I use more of the blues, yellows and greens.

Thanks for posting!

http://dledmunds.blogspot.com
www.zazzle.com/edmundsdl
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

I've not used them, but their website has some info:
http://en.pebeo.com/Fine-Art/Gouache

Most of their colors are mixes, even the earths.

Edit: I wonder if that Pearl link is wrong about the Studio Gouache. The Pebeo site says "it can be reworked at will" leading me to think it is not acrylic. Pebeo does make a Studio Acrylic line, so maybe Pearl is confused.
My Blog

Last edited by dbclemons : 01-01-2011 at 11:20 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM
A Local Legend
Gatineau Quebec

Hails from Canada

Lynn
I bought the Trichromatic Black and Golden Yellow. I will be doing a WIP shortly in the Studio or the gouache zone.
To be perfectly honest, I have the primary's and a white from W/N and not having much experience with gouache, I can't tell any differences in qualities or application properties....and frankly my dear, " I don't give a damn"....;-)
Deb
After searching the web for hours, I began to doubt what I had seen and went back and checked and sure enough, it was gouache in 220 ml plastic tubes.
They also sell a 6x 150 tube set
I see that CJ's carries the full line and the price difference is very little compared to "up here" They supply no info and neither does Pebeo.
As I said above^, I can't tell the difference when applying the stuff since I'm just a "newbie" to gouache.
You sure are right when you say "way more white" than other colours.
I am having fun however.....
Kinda the "long and the short" of it...little guy is 14ml.....

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Great that you are enjoying it, Brian, so am I! Maybe I'll try CJ then, it's the shipping that gets you.

Deb, I think Pearl must be wrong about the acrylic, or else there's another line. Looks like the T7 line would be worth investigaing.

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Last edited by LynnM : 01-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
A Local Legend
Gatineau Quebec

Hails from Canada

Lynn
Why not have a go at the same thing, but in the 20ml size....Currys?
Its the price that gets me....CDN $ for the big ones....
From Pebeo...thanks David.
Colours: Concentrated, vivid and lightfast, matt and opaque. The colours have been studied so as to minimize whitening when drying and remain consistent to the shade.
Cleaning the brushes: Water.
Surfaces: Paper, Bristol, cardboard.
Drying: Within hours according to the dilution and paper weight.
Product Usage:
Studio Gouache colours are vivid and intense, with a perfectly even flat wash. The range of Studio Gouache contains a true trichromatic black and a balanced primary system that allows for obtaining mixed shades with particularly low gray rates. Studio Gouache is ideal for making models, studies, decors and illustrations.

Last edited by seedy : 01-01-2011 at 12:21 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Probably that's what I'll end up with, it is certainly very reasonable in price. But Curry's doesn't have it, so will have to order from somewhere. Above Ground seems to have more choice, perhaps will have to venture into Toronto

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2011, 03:18 PM

I checked up on these a few years ago with the French company that makes them. Maybe things have changed, but at that time, reds and oranges and purples were not lightfast, so they said.

They also seem a bit sticky to me. BUT I think it could save money to get white to mix with other brands.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Mt Nebo Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

Brian, I've used Pebeo white gouache. It is definitely not acrylic. It will lift when rewet just as easily as other gouache.

It is thick and has good opacity. It doesn't "diffuse" as easily as the Art Spectrum and Lukas colours that I otherwise use.

You do gets lots in those big tubes!
My Flickr Site
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada

Pebeo Studio Gouache in 100ml is available now at Curry's for $9.29 CDN. I was just going to ask if anyone knows about its quality, when I found this thread.

From the product descriptions on the Pebeo website:
http://en.pebeo.com/Fine-Art/Gouache/Studio-Gouache
it looks like the Studio Gouache is for students. The T7 Extra Fine Gouache is the artist grade and comes only in small tubes.

I'm thinking of getting into painting and gouache looks like the medium for me, but the price of those little tubes from most brands makes it prohibitive. I'm still undecided.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Goes, the Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I am currently working with Pebeo T7 Extra Fine gouache and I L♥VE it!

The colour is soooo smooth and so concentrated. And, although very unimportant, it smells delicious! Seriously.

I am working with Talens gouache extra fine and Winsor and Newton designer's gouache, but thus far I prefer the pebeo for its intensity. The Winsor and Newton colours I have seem to be more opaque, but that probably depends on the colours I have as well, for I only have three...linden, flesh and zinc white...they all contain a lot of white, I'm guessing.

I cannot buy the T7 in the Netherlands here, though, so I'm about to embark on a discovery of Horadam gouache and Bourgeois and Lefranc's Linel extra fine. Really curious how they will be!