WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1531   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast
Victoria, Texas

Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Prickly Pear, 99.9% PanPastel.

This is my second PanPastel, 5x7", on Soft Umber Colourfix Fine Tooth Pastel Paper. This time I used the triangular shaped sponge for almost all of this painting and found that I was able to do some fine line work by using an edge of the tip of the sponge. This allowed me to make short strokes, swiping my pan frequently between strokes to do a curved edge.

The area that looks sorta purple began as orange tint but then I decided I needed more contrast with the bloom so I worked over it with a mixture of the magenta and violet which gave me a smokey purple haze. I think I'll keep that color in mind for future projects.

Later this month I may buy the shades, and then the tints in March.

In the interest of full disclosure I did use a pastel pencil for the thorns on the pads and on the bud to the left. The colors on this photo are closer to the pastel IRL than the two I posted on a separate thread in the gallery section.
Attached Images

#1532   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:52 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I like your smoky purple haze, that is beautiful! Thanks for posting this. I love this painting.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #1533   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Live Oak, FL

Hails from United States

Looks good, Linda. Thanks for the info on your smokey haze purple.
  #1534   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Question: How do your pieces respond after you apply spray fixative?

I used my new pan pastels on a surface coated with colourfix primer, but the pastel will come off if touched. So I applied spray fixative, which seemed to dissolve and remove the light colours.

Thanks,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #1535   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

EP, the product Spectrafix is highly recommended for no changes when sprayed.
  #1536   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

EP, I own some SpectraFix fixative and it's true -- it doesn't change the colors at all. However, using a fixative doesn't mean necessarily that a pastel won't change if touched. I'd still be very careful not to touch them or let the cat run over the paintings. It's more for making sure the colors stick to the paper when it's tilted or something.

Also the SpectraFix mister spatters. I found laying it on pretty heavy was a better way to use it than the lighter coats I used with spray fixatives. This may curl up thinner papers, though it's fine on 140lb watercolor paper or the same with Colourfix primer on it, or Colourfix paper (which is on that heavy stuff).

PastelMat doesn't need fixative, it's so much of a joy to use with Pans you may want to try some.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #1537   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

I got an email today that the PP trays are available. http://www.panpastel.com/products.html
Don't know $ or availability yet.

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #1538   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Live Oak, FL

Hails from United States

I got the same notice today. I know Dakota Art Pastels have them listed at $10.50 for the 20 pan size. Don't know if they have them yet or not. The notice only said they have been shipped to suppliers.
The darn s/h at Dakota is almost as much as one of the trays!
  #1539   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by texana6
Prickly Pear, 99.9% PanPastel.

This is my second PanPastel, 5x7", on Soft Umber Colourfix Fine Tooth Pastel Paper. This time I used the triangular shaped sponge for almost all of this painting and found that I was able to do some fine line work by using an edge of the tip of the sponge. This allowed me to make short strokes, swiping my pan frequently between strokes to do a curved edge.

The area that looks sorta purple began as orange tint but then I decided I needed more contrast with the bloom so I worked over it with a mixture of the magenta and violet which gave me a smokey purple haze. I think I'll keep that color in mind for future projects.

Later this month I may buy the shades, and then the tints in March.

In the interest of full disclosure I did use a pastel pencil for the thorns on the pads and on the bud to the left. The colors on this photo are closer to the pastel IRL than the two I posted on a separate thread in the gallery section.

Wow! Striking, texana6! Great going! The Soft Umber Colourfix is my favorite color---well, my "default color." Aubergine is my other great favorite, in general, but for PanPs, I like the paler colors more since it goes on so wonderfully sheer-ly. And I do think you'll be happy with the addition of the shades. Do you mean the newest darkest? They are grand! Enjoy enjoy!!! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #1540   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepaint
Question: How do your pieces respond after you apply spray fixative?

I used my new pan pastels on a surface coated with colourfix primer, but the pastel will come off if touched. So I applied spray fixative, which seemed to dissolve and remove the light colours.

Thanks,

Hi, eyepaint! The way to apply spray fixative is to spray on one very quick, even, once-over spray of fix---and then walk away for at least two minutes while the fix dries. Then come back and spray again---once over very quickly---then walk away! Repeat as many times as necessary to get the coverage you need. This way (yes, it takes a bit of time---FAR less than it took to paint the painting!!!) you never get darkening of your work!

Now, I very rarely find it necessary to fix my PanPastel paintings. I only do when I am layering a LOT of levels or laying on a very heavy, thick layer of PanP. Oh---I also fix if I need to isolate previous layers from a new layer where I do not want to disturb the under color---a bit like glazing an oil painting.

Heavy spraying will darken pastel---and I have also used that to advantage when I needed to darken a particular area. It can be a quick and easy way to darken a corner rather than repainting it. You don't want to get the fixative on too heavily or it will make a hard coating that will not work with (match) the rest of the painting.

But---with PanPastels, most of the time you don't need to fix at all! Yea! Donna ;-}

#1541   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

You're so right about that, Donna! Especially since I got into the PastelMat, I don't use fixative at all on it.

But even on Colourfix sometimes it doesn't need it. It didn't really on the Colourfix primed canvas board.

#1542   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Still wish there was a way to set it well enough that I could paint on canvas and forget the glass framing with these wonderful sheer colors! Pam
  #1543   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

FINALLY received my trays today from Dakota!!! Yeah!!! So much easier to use and to store - they should have come out with these right away.

Lynn
  #1544   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Yea!!!!!, Lynn! They really are marvelous! And I know that the trays have been part of the plans for a long time, but it's amazing allllll the considerations and test pieces and finessing, etc. that went on just to get that "right version!" and then arranging for the manufacturer and then getting that done and then----and then----! So it's great to have them out on the market now! Enjoy! Enjoy!!! Donna ;-}

#1545   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Lynn, it's so great you got your trays. I can't wait to get some, they're going to make it so convenient.

Donna, you're right. They've been constantly working on developing these products and I can imagine how many versions they had to go through to get it right.