WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Colour palette for sand

Can someone please simplify my colour palette for mixing a wide array of sands. My paintings are very colourful so my sands can range from near white, yellow,orange,reds,violets etc and i am in a mess with my colours chasing it so i have used white, naples yellow, yellow ochre, warm/cool yellows, orange,warm/cool reds, blues,violets, burnt sienna, Burnt umber and probably more lol

Out if the colours i have said above can you simplify which colours to use to catch all the colours i need as i am over complicating things and confusing the life out of myself even though i am mixing the right colours i am trying to get. Cheers
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Colour palette for sand

CMYK palette. Mars Black, Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, Quinacridone red rose PV19, Prussian Blue. You can also add Gold Ochre as an earth color to improve minimal color palette.

Last edited by Gigalot : 03-17-2019 at 11:59 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States

For sand I usually mix yellow ochre, white and burnt umber. Sometimes, just yellow ochre and white. Since you like colorful sand you can add a little of whatever you like.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 PM

Could i get naples yellow by mixing yellow ochre with white and maybe a little red?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlifeu
Could i get naples yellow by mixing yellow ochre with white and maybe a little red?
Might be better to mix White, Yellow Ochre, and a tiny touch of some other color that is "more yellow" than Yellow Ochre. Depends on what colors you have. Could be Cadmium Yellow, Hansa Yellow, or something similar.

But different paint manufacturers have their own concept of what "Naples Yellow Hue" ought to look like. Don't obsess about it.

I advise you to get hold of some actual sand at the colors you need, then mix paint to reasonably match. You may be surprised at what works and what doesn't work. Digital images of sand (downloaded from the Internet) are likely to be more colorful than actual physical sand. Given that your handle is "beachlifeu" I expect that actual sand is in your vicinity.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlifeu
Yellow Ochre + Cadmium Orange + White. From triade colors - Yellow+Magenta+White.

Last edited by Gigalot : 03-20-2019 at 03:33 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 AM

There is no correct answer here but consider limiting your palette to the most chromatic and true colors and grey them down from there. You should be able to reach almost any color you desire with just 3 primaries as long as they are as close to true spectrum colors.

You can always get to the color you want if you have say Cadmium Yellow Light, Cobalt Blue, and Cadmium Red but you can NEVER get to your more chromatic colors if you only have Yellow Ochre, Viridian, and Indian Red.

Does this make sense? Start chromatic and grey down from there.

Just my two cents!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Might be nice if the OP responded with feedback.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:16 PM

Could be black sand as found in Hawaii.