WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art > International Society of Scratchboard Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States
Do We Need a Simple Interim Web Site?

I saw in the Seed Fund thread that a couple of domains have been reserved.

If you'd like, I can set up a really simple web page as a placeholder using Wordpress.com which is free. The domains that have been reserved can be set to automatically forward to the WP site.

A full-on web site is a much bigger proposition/project and the details for that will need to be sorted out later.

I'm not necessarily volunteering to be the official ISSA web-mistress, but I don't mind setting up an interim one-page site that has contact info and some other basic info if everyone thinks we should have one.

I'm still learning my way around WP, but here's a test site I put together. http://annran.wordpress.com

I'm much more familiar with html, but I'm trying to learn WP because it seems to be "what all the kids are using" these days. My "old school" web site is www.annran.com - which I designed and maintain.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Do We Need a Simple Interim Web Site?

Ann...thank you so much for offering, it's very kind of you. We have many things on the go that need attending to, before decisions can be made regarding the website.

I'm interested in knowing what you might have had in mind to put on it at this time?

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Hmmmm, not much, since I know the launch is still a ways off. Just contact info (an e-mail) and maybe basic info about the group? Perhaps a link to the WC scratchboard forum?

I don't really know, it was just a thought I had . . . if anyone else thought it might be helpful.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

It's a good idea and I thank you for thinking of it but it might be just a bit premature. I just think we need a Board in place to make these decisions so we better hold off for right now.

...I just checked out your profile and you post an average of over 2 million posts per day! That's hilarious!

Lorna Hannett.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

No problem. Just let me know if/when you'd like me to do anything in that regard.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. I've made over 4 billion posts! I don't think that's even humanly possible. I did report the glitch in one of the WC "bugs" forums.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Breckenridge, TX

Hails from United States

We can put a PayPal button in a WordPress site.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Nice one Ann

I'd like Cristina's input on website as she mentioned it earlier. I've used Facebook to direct her to this thread, so hopefully she'll pop in soon.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Sherman Oaks, CA

Hails from United States

I can gladly lend my services for website design, however I don't do website coding/programming. I've done it for my own site and my boyfriend's but it is quite time consuming and a bit nerve wracking as I don't specialize in programming. If there is anyone here who is skilled with HTML, CSS, etc, great! I can create a design for the site in Photoshop and pass on the file(s) associated with it to whomever wants to step up to the plate and program it.

Otherwise, I'm totally up for designing something! I'd just need details such as the desired color scheme, style, etc and I can begin to toss out ideas for everyone. Also, we should start thinking about a logo as well. That will be present on the website, business cards, letter head, etc so it's definitely high on the 'to do' list since it's the identifying mark for ISSA.

Let me know what your thoughts are!

EDIT: Examples of what I've designed/worked on would be:

www.samanmedia.com - my boyfriend's website. The design is about 3 years old and we plan to tweak it some, but for now it works

www.wild-visions.com - my personal site. Since I'm not too fond of crazy coding, I went with a very simple html site so that I won't froth at the mouth every time I have to update it!

Last edited by WildVisions : 03-17-2011 at 08:01 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

I've always liked your site Cristina.

A suggestion could be that Rod does one of his lettering designs for ISSA if he's willing. It would have to be classy rather than nutty I think and would need a bit of to and fro to get the design right but would show scratchboard at it's best right there in the logo. Of course, we'd love other ideas too.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

I really appreciate eveyone's enthusiasm but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We need to concentrate on the nominations and elections of a board because they are going to all have to approve everything anyway! And then find someone who wants to and can build a website.

Having said that...It would be great to see what you think up Cristina, I really like your site, too. Speaking personally, I'd love to see ideas from anyone and everyone. Maybe we could even have a logo contest....but down the road a wee bit.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I agree with Lorna that we should wait a bit. I've been to websites where it is just an interim page... If it stays that way for too long I end up getting tired of waiting for something new to show up and stop visiting the website altogether. Let's wait until there's some viable content for people to look at.

Emily Harju Illustration & Design
"Engraving is, in brief terms, the Art of Scratch" - John Ruskin
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I agree, too. For the moment, this forum can do a lot for uniting us for planning and, then when all is sorted out, a website can be launched that will look great and have a lot of information, which wouldn't be the case now.

Diane
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Springfield, Il USA

Bumping this up. It looks like ISSA needs a Website Manager position filled. Any folks interested?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM

I know this thread is a little on hold due to being a tad early on what website domain to use...but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I use weebly.com for my website and love it. It has a really simple interface and doesn't require confusing html..well...confusing to me.

If something like weebly was used that doesn't require really high tech web skills I'd be happy to help manage it
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

I've closed the topics in this forum that have been dealt with. The interim board will be having meetings and ironing out incorporation / membership issues and we'll use this forum to provide feedback on an ongoing basis until it's all completed (which will be a few weeks to months away).

Thanks for all your input