WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#451   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

David - that is an excellent observation. You have picked up on something that many would miss.

The thick stroke of the 'v' is just slightly steeper than 45 degrees - the nib is still held at 45 degrees though. This causes the slide up at the bottom to appear to be steeper since it will go up at the nib angle of 45 degrees. If you make the first down-stroke of the 'v' at 45 degrees, it will be hard to balance. Make that stroke a bit steeper and everything falls into place nicely.

Does that make sense?

-Salman

My Blog
  #452   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Central California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman.khattak
David - that is an excellent observation. You have picked up on something that many would miss.

The thick stroke of the 'v' is just slightly steeper than 45 degrees - the nib is still held at 45 degrees though. This causes the slide up at the bottom to appear to be steeper since it will go up at the nib angle of 45 degrees. If you make the first down-stroke of the 'v' at 45 degrees, it will be hard to balance. Make that stroke a bit steeper and everything falls into place nicely.

Does that make sense?

-Salman

Whew! It makes perfect sense. I had figured a more complicated way of achieving almost the same effect, but simplicity is nice, when you can get it.

Thanks.

David
  #453   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Central California

Hails from United States

Here are a couple images from today's practice:

The Z is the problem letter here, I think.

Our last exchange resulted in v's and w's and y's gaining better balance.

The slopes of the vertical strokes in n and r have required a lot of work. Believe me, they are improved. The second vertical stroke in n kept wanting to lean to the left and be too curvy until I mentally isolated it and understood its shape. It's an i.

Looking at Geoff's exemplar, I thought the letters were heavier than mine, so I wrote this phrase again with a slightly wider nib and the same x-height.

Again, the z is the biggest problem. It's too wide. And the a's are bottom-heavy. They need to suck in their gut! I think this is a nib angle issue again.

Any other observations or suggestions will be appreciated.

David
  #454   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

David - the 'w' is much improved indeed. They are nicely balanced in both examples. The 'x' in the first example is better than the second one because there is a better 'c' in it.

Both your 'n's have a Italic-like loop at the top - it needs to make a pointed Gothic arch.

You are right about the 'i' strokes in 'r' and 'n'. However the second stroke of the 'n's is too close - the counter needs to be a bit broader. The same applies to the second stroke of the 'r' - start it as if you are writing an 'n' and stop short.

The nib manipulation in the diagonal stroke of the 'z' takes some doing to get right. Groups of 5 exercises will help here. You can also spend some time just practicing the diagonal stroke alone.

Do your practice at 4.5 nib widths. I know Geoff's examples look thicker but its best that we stick to the standard.

I owe you an apology for describing the bullhorns incorrectly. I don't know why I said it the way I did but that will cause your counter shape to become too wide for the 'a' and mess up the balance of the 'e' and the 'c'. I am sorry for that lapse.

The correct way to make the first bullhorn stroke is to make the bottom point be under the top point - simple. A short flat stroke on the top will result in the proper 'shield' shaped counter for the 'a'. The other letters based on this stroke will also work well.

Your pen angle is much improved in the first example above.

BTW - feel free to use the letters in the first exercise in your practice so you keep in practice with these.

S.

My Blog
  #455   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Central California

Hails from United States

Salman,

Thanks for your comments!

Re. n's: I had been making them too wide. My effort to compress them over-shot. I'll work on this.

Re. Bullhorns: I have recognized that they were too "fat" and have been trying to correct this in my practice. Thanks for clarifying this.

Re. z's: Yes. This just needs practice. I'll let you know if the "manipulation" needs clarification beyond Geoff's instruction in #155.

I have been writing words using letters from the first lesson, but I've not posted them.

David
  #456   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Central California

Hails from United States

Practice, practice, practice ...

Hmmm .... The first stroke of the z is too wide. The n in ruin is too wide due to the second vertical leaning to the left. The v is a bit too large. The top of the c's have too steep an angle. The best c is the one in the x, I think ... except for the hairline.

I think the letters with bullhorns are generally improved.

David
  #457   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Your observations are good. Plus your old nemesis the pen angle has returned.

The bullhorn letters are definitely improved - look at that 'a' in crazy. I like the 'c' inside the 'x' but the one in 'acorn' isn't too bad if it weren't for the slightly too steep pen angle.

Try sliding up to the waist line in a straight line before starting the curve (rather abruptly) in the last stroke of 'w'. This will shift the weight to the right a bit and makes for a better balance.

It seems to me that you are pressing down on the pen a bit too much. See if taking off all pressure on the nib improves things.

Geoff - any suggestions?

Salman

My Blog