WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:09 PM
Little Rock

Hails from United States
Peaceful Christmas

28"x22" on canvas. Would appreciate C&C as I come down the home stretch. Thanks, Patrick
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Re: Peaceful Christmas

That is way cool beans! Great job.

The woman's foot seems to be disconnected from the scene with no shadow beneath it on the rug. But what I'm not seeing might be due to the photo or some technical issue between WC and my monitor.

Other than that it is fantastic.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 PM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

Talking about that foot; there's a shadow going completely across the instep that seems to be making 3/4 of the foot get lost and seem unrelated to the toes. The fact that the back of the foot is a low value doesn't seem to help.

The same problem, if you want to call it that, exists with the shadow of that basket shaped thing by the fire place meeting the dark gray on the cat's back. Should that basket thing even be casting a shadow in that direction?

If that nitpicking isn't enough, the floor behind the cat is indistinguishable from the base of the fireplace, to me. Where does the flat floor end and the vertical base of the fireplace begin? Behind the chair there seems to be a color distinction between the two, so I can tell where one ends and the other starts.

Lastly, there seems to be a depth problem with the firebox (?) of the fireplace, where the wood burns. The wall on the right of the firebox, inside the fireplace, seems almost flat and even with the front of the fireplace. Maybe if the fire light was lighter in the front of the firebox, and dimmer and muddier in the back. The motor line of the bricks could be sharper in the front than the back to show depth as well.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 04:18 AM

I must say that there are some very lovely sections in this painting that look extremely beautiful and inviting. The red dress is very well rendered and red color is a nice rich shade of red. The scene itself is quite inviting. Is this from your imagination or did you copy it from something else? The style of the face and hair remind me of Botticelli. The comments on distinguishing between background and foreground are good comments and if you concentrate on that aspect of your painting, it will enhance the painting even more.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Cat looks a lot like a racoon or the racoon looks a lot like a cat.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

Looks like a cat to me.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

There's a perspective problem with the whole right side of the fireplace. The right side almost seems to be curving away. The face of the fireplace is darker on the right, seeming to indicate that it's curving away. Maybe that's just how the photo of the painting came out? The right side wall of the firebox seems be be longer than it would be if we were seeing the fireplace head on, so that also makes the fireplace seem to be curving away on the right side.

Overall, this is a really very good Christmas themed painting! I get a calming feeling from it. The girl almost comes across as a religious icon, almost angelic. Very nice!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Little Rock

Hails from United States

Very kind comments and much appreciated. This is my daughter-in-law I had pose for me last Christmas. The cat/racoon came and laid there afterwards so it's a composite of a few photos.

Will work on the right-side of the fireplace as well as the shadows. I was already planning to lighten the shawl a bit and do some fine tuning of the stockings. Thanks all!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Is it that time of year already! Lovely painting, only thing I see with cat is maybe the eyes are too close together. Or maybe that's my eyes!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

Take a look at Vermeer's paintings. He works out linear perspective perfectly before even picking up a brush. In fact, he used to stick a pin in the canvas and line up all the converging lines of perspective using that point. The pin holes are still there.

He was also one of the greatest masters of Light and Shadow. Look at his shadows and see how they are in agreement with the light source they're associated with.

Last edited by Tony11214 : 10-22-2019 at 11:41 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Shadows and shadowing could be tweaked in the whole scene..a little more contrast perhaps ?
Consider blued toned shadows? Instead of sooty grays??

Figure has such strong color, but the rest of the scene seems almost washed out. If colors/contrast could be a bit closer in relationship?

A few other thoughts.. edges - hard & soft - hard draws attention, soft for distance or less attention..
places on her dress seem hard edged and that makes for a cut out /pasted on feeling..the lower edge is very hard, hard edges grab the eye to it.
Book edges are harder than her hands..
For me the items on the mantle seem to be slightly sharper (edges) in focus than the figure.. the color of figure grabs the eye , but is softer..

I'm assuming her face is the most planned focal area? Use final details to bring it into focus.

Very nice overall, a few adjustments and keeping aware of your focal area will really make it nice..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 10-22-2019 at 12:04 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 PM

A beautiful painting, it's hard to suggest any fixes without you having to touch too much and risk losing the beauty.

The only thing I might suggest is making the shadow of the dress above the foot lighter to reduce the contrast. It doesn't make sense to suggest that as the ideal fix is to address all shadows, but my aim would be to not draw as much attention to the area while avoiding further fixes. You can try it in photoshop to see if you would like the result.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

I like the style of this painting very much. Very serene..