Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges July 2018 Oil Pastel Challenge and Chat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    SarahY

Hello oil pastelists and welcome to the July oil pastel challenge and chat thread!

Feel free to post WIPs or ask for feedback. Work must be completed in oil pastel, but you’re welcome to post preliminary sketches etc as you go.

When posting please tell us the size, support, and brands of oil pastels used!

Photos:

More photos coming in the next post…

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

SarahY

(all photos posted are mine and you’re free to use them as you wish)

Oil Pastel Challenge Inspiration Quote:
            “Not all who wander are lost” – Tolkien

Oil Pastel Abstract Inspiration Word:
            “Softly”

That’s it guys, pick up those pastels and GO GO GO! :clap:

SnapV

Wonderful photos Sarah thank you!

And the little cockatiel is the spitting image of my little Cookie I had when I was 7 and kept with me when I moved out. He was a nice little buddy ☺️

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

Beautiful photos, Sarah! Thanks for hosting! Looking forward to seeing the art from everyone.

Christel

terriks

Thanks so much, Sarah – great variety of photos here!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

SnapV

Well I guess I’m going to start the ball! :)

Here is the dog portrait in CD Neopastel, Sennelier and Mungyo on black Richeson’s Premium Pastel Surface 9 x 12″. I hope you like it I had a lot of fun doing it!

Edit: Just realized I had completely forgotten about the challenge words :lol: Sorry I might not have done this “softly” at all :P

Virginie

SarahY

SnapV, your painting of Lily is fantastic! :clap: Absolutely love the bold strokes of impasto colour, well done!

Edit: Just realized I had completely forgotten about the challenge words :lol: Sorry I might not have done this “softly” at all :P

The challenge words are only inspirations for imaginary or abstract works, so don’t worry! :thumbsup:

laika

I love the doggie portrait, Virginie! Very well done!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                                - Otto Rank

Virginie – love your portrait of Lily!

Christel

terriks

Great job, Virginie! Fantastic colors here, and lots of character!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

SnapV

Thank you Sarah, Lamar, Christel and Terri! :)

Virginie

The horse , A4. An interesting perspective of the horse.

Christel

terriks

Great job on this, Christel. It is a fun perspective, brought about by the camera’s lens that causes slight distortion from front to rear, usually from a wide angle lens. They’re fun!

I like your palette and definitely your treatment of the pasture. Love it!

Terri

terriks

Here is my take on the sunset photo. This is on 9×12″ Arches Oil paper. I used more Senns than I typically do, with an underpainting of Cray-Pas and first few layers of Mungyos.

The bottom left of this is coming off very gray – that’s reflected light on the Sennelier black, from a window behind me – go figure! The painting is actually solid black along the bottom.

Terri

Thanks Terri!
                                                Great painting. Adding orange over blue is difficult as it can muddy so easily. You pulled it off really well.

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.