WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Copyright law for murals

An artist was fired for not working on a mural he started for 7 months and the people who hired him couldn't reach him. When he showed back up they fired him. I'm in negotiations to replace him. Can I complete his mural without legal problems for the restaurant or for me?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland
Re: Copyright law for murals

No. You will need to start again from scratch, otherwise you will be altering another artists work and could end up being sued. I'd also ask to see the original contract to be sure that painting over the other work can be done. Some artists have a clause in their contracts that ensure the only people able to do repairs and touch-ups are they themselves.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks. That's what I suspected.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Wyoming

Hails from Canada

There is something else to check out.

Who designed the mural and how was the original contract worded. The country of this work is also important. You need to know if this was work for hire or the artist was providing a piece of art. Each country has their own laws on this.

For example, an artist working for Disney painting a mural for them as an employee has no legal copyright to the mural. The contract is the key. If this artist was working by the hour painting at the direction of the owners, copyright may not be held by the artist.