WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Canada

Re: The noob questions

Like someone else said, my family has been telling me that I am an artist since before kindergarten. After elementary school started, my teachers and friends began telling me that's what I was too. At around the age of 11, my friends started asking me about how to draw, so I taught them what I knew. I've been associated with this word by those around me my whole life.. and as a result, I have always identified myself with it. I'm surprised to hear some people feel this is some sort of honorary title, to be earned. It's just a word, if calling yourself an artist makes you feel good, do it!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

In regards to the second question I say I'm an artist.

I'm aware that this does sound a bit pretentious, but I've found that the leap to taking myself more seriously has helped me 'brand' myself a lot better than when I said I'm a painter. Also I come from a traditionally working class area in the UK. It used to be a mining town and there are a lot of salt-of-the-earth types here. When I said I was a painter, most people assumed that I meant I paint houses because most of the jobs here are manual labour. Saying 'I'm an artist' sometimes draws cold looks, or it sometimes gets respect because it's different, but at least I'm assigning myself a position.

It is also a lot more useful on the internet. Now that I'm officially an artist simply by virtue of saying I am, I've been placed in to a lot of categories on various sites and on a lot of mailing list type things. I think as soon as you label yourself, there are a lot of communities that are waiting for you to show up and be a part of them.

While I think that doing art, and being an artist, are vague and contentious in the real world, there's a lot to be said about 'being an artist' as a way of getting yourself heard.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Cool Re: The noob questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frujin

1. What is art and what not? When it comes to paintings - is there ANY definition really?
2. Who is artist and who is not? When you guys say "I am an artist" .. what gives you the confidence to say it? The qualities of your works? The fact that you managed to sell something? What it is?

This is sort of the eternal question, of course. What is and isn't art depends on who you ask. Everyone has a different idea of beauty and thus, what does and does not qualify as art. I'm an abstract artist, for example, but some people really don't care for abstract art, even going as far as to say that it isn't truly art. I, obviously disagree. But it shows the wide range of opinions out there.

Who is an artist. Well you have to decide first what's really being asked. Is the question "who is a professional artist?" Maybe it's "who considers themselves an artist?" It really depends again. Some such as myself do it professionally, while others do it as a hobby and have no intention of doing it as a career. I'd consider us to both be artists, we just have different end goals probably.

For me, I began to feel comfortable calling myself an artist when I found my own, personal artistic style. A style that I loved the process of painting and I felt was a true and accurate statement of "me". Others may have another answer.

As for me, I'd consider someone a professional artist if they are selling their work. There are alot of artists out there selling that are, in fact, professional artists, whose work I don't care for. But someone does, so regardless of my personal thoughts and feelings, they are making their profession as an artist.

Hope this helps!
Candace
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 AM
North of the US/Mexico border

Hails from United States

I paint as a hobby. I also play guitar and piano as a hobby. The day I take it more seriously than a hobby (to the next level if you will) I will call myself an artist. Do I have artistic ability? Absolutely. Do I feel it confers the title artist? Not really. I look at the title artist like any other career title. A cop is a cop. A doctor a doctor. A carpenter is a carpenter and an athlete is an athlete. An artist is someone who creates art as a primary focus of their activity (extracurricular I guess you could say). Of course, much like the art world, this is my opinion.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by frujin
Any chance I change my nick name here? Admins?
Send me a private message with the details and I'll see what I can do.

Doug
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2012, 03:20 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Back to the subject - IMHO art is not what Tracy Ermin does

Doug