Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Custom airbrush job on my guitar…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    EricTViking

Hello folks,

I usually paint in oils but I’ve recently been working on customising my guitar with some airbrushed art. It looks pretty quiet in here so I thought I’d post a picture of my WIP in case anyone passes by…

Paper masks / freehand using Createx Illustration paints with a bit of Createx 4030 clear binder for strength.

jonc50

Very nice work!

fedetony

wow that looks great… is that a jackson? What will you use for the lack/ end protection?
                Createx illustration isn’t just for paper surfaces?? be aware of the adhesion of it… :)

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

EricTViking

Thanks fedetony :)

Close, it’s a Charvel Avenger made in about 1991.

I’ve ordered some Createx Scenix SSR Gloss for the final clear coat, looks like it’s safe to spray at home as it’s basically water based but is supposed to be industrial strength so should hold a decent gloss. They also reckon you can brush or roller it in the data sheet, but I’ll spray it to prevent the risk of disturbing the art.

I mix the Createx illustration with a bit of 4030 Intercoat Clear (clear binder) to give it a bit of strength and adhesion.

fedetony

Check the correct finish for it, it can affect the sound!
                        there are the following:
                        NITROCELLULOSE finish high gloss paint especially developed for guitar. Available in GLOSS or MATT, or CANNED SPRAY.

Get merge layer by layer of varnish hands with guitar, leaving the wood transpire without interfering or modifying the sound reproduced by the body of the guitar, getting a pure vibration. Nitrocellulose with great elasticity, anti-crazing, mirror effect. Very easy application, repair and maintenance.

Two component POLYURETHANE finish, excellent body, hardness and elasticity. Colorless or white, gloss or matt

These properties together with its high transparency give a sense of depth of the film in the unsurpassed guitar nitrocellulose, shellac or water based. And with fewer layers of product we get more feeling of brightness and body. The high impact resistance and scratch resistance of polyurethane varnish provides maximum protection, security and durability to the guitar with the passage of time.

WATER-BASED finish to paint guitars. CLEAR MATE or BRIGHT, WHITE or BLACK has the ability to be more wood lacquer leaves perspire for a unique sound on guitar. Get honed natural effect of easy, clean and easy. No evaporated solvents, environmentally friendly, and can be applied in garages, storage rooms and homes without disturbing the neighbors

polyurethane transparent gloss… I think that is what e-guitar manufacturer’s use commonly for their finish coats for their final coats.

check this video too…
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP3dx8a-iDA

Federico Garcia
                        My Blog
                        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

EricTViking

fedetony thanks for the info. Cellulose lacquer is a no-go because it would literally dissolve the artwork. Needs to be a non-reactive clear coat.

The clear would probably have an effect on the tone of an acoustic instrument (hollow body), but this is a solid body electric used in a high gain environment so the choice of clear coat won’t affect the final tone.

BeLing

WOW!

That’s a guitar?! Ha ha! You really could mount it on the wall as a “shaped painting.” Thanks for sharing!

EricTViking

Haha, as it happens it will live on my wall when finished. Here’s a picture of it before the art was started along with some others in my collection.

bronzeo

Very nice work, I have done similar work in automotive paints, but the chems eventually got to me and I needed to give it up. I could not do comparable work with waterbased paints at the time so I have lain off for a good deal of time… I now see work like this created in waterbase, and am hoping to start back up. I developed quite a nerve condition for a few months from working so close with the lacquer based solvents and hardeners.

EricTViking

Thanks Bronzeo.

I started airbrushing in 1991 and back then automotive was all about lacquer based paints which also put me off doing it. Getting back into it over the past few years I realised how far things had advanced with water based paint systems and a lot of people now use them for automotive stuff.

Currently I’m using Createx water based paints – which are great (apart from their Candy2o which bit me a while ago, but that’s another story).

For a clear coat I’m using Createx Scenix SSR Gloss. This is a 2 part water based clear coat and it goes down very tough – it’s rated for industrial applications. I had no problem spraying this at home with a decent mask and it’s almost odourless. They reckon it doesn’t give you quite as glossy a finish as proper automotive isocyanate based 2k gloss, but you can still get a really nice shine on it and it’ll be great for the guitar which is indoors only. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0OcTU_WGjM

bronzeo

Thanks so much for this info… it should save me a lot of time and money going forward. The recent advances shown in the video set me back a bit.

bronzeo

Might I suggest a FaceBook airbrush group for you to join…. it is fairly active with some pretty good work and info…..
                                                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/511256672578698/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.