WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#811   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Topeka, Kansas

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Hi, All, I suppose as this is my first post I should probably introduce myself. My name is Verla and I am one of Donna's pan p students from her March 1st workshop. I thoroughly enjoy the pan p's and am hoping to finish up my eye that Donna gave you a preview of in an earlier post. Having many interests, it is challenging to come up with time to devote to any one of them. I am an avid reader, photographer, artist, medievalist, computer geek and martial arts student. I am a member of the local computer club, camera club, and MidAmericaPastelSociety, as well as the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), and a student of TaeKwonDo Grand Master Chae Sun Yi. I suppose pastel art takes a backseat to everything else, but that is mostly due to apartment living where there is too much stuff for too little space. Not a real excuse, I know, and I am hoping the pan p's will be easier to use in a smaller space. I also enjoy colored pencil as well as pen and ink. I work for a yearbook publisher in the art department so spend all day on the computer. I also tend to spend most evenings there as well. Photography is my hobby, and I take pictures of almost everything I do--computer club meetings, camera club meetings, SCA events, MAPS meetings, TaeKwonDo testings and tournaments, and usually have my camera wherever I am. But the photos I take provide the basis for most of my drawings and paintings. I have been a horselover since childhood, though do not presently have any. The eye belongs to the Arabian gelding that my best friend owns. Several of her horses have provided me ample subject matter for many of my paintings. You can find some SCA examples of my photography at the Calontir website. At the present time that is the only presence on-line that I have for any of my "art". I am trying to teach my self website building. I use Photoshop at work, and have it at home as well, and lead a digital imaging special interest group for the computer club. I see that it is 9:30 and 5 AM comes very early so I shall conclude this post for now but look forward to more.
  #812   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Welcome to WC Verla. It is nice to see one of Donna's students here. You are one busy person. I got tired just reading about your many interests. I really liked your eye painting. I told Donna that you just nailed the reflection. I hope you find more time to do some pan paintings and post them here for us to look at. This is a very fun group and we are all learning from Donna and each other. Again, welcome to WC.

Doug
  #813   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Hi, Verla!!! I'm sooo glad that you have joined us!!! I knew you were an active busy person, but---girl---HOW do you do it all! Wow! :-) Looking forward to whatever final touches you do with that gorgeous painting of the horse's eye! It's just marvelous!

Hi, WC and Randi-Lee! Good to hear from you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willemke
Hi Donna , So glad to hear you are feeling much better. That must of been one aweful flu, glad you are on the mend I'm sure your kitties are very happy to have you back as well . I also have one of those "bowling balls". Mine is black and white and weighs about 30 lbs. I can't even lift her anymore, need help from my hubby when trying to cut nails and groom her. When I am downstairs in my TV room, and she jumps off the bed upstairs, sounds like a heard of elephants crashing through the floor, I'm surprised she can still climb on the bed
Ahhhh---Willemke---30 lbs. Goodness. I know Cassie was (WAS) on her way there---but the little darling is beginning to waddle and I observed that she was no longer able to jump up to her favorite shelf to gaze out the high bedroom window this last week---so that did it! She LOVES it up there and considered and considered the jump---several times, then gave up. This will be rougher than if I had to put myself on a diet. I can understand the impact that your 'little' baby must be able to make. Awwwww! Now---I'm going to upload PanP paintings for you all! Take good care! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #814   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Donna putting one cat in a multi cat household on a diet is more than just a "challange", it is darn near impossible! I once had a vet tell me he gave up telling clients with overweight cats that live with underweight cats to put the "fulffy one" on a diet because he didn't know how to make it successful for all of them. Cassie will just go steal Jezzie's food, and we both know Jezzie is just such a little girl already how will she hold off the Bowling Ball?! You're gonna need some creative food dish protection at your house! I have 2 "overly fuffy", one normal, and one slightly underweight cats and they all get along so we don't have seperate feeding rooms at this house. Recently we cut back the food ration by 1 cup of food a day, and so far the two lower weight cats don't seem to be suffering, but we'll see in a month when the other two step on a scale.

Ok - Verla so glad to see you on WC. I sure didn't know you were so busy when I met you at Donna's. Your schedule makes my head spin! Your horse's eys is so awesome, and I look forward to seeing the finished piece as well as others.

So good to have you Donna back.

Peggy
  #815   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Hi, everyone! Now for some lovely paintings!!! I took these photos today in class. First several stages of Fani's newest Pan Pastel painting, which I've mentioned before. She's painting this from a photo taken by one of her son's who is a doctor here in the USA but who sometimes volunteers at a children's hospital in South Africa. We are all just loving what she is doing. Very dynamic and exciting! This is painted on Colourfix Soft Umber 28"x40". These photos just don't begin to do justice to the look and feel of the painting as you stand before it. It's so much richer even while many of the colors are gently muted. The turquoise railing is a wonderful collection of subtle variations in edges as well as color with shifts in value, temperature and intensity, most all within a fairly narrow range and making it visually just so delicious to look at.

Fani is leaving a decision about how to handle the left arm and the right hand of the little boy at the far right edge of the painting until a bit later. In the source photo, the little boy is nearly cut off and Fani is having to make it all up to the right of his face. I think in this case, it makes sense to let this smaller and peripheral detail wait since it does not have a core impact---and she can be inspired by the nearly-finished painting later on. If this had been something central to the painting, waiting would not work.

Susan finished her still life with the Dutch Copper Pitcher today. Susan brought in the pitcher along with all the fruits, so my great thanks to her!!! The actual still life has such an Old World look to it---and I think Susan really captured that feel. Again, real life is so much better, but it does look good here on the monitor, too! I love the way she handled the fabric. It's a heavy lower-intensity old teal drapery that I found at a thrift store---and I love the personality she gave it. The drapery really moves in space from front to back, side to side---and I can feel the light on it and the folds are so visceral. The apples are gently luscious and the plum has such strong, intent-filled strokes that just give such form and structure and subtle good color. The copper works so well. The pitcher really is old and dented with some real life personality and Susan captured that! It feels IN space. And she caught the sense of light with a rather 'antique' mellow lighting. And--yes, she knows she could have used a bit more space at the bottom of the composition.

For those of you who might run into a problem like this---routinely---a good strategy is to tape off a border portion of your painting with white artists tape BEFORE you begin laying on your drawing. Pretend like that tape-covered area does not exist! It's really worked for a lot of artists around here! Once the composition is laid in, you can pull the tape off and paint the entire painting surface. Once in a while, any of us can run into this kind of problem, as Susan has, but for those who do it regularly---and you know who you are---there is that way out of that problem. Great little tip! Use it! It can be a real gift!

Here is the piece that Dorothy did at the PanP workshop. She had to leave a bit early, so I did not get it photoed that day. She began classes with me this week, so this is the second time she and I have worked together. This is a quarter sheet of Colourfix and she managed to do pretty will with such a complicated still life and in fairly limited time with new materials. She has some really lovely areas---and I particularly love the lemon and plums. She has done a really good job of getting variations in her colors. I'm excited to see what she does next!

And here is the next stage in Bev's monumental painting of the large stone statue from the Roman Statue Garden. She's painting this on LaCarte. She's really getting the feel of the lichen-covered, dapple-shaded hugh old stone figure that is several hundred years old and and living in the wilds of the woods of the park. Looking forward to seeing what she will do with it tomorrow! I'll keep you posted!

I'll save Laura Lee's geraniums for tomorrow. I did not get a photo at the end of class today, so will show a series of stages tomorrow. It's very fresh and painterly.

Now, will say good bye for now. Take good care and everyone stay well!!! Donna ;-} I hope this makes sense tonight. I'm sleepy and full of healthcare 'stuff'' and not even sure I dan see any more. Goodness. Well I'll just hit send and see what happens---while I drift away to sleep. More pieces tomorrow! And looking forward to ss

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #816   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Topeka, Kansas

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I don't always realize how busy I am until I stop and jot it all down. Fortunately most of it is once a month like the camera club on the 1st Tuesday, MAPS on the 4th Tuesday, computer club on the 2nd Monday, 2nd Thursday, 3rd Wednesday, and 4th Thursday. TKD takes up the rest of the early evening week nights M-Th. The SCA is a couple of weekends a month. It has just come to me that I am going to have make myself spend a least one evening a month (hopefully more) devoted to painting, just as if it was a regularly scheduled meeting. But whenever possible I do try to fit in workshops like Donna's, it gives me the "excuse" to paint. Well, it's off to work but I'll check on this when I get home. We are working overtime so I go in at 6 until 4:30, but there will be time to check this before I leave for the computer club meeting tonite. Take care, everyone and have a good, as well as productive day. Verla
  #817   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
North Alabama

Hails from United States

Verla - Welcome to WC. I too have learned so much here, and continue to do so. Folks are just plalin wonderful...and we sometimes get funny too.

Donna - I am so happy you are gaining strength every day. We surely did miss you!!! And thanks for sharing these photos. I love the still lifes that Susan and Dorothy are doing...such wonderfully intense colors. Bev's statue painting is really amazing. It looks so big!!! That is a really interesting piece the statue has on her head. And I really love Fani's piece and the way she captured the eagerness of the children. Looking forward to seeing those geraniums also.

Cats - Are we all cat lovers? Hmmm...I wonder if there is some connection between pastellists and cats. I also have two cats, and one (Tigger) is quite a bit larger than the other (Rufus), but he's just a big-boned cat...big bones and lots of fluff. The other cat is a grey cat who is a one-person cat (the person happens to be me). Because of the way Tigger hurls himself into the air to make landings on places you would have thought were "cat proof", I got hubby to put a screen door on the entrance to my studio. That way, they can see me, but they can't paint with me.

Judith
  #818   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Verla, WELCOME to the WC!!!!!! I love horses too, they are the most beautiful animal created, in my opinion! Unfortunatelly I've been a city girl all my life, and of course I dont have any horses... for me to ride a horse is a rare and wonderful event, that happens maybe, once a year....Your photography and your painting is beautiful. and you have such an interesting life!!!! You're so lucky!!!!

Donna, I can't thank you enough for coming back, and in full force!!!
The paintings you are showing us are gorgeous, and so inspirational!!!
The one at the Children's Hospital is such a MEGA-work, I can only imagine how it would be to work that size and such a complicated subject matter! It's going to be stunning!!!!

I, on the other hand, had not painted anything this week , I am getting stressed out about getting married, changing name, address, documents, everything.... I come to WC to browse and relax, and you people are so wonderful at taking me away from my stuff my sweetie thinks that I am addicted to " that site of yours" maybe he's right
  #819   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Judith, Yes, there must be a connection between cats and pastelists!!!! and also between pastelists, cats, and dogs!! Ok, I'll extend it to horses, and all other unmentioned pets!

When I go to heaven ( or sooner, if I win the lottery), I want to have there a thousand cats and doggies, one of each FULL SET of pastels ever created, and all the White lenses that Canon makes!

so far I only have a doggie, as my sweet dear kitty ( the one in my avatar) passed away last year because a car hit her I am still recovering from her loss, but my hubby really wants to get my another kitty... not sure if I am ready yet...
  #820   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Hi Verla nice to have you here and that is a great picture. I so miss my horses and it has been more than 20 years, I miss my dogs and that has been 12 years.

Donna--great pictures they are doing and glad you are feeling so much better. I think everyone has a 20-30 lb Thor-like cat. Thor is one of those big, long heavy cats. I can't even pick him up. Athena, the princess is different she would be like your Jezzie.
Adiro-- I know what it is like to suffer the loss of a dear friend. I never let mine out and still when my friends died I still think about them all the time. Someday I will do pictures of them all.

Randi-Lee
  #821   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
North Alabama

Hails from United States

This painting is taken from a covered bridge near where I live. I have painted this in watercolor in the winter, but never in pastels. These are all pans and I think there is probably some tweaking that might need to be done, so I haven't signed it yet. Would really appreciate comments. I painted it on Ampersand Claybord with underpainting also done in pans...11 x 14. I really like the AS surface a lot better than the Claybord. Thanks!!!

Judith
  #822   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Judith....Beautiful painting again! Love the color of the tree's, reflection in the water and the rocks in the foreground and of course the covered bridge.
And I have noticed most of us have cats, that's why we are all so nice and get along so well!

Verla.... Welcome to this thread, Donna has done a wonderful job with it. And I remember your horse's eye, when I saw it I loved the reflection in it, very well done Verla!

Adiro.... Goodluck with your upcoming marriage, and I have to agree, this board is very addictive, but off course this one happens to be a Good addiction.

Donna.... Fani is doing another wonderful job on this painting, wow she paints on such a large scale. Dorothy has done a nice job on her still life, and Bev's monumental painting is coming along nicely.

Randi-Lee....That Loon (duck) that I was working on in class, I haven't touched it since Monday. I am not getting a good feeling from it, so I will leave it for awhile. That velour board was not cheap, so I don't really want to throw it away.

Cats and Dogs....I also have kept all my cats inside, My cat (american shorthair) "Kit" passed away 2 years ago at age 20 and my calico "Cappachino" passed away the same year at age 15, not once have they ever been outside and they never missed it i'm sure. My surviving cat "Mokie" (the bowling ball) is 16 years old, and is doing very well, she has never been outside either, I don't think she is really fat, she is just a big boned cat (himalyan/persion), about 30 lbs.
I also have a Jack Russell Terrorist who is 14 years old, and sometimes I look after my daughter's Jack Russell Terrorist.
I Love All animals, the more in my household the happier I am
  #823   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Judith: Great painting, I love covered bridges and would love to do a picture of one. We don't have any in my neck of the woods.l

Willie: The animals wait for you at the door, I know your husband doesn't. I would have a whole place full of animals if I could. Years ago I used to have 7 cats and 4 dogs. Along with the two horses now, all I have is my two babies.
  #824   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Judith- Very nice painting. I love the reflections in the water and all the different colours in the trees. You said you did the underpainting in pans. Did you draw it out and block in colours? Is it a dry underpainting or did you use water with the pans? I must know all the secrets.

Doug
  #825   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Donna- Thanks for posting all of the paintings. Fani's painting is very interesting. Those happy faces looking out at you while climbing on the railing. It just shows you that kids are kids where ever they are from. I love the "white" shirt on the little girl. There must be 5 or 6 different colours in it. I can't wait to see more.

Susan did a fantastic job on the fruit. The oranges have that orange peel texture. You are right, she did a great job on the pitcher. It looks old.

Dorothy did a fine job. I like how she handled the fabric. She used lots of colour in it. It will be interesting to see how she progresses with the pans now that she is studying with you.

Bev's painting is looking like an old statue. Which is good. She is really getting that hundreds of years old feeling. I can't wait for the next update.

I worked on my painting for a few minutes today. It is coming along. Maybe I will get it done tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Doug