WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How do you like to paint pastel?
on easel 147 65.04%
on table or desk 61 26.99%
other 18 7.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 AM

easel or table?

I was wondering how you work with pastels, on easel or on table. I also do oils and therefor have an easel but I rather work on table when doing pastels. Perhaps it's because at school we're learned to draw on a table.
I know theres an advantage using on an easel in that way the dust falls of the painting instead of discoloring other parts but I have the feeling I can't push hard on an easel. Maybe buying a heavier easel will work.
What are your preferences about this matter?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: easel or table?

You'll want to do your pastels on an easel - your colors will muddy with too much dust laying on top of the painting.

I don't think you will be putting too much pressure on your pastels - layering your colors, just like in oils, takes a light touch.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

I voted easel because that's what I primarily use. Sometimes I use a heavy hand, and have never had a problem of tipping the easel, but then I use a Julien French easel (i.e. 3 legs), and a strudy backing board.

That being said, there is a legitmate way of painting flat on a table without having a problem with dust. Susan Bennerstrom, a highly successful pastel artist from Bellingham Washington, works this way. It requires one to finger blend the painting, and to do this successfully and not end up with "ugly mud", you need to know color theory and your pastels very well. Use a strudy print makers' paper so it can withstand the rough handling of being constantly rubbed, experiement, and you'll have a fun time and different appearing pastel painting done on a table. If you are interested in further info on this method, just let me know. (Yes, Bluefish, the "diamonds" are crushed , but who cares if you like what you're doing! )

Peggy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I mostly use my easel except when I'm rubbing color into a background and I don't want to lose all of that precious dust. Also, when putting dark color above a light area ( like a dark sky over snow) I'll do this on a table so I don't get streaks of dark dust that dirty up the light area. I learned this the hard way.

Donna T
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

If you work flat you still have to lift up your paper vertically to remove the access dust periodically - so it seems easier to just work vertically on an easel. I work on an easel and, when working on paper (as opposed to velour or sanded paper) I blend constantly with my fingers. I use a French Easel, so a big sturdy easel is not really necessary (I have one of those too for my oil painting). I used to work flat - the easel definitely works better!

Don
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

I use both, a raised table and an easel for my oil pastels. Depends on the size. Larger work goes on the easel and smaller work on the table.

Pat
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

I wouldn't trade my easel for anything. I've seen people do beautiful pastel work from flat on a table, but all I seemed to make was mud. I thought it would be hard to adjust to working completely vertical, but it only took a painting or two to fall in love with that method and that is all I do now.

And for plein air - it is my pochade
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
A Local Legend

I do almost all my pastel work on a drafting table with the surface tilted to about a 30 degree angle - I have a large sink next to it so I can lift the piece and shake off the excess dust - and as Peggy knows, I 'crush' the heck out of those diamonds of pastel particles - I have to do this bare footed because the colors are so vivid and bright that they blow my socks off ! and I work large!

I've done so much blending with my fingers with the pastel skys that I recently utilized the same technique in some large acrylic paintings of massive skys(crushed those little acrylic guys)!........'bluefish'
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Hey Peggy, I would really be interested in the method that Susan Bennerstrom uses working on a table instead of an easel. I still haven't been entirely confortable with the easel. Really a 30 degree angle like bluefish was talking about sounds about right for me. Could you pass along that info for me and maybe someone else here would be interested also. Thanks!

nana b
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana b
Hey Peggy, I would really be interested in the method that Susan Bennerstrom uses working on a table instead of an easel. I still haven't been entirely confortable with the easel. Really a 30 degree angle like bluefish was talking about sounds about right for me. Could you pass along that info for me and maybe someone else here would be interested also. Thanks!

nana b

OK - it's really pretty simple. Start by knowing your composition before hand - draw it out in the same size as your painting will be, and make all corrections on the drawing before transferring it to your pastel paper. Use pastel to do your drawing on your painting - not charcoal. This can be a simple drawing of just the contour lines, but it needs to all be in the correct position. Start at the top and work you way across the paper - left to right if right handed and right to left if left handed. Put down your darkest value (in that area) and rub it into the surface of the paper. Add the next value and do likewise, ect. I think the "key" to keeping it clean is to work top to bottom. This can be confusing as you won't have your lightest lights or darkest darks placed in their proper places all over the painting to know what the balance will be unless you have a "vision" of it in mind. You can adjust some values in all places once it is finished. When done, Susan sprays hers with either Las Caux or Daler Rowney workable fixative. Lay the painting flat and spray back and forth in one direction. Give it a quarter turn and do it again, than a third turn and spray and then a fourth turn and spray. Use a light spray each time. I suggest you play a bit first with just mixing colors over colors to see what they produce. Some fabulous grays can be made this way - and so can some mud! The constant rubbing is a bit hard on my arthritic fingers so if you have that problem be aware.

This is a painting that was done right after I took a workshop from Susan many years ago:

Full Moon 9x12, Unison pastels, printmakers' paper

When driving home afterwards, the full moon was above the mountains in bright beautiful glory. I did several full moon paintings - all from memory. This is the only one I have left. Some subtle value changes don't show in this photo, but I think you can get the idea.

Peggy
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wow Peggy, your full moon in the clouds is beautiful! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the information. I appreciate it very much!

nana b
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2007, 06:37 AM
A Local Legend
South Africa

Hails from South Africa

I mostly use the easel,or the table easel when I want to have more of an angle.
with soft pastels that is.

Retha

[url]http://www.southafricanartists.com/showartist.asp?Code=DUTOI005[/url]
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
A Local Legend

Peggy and Nana:

What Peggy describes above is exactly the way I work on the tilted drafting table, although not right to left or vise versa. After finished, you go in and highlight certain areas. Of course, you have to know where you're going when you start and have the composition, values, colors, etc., stored in the right side of the brain - just push the button and out they flow!......'bluefish'
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont

Hails from United States

I ordered my easel just two weeks after beginning to work with pastels. I had fallen in love with the medium, and knew I'd need an easel for ergonomic reasons, especially for smaller pieces (I need to be able to look straight at what I am doing, and to move around). I didn't buy an expensive easil, but it does have stability and the ability to tilt that I was looking for. I really need an easel with 4 legs because I have 3 energetic cats and a curious beagle. I tend to work pretty much all over the painting, and the easel keeps my sleeves from messing things up as I go from one part to another.

I do a lot of blending, and even on my larger pieces don't have a lot of dust. Maybe because I tend to apply layers sparingly and build up.

The only time I had a lot of dust was when I tried out LaCarte pastel card- it tended to eat my pastels. I also catch the dust and turn it into sticks of lovely shadow shades when I have enough.

Dayle Ann

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly... (anonymous)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Hey there bluefish! And where is that button? I know when I'm in the right side of my brain, I can feel it, (don't laugh, I swear I can ) ,but can't always switch over whenever I wish. You made it sound so easy I thought maybe you had a secret. And also I have another question. Do you use a bridge or something along that line to keep your sleeves, wrist, arms and elbows off of your painting as you are working?
As soon as you answer these two questions I'm going to set up on the table and give it a try! I don't have a sink in here so don't know yet where I'm going to dump the pastel dust.

nana b