WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Exclamation The curve call that is PR209

I recently receive a PR209 from holbein thanks to a mix up..

It's a very pale warm red more like a warm pink which make a really awesome bright pink...

since it's a warm red, it make a bright orange, however I also discover that it also capable of making a bright purple, it's even better than PV19 that I has...

the only downside is, since it's a pale red, it has to be mix with a warm yellow or a cool red to actually produce an actual red....

this make me wonder, is there a similar pigment for yellow and blue? if there is, this would mean, I would able to cut down my color down to 3... which would save me a lot of money when I finally move to artiest grade paint..

So does anyone here know any blue and yellow paint that is like PR209 aka Quin Red \ Scarlet?

Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2019, 10:45 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: The curve call that is PR209

Bookmark this site: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html

sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I'm guessing you are referring to Holbein Quinacridone Scarlet - used to be called Cherry Red.

It is known as Quinacridone Coral in Daniel Smith, Quin Red in Blockx, the new Maimeri Blu, Sennelier, Daler Rowney, W&N, Turner and Da Vinci; Quin Light Red in QoR; Permanent Red in PWC; Coral Red in American Journey; Cherry Quinacridone in Roman Szmal; Tiziano Red in the old Maimeri Blu; Quin Red Light in Schmincke; Cherry red in Mission Gold; Red Lake in Old Holland.

It can certainly be used as a primary red as it will mix cleanly with yellows and blues but not, I think, as cleanly as Quin Rose (PV19) or Quin Magenta (PR122). However, give it a go in a primary triad or a lemon or mid yellow and phthalo blue either red shade or green shade as you prefer.

My Website
My Blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinacridone Gold
It can certainly be used as a primary red as it will mix cleanly with yellows and blues but not, I think, as cleanly as Quin Rose (PV19) or Quin Magenta (PR122). However, give it a go in a primary triad or a lemon or mid yellow and phthalo blue either red shade or green shade as you prefer.

I post this on my other topic, I dont know, it seems like PR209 beat PV19 when come to making purple XD

I dont have PR122, so I cant compare with that..

PV19 is the middle and PR209 is the last color.

However, I am using Winsor and Newton Cotman Permanent Rose (PV19) while I'm using Holbein Quin Scarlet (PR209).. so it's a student grade paint vs an artiest grade paint... maybe thats why PR209 is beating PV19 when come to purple..
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 PM
Bacolod City, Philippines

Hails from Philippines

PV19 should make a more saturated purple than PR209 as it is closer to that color. Since you mentioned that your PV19 is Cotman, that may be the reason that it is more muted, less pigment in the student grade paint. I have both paints in WN artist grade and I prefer PV19. Stronger than PR209 and it makes bright oranges and purples too.